Denial of Service Attack on my Camera yesterday

Yesterday all my security software went crazy warning me a of a denial of service attack on my network. It was all hammering away at just one of my Wyze pan cameras. Turned the power of to the camera and the attack stopped, but when I powered it up the attack immediately continued. Ended up taking it down all day and then reinitializing it. Was coming from 66.23.205.130 which in Vancouver WA.

That ip belongs to Wyze

What are you calling a Denial of Service attack?

And yes, I know what a DoS attack is.

Is your camera exposed to the internet directly? Do you have any kind of port forwarding enabled? As noted above, the IP belongs to Wyze which would mean the camera most likely established the connection rather than the other way around. A DoS attack would probably not be possible if the camera isn’t directly exposed to the internet because outside systems wouldn’t have any path to the camera.

As noted it was almost certainly not an “attack” of any kind. I suggest you disable most of your “security software”. Seriously. Unless you understand how it works, it can cause more trouble than it is remotely worth. Your router, in its default settings, protects your internal network from basically everything. Nothing can reach your Wyze cameras!

Just keep everything behind your router, run the default Windows antivirus from Microsoft, and be careful about opening e-mail attachments and visiting sketchy web sites. That is all an average person needs to do.

2 Likes

I had the same problem yesterday. I have a nighthawk router and it was notifying me that i had a dos attack every time the camera picked up someone moving in the camera view. It started after installing a new V3 pro camera. I have other cameras from Wyze and they do not get this notification from my router.

1 Like

I’m getting the same thing on my new v3 pro.

Flat out - your router is lying to you. Read what Customer said a year ago…

2 Likes

I also got the same DOS when i purchased 2 new V3 Pro Cameras. I’m using Netgear Orbi.

Now I also don’t think it is a true DOS happening, but it would be good to understand what exactly is happening, It seems to be related specifically to the V3 Pro cameras, so what is happening differently with these ones that doesn’t happen with any of the other cams ( I have ALL the other cams available).
Can anyone give an explanation.

The V3 Pro is meant to use onboard processing to determine what it is seeing rather than contact the Wyze servers, so why are the Wyze servers trying to constantly contact the cams (especially just after a fresh install). What is it they are trying to do - it isn’t a firmware update.

Again, would be good to have a somewhat better understanding, rather than just blanket beleiving it’s not a true DOS and letting the Router provide access.

Thanks

There working just fine we have upgraded to the pros last month at 16 sites with no issues

I know they are working, not saying they are not.

I’m saying that a number of users are receiving DOS notifications from their Routers’ specific to the V3 Pro Cams. I’m asking this forum if anyone can provide more details or understanding on “Why” we are receiving the DoS notiifcations. In other words, why is my Netgear Orbi thinking there is a DOS, when it appears that in reality it isn;t a DOS - So what is it ? That’s my question

We use all Cisco equipment, if you can try to block it,we have very hi speed commercial and we pay a flat fee and microwave up to all the sites we also have wireless outdoor cameras,on solar panels…o well im going back to our party…good luck…

Have tried asking Netgear why the Orbi might be doing this? It is the Orbi, after all, that is warning about a ddos attack.

I have the same question. Using Orbi and V3 Pro. Two V3 Pros that were replaced because of rain damage did not have this issue, but the third one does. Very strange.

Slightly off topic, but how did your v3’s get rain damage? I pressume Wyze exchanged them free of charge, given that they are meant to be waterproof.

My v3 have been outside since November with no issues we
have 12 sites,4 at each

I don’t know rjbauman417’s specific issue, but most of the reports of water damage to V3 cameras is for cameras mounted upside down so water can pool on the bottom. It eventually seeps in through the uSD card cover.

1 Like

The two cameras that failed were mounted right side up, We had some wild sideways rain that I believe entered the USB-C port. When I installed the third cam, that Wyze graciously provided, I applied silicone around the cable connection and made sure I had a larger drip loop on the cable. It’s hard to believe that I never had an issue with a Pan Cam V1 enclosed in a third party cover on the same mount.

Regarding the DOS attacks - I powered off the V3 Pro for a day or so and the attacks stopped.

I have been getting the DoS attack warnings from my Orbi system since the last firmware update a few days ago. I am not able to tell which camera(s) the warnings are for, but I cannot get my cameras to show on Alexa show devices almost always now, but I have always had trouble seeing them randomly, some or all of the cameras. My live streams have always been sketchy, but worse now. This includes my pan cam v3 as well. What can be done???