Deleted rules for removed devices still running

@WyzeQi I am having same issue with deleted rules still running on my Wyze cam v3. I had a rule to turn off camera at 12AM everyday and even after it’s deleted (deleted about a month ago) it still turns off camera every night at 12AM, it doesn’t even show up in the rules history anymore. I’ve tried clearing cache, restart device, delete and repair device, none have worked.

I’ve submitted a log (ID 422413), can you please take a look and advise?

Hi @TomT thank you for your feedback. I need more information to dive deep:

• Is your phone An* droid or iPhone?
  • What’s your Wyze app version?
  • What’s your ghost rule name?
1 Like

@WyzeQi I have android and my wife has iphone so we use the app on both phones but I believe the rule was created on my wife’s iphone.
App version v2.27.33, firmware version 4.36.8.15, we both updated and should be on the latest.
The ghost rule name was “overnight off”.

Thank you for looking into it, let me know if you need any further information.

Thank you. We’ll look into it. If there’s any update, I’ll let you koow.

Hi @TomT we checked the log. It seems you had a schedule.
Start Time: 00:01:00
End Time: 00:00:00
Action: Turn on the camera

Actually, if you set this action “Turn on the camera” with a start time and end time, it will run an inverse action “Turn off the camera” at the end time.

Let me explain your case: because your start time is larger than your end time. that means your schedule will run at the start time the next day.

Let’s say it was 11/2/2021 you created this schedule, which means

• 00:01:00 11/3/2021, turn on the camera
  • 00:00:00 11/4/2021, turn off the camera
  • 00:01:00 11/5/2021, turn on the camera
  • 00:00:00 11/6/2021, turn off the camera
  • 00:01:00 11/7/2021, turn on the camera
  • 00:00:00 11/8/2021, turn off the camera

You see, it will turn off your camera automatically. The reason why we run this inverse action is that many users create a schedule to control their lights, e.g turn on the light 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm, so they only need to set the turn-on action, and it will automatically run the inverse action at the end time.

Wish my explanation made it clear to you. If you still have issues, please let me know.

1 Like

Shouldn’t a rule set for:
Start Time: 00:01:00
End Time: 00:00:00

Shouldn’t it actually work like this:

• 00:01:00 11/3/2021, turn on the camera
  • 00:00:00 11/4/2021, turn off the camera
  • 00:01:00 11/4/2021, turn on the camera
  • 00:00:00 11/5/2021, turn off the camera
  • 00:01:00 11/5/2021, turn on the camera
  • 00:00:00 11/6/2021, turn off the camera
    (this would mean it is only off for 1 minute between midnight and 1 minute after minute when it turns back on)

But the post says it’s skipping a whole day every time:

Isn’t this causing it to skip an entire day instead of always turning on every single day at 12:01am? Or was that a mistype? Or am I misunderstanding? It looks like it says it turns on for a day then is off for a whole day then on for a whole day, so it’s only on every other day instead of every day?

1 Like

@carverofchoice You’re right. It should be like you said. Thank you for correcting me.

1 Like

No problem, I just wanted to clarify to make sure :slight_smile: Thanks for confirming! :slight_smile:

@WyzeQi Thanks for the detailed explanation, my wife did create that schedule in an attempt to combat the ghost rule that turns it off at midnight, she clearly didn’t do it right. I have since deleted this rule and past 2 nights the camera still turns off at midnight, I currently have no active rules so there still seems to be the ghost rule issue.

I can submit another log with no active rules or if you have any other suggestions please let me know.

@TomT please submit another log so we can look into it. Thank you.

@WyzeQi Good morning, here is the latest log submitted over the weekend from my android device ID 429427

Thank you. We’ll look into it.

Hi @TomT we checked your logs yesterday. It shows you have only one v3 camera and don’t have any rules currently. There’re records in 1/2/22, 1/3/22 in your latest rule history.

Does that mean the issue was gone since 1/4/22?
If the issue still exists, please try to delete your device and re-add it.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

@WyzeQi No the issue still persists even nothing shows in rule history. I’ve tried again to clear cache and deleted and re-added the device on both my and my wife’s phone and last night the camera turned off again at 12:00. At this point I’m just going to create a turn on rule at 12:01 and live with it.

It’s been a frustrating bug, but I really appreciate your assistance on this matter.

Hi @TomT Sorry for this bug. We’ll dive deep to find the root cause.

Hi @TomT it may be caused by an unsuccessful data migration since we migrated our Rule Engine last year. Our devs have manually migrated your data so it should be fixed. Let me know if there’s any problem.