Disable cloud -- keep push notifications

One of the good things about wyze is thecloud storage. If you don’t want it then go with eufy.

Just to add to this, if the cam loses power even for a split second you will have to go through the process again of plugging them into internet and letting them setup.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the real killjoy in this scheme! :rage:

Same issue. Trying to remotely monitor a boat where all I have for internet is a phone with 15GB per month of hotspot. Would like to get Person detected notification without sending data to the cloud, just send it to the SD card

(Mod Note: previous title: Independent Wyze Cam Local storage features)

On Wyze Cam, currently there’s no way to turn off cloud recording, and still get notifications, detections, and alarms for local recording to micro SD card.

When recording to local storage, detection shouldn’t be dependent on also recording to cloud storage. Also push notifications shouldn’t be limited by the cloud storage recording limit (every 5 minutes).

If only recording to local storage, detection should be local, and Google/Apple push notifications shouldnt be throttled/limited. This setup would improve the functionality of the camera, satisfy those that don’t want to record to the cloud, and should be cheaper for wyze (less cloud costs).

1 Like

PLease separate out the Motion/Sound detection settings from Cloud Storage of videos… Motion/Sound detection should be able to store selected clips to Local SD cards ONLY (without storing them in the cloud)

2 Likes

On the Cam App, under Settings/Notifications, I want to be able to receive Notifications from Motion and/or Sound Events WITHOUT HAVING TO TURN ON EVENT RECORDING…

ALSO, I want to be able to make the Notification Sound different for Each Camera.

Why, so if someone enters my back door, front door, garage, barn, etc, I will get a different Notification Sound on my phone. I will know what camera saw the Motion without having to Open the App and look at the Videos. This is also why I do not need to see the recorded video. I dont care who came in or out the door, I just need to know that someone did.

This simple feature would make your Cams much more useful to me and I’m sure others as well.

This has been launched

4 Likes

I tend to agree. When I bought my first Wyzecam, it worked great. It sent me notifications, and I could rely on checking videos recorded to my SD card via playback on the app without a server storing any video. I now have 8 cameras installed (including a doorbell and floodlight, and 4 more cameras I might install. But lately, the cameras all stopped recording to the SD cards for a time, and only returned to functionality lately. I’ve had to reinstall and update all of them, and they still weren’t all functioning correctly. They’ve become nearly useless and I have no desire to invest in a monthly service for each one that is sketchy, at best. I’m not interested in 12 second videos, if something is recorded, I want to to be able to see all of it from my local storage on SD. I only want a Notification if I need to check video (of any length) recorded on my SD card. That model is what I thought I bought initially when I bought a Wyzecam, but that hasn’t worked reliably, especially lately. That approach should not require a monthly fee or a server to store my video files.

Agreed, I have eight cameras as well with the same issues. If i’m now going to have to pay for each camera for the same services I was getting, then it will be cheaper for me to go with other cameras from another company. this 5 min interval is BS.

You do not have to pay, you can put in an amount of zero

2 Likes

I’m not understanding how the feature request of disable cloud but keep push notifications has been launched? Is it not true that the thumbnails are stored in the cloud? If the thumbnails of events are stored in the cloud, then how can the cloud be considered disabled?

As long as anything is being uploaded to the cloud, whether it’s a video or a thumbnail, then I think this feature request still stands and shouldn’t be marked as launched.

2 Likes

Yea same, cloud still seems like a requirement here sadly

1 Like

Also in agreement with you there Ree. Notifications only generate from the server side Event Videos (when they work)…ie Cloud. With Event Recording off…but SD Card recording on…ie No Cloud, there are no notifications.

Trying to track down source of upload bandwidth consumption and I think I’m down to my Wyzecams, which I use no cloud services for. However, they are all enabled to record events to local SD cards. Does this imply that it’s streaming data to the cloud? Why would that be?

Welcome to the Wyze User Community Forum @jeremyenos! :raising_hand_man:

Even when not recording and uploading video, the cams will communicate minimally with the cloud servers on startup and occasionally when reestablishing lost communication.

If you have the Event Recording settings “Record Motion Events” or “Record Sound Events” enabled in the Cam Settings, it is uploading video to the cloud. These Events are found in the Events Tab.

With those settings disabled, except for the possibility of user rules generated uploads, there should be no upload bandwidth used except for the initial startup sequence.

Thanks for the rapid reply. I guess I’ll have to disable event recording if it has to send to the cloud, which I don’t understand, but I believe you. Why wouldn’t the camera, on detected motion, just record the event locally to the SD card? This makes no sense to me why enabling that would force cloud upload.

Micro SD Card Recording and Cloud Event Recording are two separate and independent functions set in two different settings menus. The Event Recording menu mentioned above is only for the Cloud Events uploaded to the server and shown in the Events tab.

The micro SD Card recording settings are in a different place. To enable the micro SD Card Recording go to the Advanced Settings menu in the Cam Settings. Enable Record to micro SD. Choose either Continuous Recording or Motion Events. These videos will be accessed from the “Playback” button at the bottom of the Live Stream page.

UPDATE :point_down:

When your phone is using the same WiFi as the cam, viewing the Live Stream or microSD Card recordings will not adversely affect your bandwidth. After the initial connection, these are maintained locally thru a Peer to Peer connection on your local WiFi.

If you live stream or view SD Card Playback footage from another network or from mobile cellular, the cams will be sending that video thru the internet to your phone and they will use upload bandwidth.

When viewing Cloud Event Video in the Events tab while on your WiFi, you are also using download bandwidth from the servers.

I could have sworn I just enabled micro SD motion event recording, but I’ll have to double check to be sure when I next am able to. I thought the motion detect in the cloud was a paid (or free trial after cam install) service only though. I’m quite certain I’m not paying nor am I in a trial period, so that wouldn’t make sense either. I’ll know more after I review the configs.

Yes. If there is no subscription, the cam will upload a thumbnail snapshot upon motion rather than a video, wait 5 minutes, and then wait for the next upload. There are, however, exceptions to this if you are using sound detection uploads.