Dangerous Design? - Power Adapter

I just reported this to the team. If you are open to it, we would like for you to submit a support ticket (https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/requests/new) with your phone number so that we can call you when we’re in the office. We would like to collect more information about the adapter issues you’ve run into. We would be more than happy to work with you to schedule the time.

Are you interested in this? If so, please submit the ticket with your phone number and let me know what support ticket you receive so I can give this top priority. Again, we are super sorry that you have had this experience and we want to look into it ASAP.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarity Gwendolyn. Here’s the image:

(Sorry that it’s a bit out of focus)

I’ll open a ticket this evening.

1 Like

My pleasure. I think we can get the information we need from this photo and I’ll let you know if we need another. I’ll keep an eye out for a ticket number from you. Thank you so much for letting us know about this problem and for working with us on it!

I’ve heard the 70-80lbs/square inch figure a couple times and I recently did the math on the area that seems to be the fused connection surface on the adapter. I estimate that the surface area of the fused area is no more that 0.15 square inches, which means at best, the adapter can only withstand an actual 10-12 lbs of pressure at the point of fusion close to the wall.

If the adapters are only able to withstand an expected maximum of 10-12 pounds at the point of fusion which is very close to the wall, then a much smaller weight of even 5lbs or less force at the furthest point from the wall (edge of the adapter or even the usb plug) could very well cause a failure in the fused parts due to the affect of leverage.

For that reason, I’m now not surprise by the failure given the design. Since the adapter is long and sticks out so far the wall - it makes sense that this is happening even to products that are produced correctly.

I shared this in my ticket with the engineer team, but thought I’d share it with the other users in this string. Once again - this is just my overvalued two-cents from a wanna-be engineer. :slight_smile: I’m sure there is a better logical lenses through which to look at this.

@UserCustomerGwen I never received the replacement that you mentioned above. Was I supposed to do something else to make that happen?

I just looked and I haven’t received a support ticket number from you (it’s possible that the internet ate it). Did you send one in using this form?

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

If so, please send me your support ticket number and I’ll look to see what happened on our end. If not, then that’s probably the missing step. :slight_smile:

As for your engineering math above this, I apologize but I don’t have the technical skills or experience to confirm or deny what you wrote.

FYI…I don’t think I ever received my replacement for the last camera adapter that broke.

Ticket#: 171890

Oh, golly! Thanks for telling me. I’ll poke your agent about that.

I apologize for my delay in seeing this. The Wizards are already out of the office for the holiday. I’ll make sure he sees this when he gets back.

1 Like

I am glad that I don’t use the power adapters supplied with the cameras.

These work great:

https://smile.amazon.com/Nekmit-Ultra-Charger-Smart-White/dp/B01JLXTQ1U/

I am able to plug in both a wyze camera and an Echo dot in each one. Plus I still have an available socket.

How do you power 3 things when that has 2 USB outlets ?

Because he has the 2 USB ports and the outlet that is not covered

How does it still have an available socket.then?
If he is using 2 of those Chargers on 1 wall outlet then he would have 1 USB socket available

I read it as one of those on a socket and one has 2 USB ports one for the cam one for the Echo and then the open plug…but just rereading it yes it sounds like he may mean he is using 2 in which case I don’t know lol

1 Like

These are a great idea for all gadgets.

4-port model

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TTGPPBF

1 Like

There we go a 4 part With one USB-C might have to get me one of those

1 Like

The charger has two ports. This takes one socket one a standard electrical socket. The other socket is free for any three prong plug.

Really it shows this in the picture on the product page. They also sell variants with 3 or 4 USB sockets.

OK I figured out what my confusion is :crazy_face: for some reason I was thinking you had 2 cameras hooked up to the charger

This is the third Wyze camera of mine that has broken in this way for me. I can’t believe you guys haven’t recalled this dangerous design. Irresponsible and negligent. I’ve tried to bring attention to this issue through these forums for nearly two years now and many other have shared similar experiences. If you are unwilling to address the issue, I must bring attention to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission. @UserCustomerGwen @WyzeLi @Chuan @WyzeTao @Kimj @WyzeAndy @WyzeDave @WyzeYun

We are deeply sorry to hear that this happened again. Do you have any more of these plugs? We took these reports seriously though this is a rare outcome and I would like to send you the version with the deeper bonding.

Would you feel comfortable telling me how often you or others interact with these plugs? What happened that led to this one separating?

1 Like

We run six of these cameras (1 fixed, 5 pans) and all but two have this style power adapter. The other two we replaced with a low profile power adapter we purchased off amazon. The one that have broke have been in areas with normal foot traffic and have all been bumped. The issue is that the impacts to them have all been minor. The way these power adapters stick out from the wall makes them weak by design. I’ve had one child shocked (two years ago) and found the electrodes of this camera exposed in my kid’s play room earlier this evening.