Displaying Wyze Cam on Echo Show - Stays on/up

I mistakenly muted (not- turned the volume down), my 2nd Gen Echo Show 8, and the picture stays up for hours. Ordinarily, it minimizes down to 1/8th-1/9th of the screen up to the left corner. But when its muted, with the red alert banner across the bottom, the picture stays up and active.

Thought it would be useful to know. This could be just a fluke. But until Amazon realizes its working so well, then changes it to mess us up, this works.

3 Likes

I have a routine that pulls my WVDB up on my Echo show 15 when the doorbell is pushed and get the same result. Has been like that almost since day one of setting this routine up with the Show 15.

The video will corner itself and has ran for days before, where I had to manually exit the window.

2 Likes

When, when I have an announcement occurring to alert me to the Show 8 receiving the camera’s image, the announcement triggers (after about 10 minutes) the screen minimizes up to the left corner. The screen has a message “No photos to display”. and her voice says, “No photos found in the calendar”. (What the heck?, I am not trying to show the calendar, but that’s what she says).

Trying to stop this action, trying to stop it from displaying that “No Photo’s to display”, I contacted Alexa Support. Waste of time. They had me do screen shots of the message, of my routine because they didn’t believe the “messaging > announce” command was causing this. I spent two hours on the phone with them, and got no where while the passed me around to different people. After the 9th support person, I hung up, giving up on them for assistance.

When I removed the “messaging > announcement” message I was sending to myself, that particularly problem ceased. But it still minimized into the left corner, just no message.

I have token pictures in the Amazon cloud so the Show’s can Display them, but I don’t want any displaying. I know that message is not a result of there NOT being photos. Photos are there. So, that message is not looking at the regular photo stored location. That confuses everyone at Alexa support, I think. And certainly me.

I think that when we share these quirts to get stuff to work or stop doing something, it helps us all.

I also noticed, that sometimes that camera can’t display on the Show 8. The Alexa messages says “something is happened, or something is wrong” (I don’t remember exactly what. When it does this, I used my handy-dandy Smart Plug and turn it off and back on. This camera is mounted inside a metal porch style street light, where no one can see it. This light has only a bulb, not outlet. So, I used a screw in Outlet Socket adapter that had two each two-prong outlets. Of course the next issue was the Smart plug has a three prong plug, and there was not room for a grounding outlet adapter. I put the Smart plug in a vice and cut the grounding lug off, and painted the metal stub with liquid electrician’s tape. So, now I know the Smart plug can work (as it should) with only the two prongs.

So, wondering why this camera starts having this problem, I tested and discovered, if I left that same camera up on either one of my iPad or on my phone, it appears that camera can’t reliably handle streams to two screens. Making sure I am using one screen at a time, has made a difference.