Detection Zone and V3 Camera

I have several V3 Cams. and have updated the detection zone on all. Many Many Many times at night i get an alert and the box around the object is outside of the detection zone. what is the purpose of the detection zone if it still sends alerts for outside of that zone?

3 Likes

The detection zone box is only for initial detection/triggering. Once something inside the box is detected, the entire view is analyzed and this continues until end of motion. Wyze is working on an alternative method, but we have no word on when it will be available.

1 Like

Ok - then what is the solution to a camera on front porch of my house. road is 75 yards away but cam still picks up cars at night with headlights coming down road and setting off an alert

1 Like

What do you wish to be notified of?

if the object that was identified with green box is outside of the detection zone, then i dont want a notification. I only want notification if within the detection zone motion was detected.

4 Likes

Wyze would need to change the cam’s firmware to notify only within the detection zone. This is equivalent to separating notification logic from detection logic. You can vote for this feature here and if implemented, you would place the notification zone on top of the detection zone:

2 Likes

I have this big time. Headlights (or shadows from a tree) get mine every time a car goes by. :tired_face:

1 Like

You can reduce non-value trigger notifications with Cam Plus by setting the cam’s event recording to Detects Motion ON and AI (smart) Detection to only the AI types you are interested in. Then set the cam’s Notification settings to Notifications ON, Wyze AI Events ON and All Other Motion Events OFF.

2 Likes

Can that be done in Lite?

Yes, but only for Person Detection and it’s automatic. I.e., you don’t need to and can’t set AI types under Event Recording because Person Detection is automatic under Cam Plus Lite. You do need to set Notifications ON, Wyze AI Events ON and All Other Motion Events OFF under the Notifications settings. This will alert you only to AI type Person.

2 Likes

Or you can use a PIR motion sensor, and turn off the camera’s pixel detection. That’s what I do for headlights.

3 Likes

I don’t understand this answer. I too have objects (trees) that are the only movement and exist only in the gray areas and not ever in the detection zone. Yet I constantly get alerts. Isn’t the whole point of having a detection zone to eliminate this?

1 Like

Wait What? Can you please walk me through the solution you suggested?

My detection zone selections don’t seem to be eliminating any of the constant motion events it’s detecting that are occurring entirely outside of the detection zone I selected. I’d appreciate help getting the constant alerts under control.

I turn off motion detection at night and use a motion sensor to trigger my cameras. The motion sensor tells the cameras to record instead of the cameras triggering on simple pixels moving (the headlights).

By “headlight” do you mean a motion activated floodlight? If so, that’s what I’ve already been trying at night but it’s not any better since there’s no way to narrow the field of detection for the floodlight either. So it doesn’t negate the need for the cam v3’s detection zone sensor to be effective.

More importantly, there’s increased need to narrow the field of motion detection during daylight hours since there’s even more unwanted events being triggered by waving limbs and bushes, moving yard objects and light changes in areas of the field of view that I don’t want to trigger alerts. Those kinds of alerts are going to happen even if the detection zone is effectively narrowed but would serve to lower the number of alerts I would have to attend to.