DO NOT USE the "Close the Garage Door Rule or Shortcut" until you understand that it might OPEN, then CLOSE the garage door

Good to know! You r very welcome!

@WyzeHongfei

Is there any way to disable rules or schedules that rely upon the calibration? Perhaps an alert/email to the user… big flashing red indication in the app that it is out of calibration, and the rules or schedules that close the door will not run until device is recalibrated?

I’d rather have my app flashing red and/or notify me that the rule is not going to run, than have my door open unexpectedly if the door camera is out of calibration.

I have disabled this feature because of this issue.

SJ

The challenge here is that the v3 camera doesn’t know if it is out of calibration or if the door is open.

The camera uses the QR code sticker on the garage door to determine if the door is closed or open. If the camera cannot detect the QR code sticker in the ‘garage door fully closed’ position for a certain time + motion detected in the frame, the camera will think the door is open.

In the software, if the v3 camera does not see the QR code in the ‘closed door’ spot once after 5 times of open/close control via the app controller button, the app will notify user that the calibration is needed.

1 Like

Nope, that’s how it worked for me too.

Is there any chance that, for those of that own a Sense Hub & Entry Sensor, that the GDC can use an Entry Sensor to determine the status of the Garage Door instead of the QR Code?

I’ve lost confidence in ever using the QR Code method to determine my door’s status.

SJ

All Wyze has to do is make some firmware and app changes to support it. I’d buy a GDC if they made the changes:

1 Like

@WyzeHongfei On a related, but unrelated note I did the following this evening, because this is what I do for entertainment on Friday nights :slight_smile:

I was documenting my Rules and Shortcuts in a spreadsheet this evening in an attempt to bring some sort of order the chaos of the rules in the app… I started with the Shortcuts…

I saved, and exited back to the main screen, and tapped on ‘Close Garage Door’ resulting in:

1. The fully garage door opened, and stayed open (this actually makes sense, as all the GDC system is doing is pushing the button… and that it did as asked… pushed the garage door button, resulting in the door changing states

2. I pushed the Shortcut “Close Garage Door” again to… close the garage door. it closed… and then seconds later, it proceeded to fully open and stay in the fully open postion

3. I pushed the “Close Garage Door” shortcut button again…and it Opened (normal, but not normal)… and then it opened again…

4. I then opened the V3 Camera associated with the GDC and tapped the “Controller Button” to close the garage door, and this time it closed, and stay closed.

Take away from this Fun Friday Evening… Don’t create a Shortcut to Close your Garage Door ?

Not sure which log will have record of what occurred, so here’s both logs:

iPhone Log ID: 656274
Android Emulated phone on Windows 11 log ID: 656285

Off to delete that shortcut as I don’t want to accidentally open my garage door (Nice of have a routine in Alexa that announces on my Echo Show 10 gen 3, that the garage door is opening or is closed triggering form the Wyze Contact Sensor in use on the garage door…)

SJ

2 Likes

Hi Hongfei, It’s back to not closing again. Actually not been functioning properly for a few days. Not only that, even when it wasn’t closing on schedule, etc before, I could at least close it via the app. Now it’s not even doing that. I have to walk to the garage and press the button like a caveman! I tried calibrating again, I check the box that it is closed and click next, but nothing happens. Not sure what to do next., except I’m about to submit logs.

2 Likes

GARAGE DOOR RULE DOES NOT WORK === CREATES A DANGEROUS SAFETY SECURITY ISSUE.

I created a rule to close the garage door at midnight if I forgot to do it myself in the evening. It happened last night. The door did close but then 10 seconds later the opener beeped its warning and the door reopened and stayed open. So I know the reopen is triggered by the wyze controller, this was not some obstacle in the door way.
I made multiple tests, daytime, night time, camera position never changed. Always the same thing. Door will close, then reopen and stay open.

Wyze are you promoting burglaries ??

Rules deactivated until this is fixed.

3 Likes

@marcopolo its most likely because the camera failed to see the QR code so it assumes the door is open and triggers the system. The issue is, it doesnt have a different trigger to open or close its the same signal. So the signal is sent and your garage door opens (when wyze thinks its closing).
I deactivated mine because even if you re-calibrate your QR code you’ll experience the same issue after a few days.
Super disappointed in Wyze on this since it seems to be a very common issue among users and you would imagine this would have been discovered in their testing.

3 Likes

Thank you! Disappointing but very interesting.

I also have a smartthing Samsung inclination sensor that gives a reliable reading if open or close status. I wish I could link it into the wyze conditional rules but alas, no.

Thanks again

Yep, same problem here, the door should ‘never’ open when instructed to close.

