Different Alert Sound for Wyze Notifications

I came here this evening to raise this same question that has apparently been brewing here for some time. Allow me to illustrate with a very real-world example–my own.

I have a basic Wyze camera in my garage. I added a Wyze Sense contact sensor to monitor my garage door. I have the app set up to notify every time the garage door opens or closes, and when the door has been open for longer than a given time. It all works beautifully with the exception of the notifications. All three notifications use the same sound–the sound also used by the Walmart app to alert me that I haven’t spent enough money there. (and several other apps use the same tone).

This weekend I set up a second camera (a pan/tilt model) to monitor one of the two litterboxes in the house. We have two cats at present and someone has been leaving illicit deposits outside that litter box. When that motion sense trips, we want to see it ASAP and see what’s going on down there. And of course, its the same sound as ther garage uses.

This afternoon, that default tone sounded, it might have been the garage door, it might have been Walmart, Kroger or one of several other stores that miss us, or it might have been that one of my cats was using the litter box. But right after that alert, another alert sounded on my devices. I knew in under a second that the Ring doorbell at my front door had detected motion. And I’ll admit that I laughed. It can’t be all that hard adding custom sounds if Ring did it.

Here’s the bottom line. Yes, i could use an additional app or two to give the Wyze alerts unique sounds. I could handle it, but my wife would have a cat. She’s not an engineer or a tech geek like me. If Wyze wants to grow market share and revenue, it needs an app that can give the desired results to my non-tech wife (“it just works”) along with the flexibility I prefer (“hmmm… if I do this and this, I could probably do that. Let’s build it and see.”)

It all depends on what Wyze wants where the company wants the future to go. The app as it is isn’t usable for serious security applications. When we get an alert, we need to know what it is, preferably without having to look at the screen.

Thanks!

D.

4 Likes

DFC, Whew!!! I kept expecting to read that you had an intruder or some serious security issue that you ignored due to being numb to the alert since it’s the same as all the alerts you mentioned. Thank goodness that wasn’t what you came here to say.

This option not being offered is a real problem. I too have sensors on the front door and our garage door. I have the alert sound off which I’d love to have on during the night but it’d be sounding off for other things and would probably just be ignored. Or I’d be waken up constantly with them all going off.

It’s a shame that my device alerts aren’t even turned on during the most vulnerable time (at night while we sleep). This is becoming a deal breaker unfortunately. We have 2 sensors and 4 cameras. I purchased my first camera when the company was brand new as in THE very first order batch so I feel a loyalty to Wyze but mannnnn, it seems like this option should have been available from the start or at least by now.

1 Like

Dude, I agree completely on ALL accounts :+1: it is irritating.

1 Like

Spot on suggestion! I would also add that we need to get notifications when we have our phones in Do Not Disturb mode. Possibly sending notifications as text messages which would allow us to setup a Favorite Contact which then would bypass the DND mode.

2 Likes

@UserCustomerGwen is there any news on this old request? Is in on the roadmap?

1 Like

yes ios sound defaut, then ability to change by camera please!

It’s been long enough. This request has been around for a couple of years… long before the Wyze Vacuum and Wyze Sprinkler “thing”. My Ring Camera says, “There’s a person at your Front Door”… wow… how about that!!! My Wyze cams (9 of them) all sound the same notification tone. Not good. The time is now to get this issue resolved.

3 Likes

Thanks. That helps. I was able to change mine to. How did u set different tone for diff camera … i did not see any option there. Only options I see is Wyze message and notification manager. Not sure whats the difference.

I think there should be capability to have diff notification tones either per camera, per type of event or both! And agree with other people’s saying … this is something “must have” for security related app … not just nice to have …

2 Likes

I just got 8 cameras yesterday and am relatively happy with them, but I see one huge problem that could be a deal breaker for me.
I have an angry, mentally ill, very nocturnal relative living with me temporarily who I discovered is a TlHIEF which is why I got these cameras.

The sound this App uses to alert me is the same sound my text message notifications use which is already all wrong because that is NOT gonna wake me up at 4 a.m. as he’s walking out the door with my television

PLEASE…change this! A security App that says it’s probably just my kid texting me for more money and uses a sound I can sleep through is not a solution to my problem. HELP!

2 Likes

If you have latest android version (I only know its possible for android, no idea abt iOS.), you can change the notification for Wyze app. You still cannot set different notification for different cameras or different devices as such, but at least at the app level you can do.

Go to Settings → Notifications → All Apps → Wyze

You can set there a different tone for wyze notifications.

However, in general they should have provision in the app itself. My cameras and my robot vacuum has same notification tone, which is annoying.

It was ok initially when they had just limited products, but with Wyze selling huge range of devices, and especially when some of the products are security related, this is a “must have” update.

2 Likes

Please add the ability to change the app so the notification sound for each device can be different. Presently each camera and the vacuum all use the (iPhone) tri-tone. It would be helpful to be able to determine whether the notification should be checked without physically checking the phone.

4 Likes

This feature is now in development. In the future, the Wyze app will have its own alert sound whenever your devices send a notification! :bell:

For example: If someone rings your Wyze Video Doorbell, your phone will be able to play a special sound that’s different from the other notifications you hear!

While we’re excited to work on this down the road, please keep in mind that plans could change and there’s no ETA to share quite yet! We’ll be sure to share any updates as we have them.

25 Likes

Love to hear this!

2 Likes

Thank you for adding updates to the wishlist and roadmap. Some of us were disappointed that this practice seemed to be abandoned for so long. It is wonderful to get some updates! Much respect for that.

5 Likes

Good things come to those that wait patiently!

Super excited to hear this news! :partying_face: :smiley:

6 Likes

Definitely agree. I’ve been hoping we’d build this feature for a while too, so I love that it’s my job to share the news with folks! :sparkles:

(We don’t have an ETA for when this will launch yet, but we’ll be sure to update everyone when it’s ready for release!)

11 Likes

This is GREAT NEWS!!!*
Not just a unique sound for the Wyze app.
It’s ESSENTIAL that the app is capable of a unique sound for each device notification!!!
Anything less than that is a waste of time.
Been boycotting the purchase of anything new from Wyze until this is resolved.
Looking forward to adding to my systems once it is.

3 Likes

myQ just added “Custom sound notification for garage door open and close events”. It’s nice that Wyze notifications will also be unique.

Speaking of WiFi garage door controller… :wink:

2 Likes

Interesting. I have one of those. Any idea when it will be ready? The only notification I really get is when it’s left open for a while, but it would be good to know when that’s the notification I hear.

If Wyze allows different notification sounds for each device, that’d be awesome, especially if we can customize it, like “back door open” text to speech.

1 Like