Dissing Customers

Wyse just sent out an email noting that they will no longer support the cameras,

1 Like

Hey friend!

It makes us sad to say, but some good things must come to an end. After almost 5 amazing years, we’ll be retiring Wyze Cam v1 on February 1, 2022 as it can no longer support a necessary security update.

You can still use your Wyze Cam v1 after this date,* but as our End-of-Life policy states, Wyze will no longer sell, improve, or maintain Wyze Cam v1.

The original Wyze Cam will always hold a special place in our hearts, and we want to take a moment to say thank you. You chose to support our very first product at Wyze. You put us on the map. You allowed us to pursue our mission to democratize technology… And look at us now. :slight_smile:

We could not have gotten here without you. Thank you.

1 Like

I don’t have any V1 cams but that does sucks if you do, thanks.

So 5 years for “End of Life” so does that mean in 4 years the V3’s will be at their End of Life, and a Year and a Half for V2’s to be End of Life?

I have 16 V3’s & 8 V2’s - Do not plan on buying anymore as everything is covered…

If the V2 & V3 both suffer this fate I won’t replace them with a Wyze product as 5 years seems like a short life span for a product that you also pay a subscription on too…

(Edit) yes I know the subscription is not required, but for the camera to be actually useful you do need CamPlus subscription.

1 Like

Five years for technology - count your blessings. Note that it said you can still use your old V1 cameras.

2 Likes

Talk about planned obsolescence. I have 8 v1s, which now have to be replaced. The next cameras will not be from Wyze. Hey Wyze, thank you for the $3 coupon. That will really go a long way especially since your shipping charges are exorbitant, and you have to spend $125 to get free shipping.

Sure, you can continue to use them but at your own risk. Per Wyze: You can still use your Wyze Cam v1 after this date, but as our End-of-Life policy states, Wyze will no longer sell, improve, or maintain Wyze Cam v1. Please note that one consequence of retiring the Wyze Cam v1 is that Wyze will no longer be actively monitoring for and patching new security vulnerabilities for that product. As a result, your continued use of the Wyze Cam v1 after February 1, 2022 carries increased risk, is discouraged by Wyze and is entirely at your own risk.

This company really started out as a different and refreshing tech company. Now it’s like all the rest.

1 Like

Only at your own risk. Wyze advises against it

1 Like

Come on folks, how is this different than it was 10 minutes ago, on the V1, V2, V3, Logitech camera, or electric pencil sharpener? Everything is at your own risk. It always is. So they won’t be updating firmware any more. So what? The fact that they WILL still allow it to access all Wyze services, store images, get AI, etc., is great news.

6 Likes

BTW, yur smoke detectors prolly need to be replaced too leaving

My electric pencil sharpener can’t be hacked

Hear me out: Wyze is not dissing anybody. This is the old V1 camera we paid a ridiculously low $20 for… 1/4 to 1/6 the cost of every other competitor in 2017!

All they are saying is the V1 will no longer receive security fixes. They didn’t turn it off. You might someday fall victim of a future computer worm that that embeds in the old V1 cameras and does whatever it does. It is a risk. Just like driving an old car without collision avoidance systems. You will rear end someone without the car stopping for you.

Think of this: Would you have bought the camera if it cost $80 and lasted another 5 years? Would you pay double back in 2010 for iPhone 4 for the promise of 10 year life? Apple would need your extra money to pay for ruggedized hardware and the larger sustaining organization as it takes to code today’s cyber security risks for a 10 year old hardware, then test, field trial, and release the updates on obsolete hardware that barely handles todays memory hogging web sites and apps, and takes rather crappy photos too.

Yet, I do think it is cheesy that no vendors are forced by government to actually state the true workable life of the products we buy. Fact is, many have bought products that actually go dead when the start-up company that made it went bankrupt (or was acquired by Google, famous for killing the companies they buy…).

Speaking as a career product developer and system engineer, planned obsolescense is a thing! We had to design to very stiff cost limits, fancy new features, performance and an “expected life” of “If it fails at this age, buyers at least tolerate it and return to the brand” age.

Wyze is on the very edge doing quite amazing things at very disruptive prices that piss off the incumbents. These are WiFi networked, full color, low light monochrome now very low light color 1080 cameras at a $30 price with free app and no subscription! At $30 price, Wyze went for the long game: encourage multiple cameras purchases, and keep throwing enticing stuff our way at stupid low, industry disruptive prices. Now we are hooked an ecosystem and buying lightbulbs we never imagined buying… and irrigation controller (I love that thing, very inexpensive too), noise canceling headphones (just good enough, so inexpensive). So cheap that my original V2 cameras are slowly ending up in a box because I so love the V3 low light camera I just want it.

So, I do wish you had purchased your cameras with some indication of how long the thing will realistically be useful, but no vendor will tell you unless all will. (I think all JEEP dealers should be forced to obtain signed customer copies of Consumer Reports repair history for that ridiculously unreliable car…)

Still reading? I’m sorry. I show expert perspective, view from the inside because I want consumers to know what is going on.

3 Likes

Please do tell us what you do choose to buy next, and how you were able to determine what that vendor guarantees for server and security support! (I am actually curious)

BTW, a bazillion internet routers are still in use with insecure software and no fixes being offered. It is scary!

1 Like

It’s different because they JUST sold me 2. I got them as backups and for extra places. They should never have sold them to me 2 WEEKS AGO without disclosing this. Period.

What? Wyze just sold you two V1 cameras? How?? I’ve been a customer for several years and I’ve never even seen a V1 camera anywhere, let alone in Wyze’s online store.

2 Likes

The v1 has not been sold by Wyze in probably at least 3 years

5 Likes

There hasn’t been an update to a V1 in 2 years. Why? Because they aren’t capable. Did you really think all technology is supported forever?

And there has never been a V1 in the store in my experience.

Maybe you mean the V1 of some other camera? Not the indoor fixed-view camera?

1 Like

I just suspect @legalprincess371 is confused, bought some black V2s or some V3s, and now mistakenly thinks they are losing support along with the V1s.

1 Like

Not true. I just got them in the mail, from Wyze this week. It was their garage sale.

Nope. Just got them delivered. It was the garage sale. Nonetheless, it wasn’t disclosed when they sent the order last week.

They did not sell any v1’s in the garage sale

5 Likes