2 Likes

Hmmm. Last time I tried using mine, I would wake up to an open garage door. If the door was closed at the scheduled time, it would open and stay open. If it was open, it would shut like it’s supposed to. I never could get it to leave it closed if it were already closed and also close it at the specified time when it was open.

Maybe I should try it again? I don’t leave my garage open often but it’d be nice to have a backup plan to shut it in the rare instance that I do leave it open.

1 Like

Well, this thread is super disappointing and very concerning. The reason I purchased/installed the GDC was to keep the dogs from escaping an open garage door. The idea was to set up a rule ‘if open more than x min, then close’. Now, if the GDC can’t reliably determine if the door is open or closed, then how can this work? If the QR calibration drifts or vibration from the garage door opener jiggles the camera a bit, then the GDC might OPEN a closed garage door. Totally unacceptable. There needs to be a more robust detection approach - or a ‘2 factor’ rule (adding a sensor or…something…to minimize the false detections that could lead to disaster (for me)). I may unpower the GDC and leave the camera running so I can manually check on the status of the door. Which defeats the entire purpose…

3 Likes

Fully agree. Very disappointing and by the time I realized the flaws I was outside of the return date. There are competitors that have better products and they let you grant “guest” permissions so a friend/neighbor a let your dogs out or such (hint hints wyze on what I wish you would also do).

For those who want a larger QRcode poster, but would rather just print it on their home printer, this tool will turn a PDF into letter-sized segments. Tape them together, and they make a larger version of any image.

2 Likes

Just got my GDC a month or so go and am frustrated and concerned that this happens. I have a rule to close late in the evening, as do many of you.

I was alarmed that it didn’t simply recognize that the door was closed and not execute the action defined in the rule. It opened for 30 seconds and closed.

This is a severe functionality flow and a security one as well.

I wouldn’t comment, but this is a major blame for the Wyze developers to know about this and NOT correct it after so long.

2 Likes

I had the same thing happen to me today. I had a rule set to close the garage door at a specific time everyday. Today while the door was already closed it just opened at that time even though the door was shut. I freaked out and had the garage door clicker near buy and clicked it to close it before it fully opened just to have the door automatically open again on its own just seconds after I had closed it.

After reading the comments I believe my camera which is mounded to the under side of my garage door motor being held on by the magnets in with Wyze camera. The camera vibrates a bit when the door is opening or closing. I suspect this vibration over time moves the camera till it is out of calibration.

I think the Wyze software team need to have some code that if the QR Code is at all visible not to close the door but if it detects the QR Code is not in its calibrated spot to make text appear on the app over the cameras image requesting the owner re-calibrate the QR Code again.

Here is my idea for solving this problem. Instead of sticking the QR Code completely to garage door mount the QR Code on a rigid piece of plastic and run a piece of tap along the top edge to act as a hinge. As the door opens the QR Code will still be visible as the hinge bends. The QR code will then come closer and closer to the camera and appear larger. Then the Wyze programming code would be if the QR Code appears small the door is closed. If the QR Code is large then the door is open. This means even if the camera moves a bit over time from vibration the relative QR Code size difference will still be the same. The calibration will be the size differential.

1 Like

I was just editing my post because I saw some typos I wanted to fix but now I can’t find my original post at all. I will try to be brief if in case it pops up.

I had the same thing happen. Set a rule to close the garage door at a certain time everyday. That time came around and even though the door was already closed it opened and then closed. I believe the camera over time moved because of vibrations of the garage door motor when the door opens and closes. I have the camera mounded using the magnetic bottom of the camera to the bottom of my garage door opener. I think the Wyze software team need to add a condition that if the QR code is visible at all not to send a signal when the rule to close it is triggered. It should send a message or display text over the camera video feed saying the camera is out of alignment and to re-calibrate it.

Here is my solution to this problem. Mount the QR code to a piece of rigid plastic. Tape the plastic to the garage door by running a piece of tape along the top edge which will act as a hinge. When the door is shut the QR code will appear small in the camera. When the door is open the hinge will let the weight of the plastic bend the hing keeping the QR code visible even when the door is fully open but because now the QR code is closer to the camera it will appear much much larger. The Wyze programming code should be when the QR code is small the door is closed. When the QR code is large it the door is open. You would still need to calibrate it once to set the size differential but it wouldn’t matter anymore if the camera moves around a bit. It just need to see the QR code and determine its size if it is small or large. It doesn’t even have to be that accurate as the difference between small and large will be huge.

Sounds like a good work around and great if it works for you. Probably the better approach is to have Wyze support act on this simple request and actually update their environment.

Way too often there are bugs and almost zero firmware updates. I have a slew of their products that haven’t had a firmware update in a long long time.

2 Likes