Since the window mount has been out of stock I figured I’d share a tip:
You can construct your own window mount rather easily with 3M Command Black Picture Hanging Strips. It’s about $8 US for 12 pairs of strips.
Here’s my first attempt:
- The strips are Velcro so it’s easy to mount the camera and take it off whenever I clean or open my sliding window.
- I tried using white strips but they produce too much glare, so definitely use the black ones instead.
- There’s a reason the official Wyze window mount is a wide rectangle instead of a compact square shape; the extra width helps block reflections you’ll see along the sides if you have dual pane windows.
- You can also stick a tiny piece over the microphone and it effectively blocks all sound. This is handy because you’re mounting it indoors; I don’t like the chance of it hearing my private conversations.
- I ended up repositioning the strips after taking this photo, nudging them outward a little. They were too close up to the image sensor, so don’t copy my photo exactly.
- Obviously you need to turn off the IR emitters, so this works best with the v3 cam and it’s incredible night sensor.
This is a fairly easy option if you want to try out window mounting and can’t wait for the official ones to be in stock. I’ve had my camera up for a couple weeks so far and it’s been working great!