Daisy chain alternative for a long run of V3’s

I bet this is possible somehow :slight_smile:

I know you can’t daisy chain cam V3’s but I’m looking to run a cable to an area 15 metres away that has no power. Additionally I’m looking for a way to connect a few V3’s in that remote location.

I’ve seen something about using PoE and adaptors or something but what about the additional step of having multiple cameras at the end?

Come on community, I have faith :wink:

Buy a 50 foot extension cord with multiple outlets?

2 Likes

Looks like a fun cable but he or she wants all the connections at one end.

A normal PoE power injector should do it but I think you’d want one cable per camera. There are probably splitters available, or maybe a passthrough PoE hub. I haven’t looked.

1 Like

I ran a PoE setup to the locations I need power to. Has been working very well. I make my own cables so ran the Ethernet to the location then put the ends on that I wanted to use.

For the area where I had 2 Camera’s I used the following adapter witht he PoE single adapter to split the data from power:

The single connectors I used were:

Finally the PoE+ Switch I used was:

2 Likes

Mark @spamoni4 as Solution and call it a day. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Since all you need is power I’d run a 50’ extension cord with a triple tap at the end.

I need the video feed as well

Welcome @tcpaulh!
Remember that the Wyze cam V3 currently only works over WiFi (requiring hard-wire power) so video/data can’t be sent via POE.

2 Likes

While this solution works, it’s a very expensive one, and the data part is wasted.

I haven’t tried this, but I know there are 12-volt DC transformers they use for yard lighting. Connect a 12v-to-5v usb connector for each camera.

Good point, but it all depends on how many Cameras someone is trying to put up. The setup I provided can support more than 8 if you use the double connector and with one power outlet. In addition, when and if Wyze comes out with the FW to turn on Ethernet ability, I am ready.

Also how much will each transformer be plus the MicroUSB cable long enough to power the camera. Plus you need to take into account the distance when determining if it will function.

I personally did not want to run power outlets around the house, PoE is a simpler and safer solution.

Basically, it all depends on the need.

This is what I setup for power and growth. There are Cheaper PoE switches and adapters.

1 Like

As far as I can tell there is no way to use ethernet on these. There is no ethernet connector. These are wifi only. There is no ethernet hardware inside. At least in the two v3s I have been inside of.

I’d run hard wired power to that point and then split it out using a USB charger brick(like this) Then Micro USB cables to each cam.

Power brick(there are hundreds of other options with more/less plugs) https://smile.amazon.com/Charger-Adapter-Charging-Station-Samsung/dp/B08139YF93/ref=sr_1_9?

Amazon.com: FASTSNAIL 2 Pack 26FT Flat Power Extension Cable Compatible with WyzeCam, WyzeCam V3, WyzeCam Pan, KasaCam NestCam Indoor, Yi Cam, Blink, USB to Micro USB Charging and Data Sync Cord with Wire Clips: Electronics I have used these exact wires many times myself.

During one of the AMA’s they were looking into a FW update to allow for this. They were planning on using the MicroUSB connector. There are devices which support USB ethernet.

Not sure, but for me, the best solution even for the power simple setup and standard Ethernet cables. with no distance issues for me.

1 Like

Nice info, but the cost to run the power to each location or near a location then use the brick for providing power. you will need to weather proof it as it may be outside. plus you may have to get an electrician to do the work, depending on the your comfort level. In addition, I personally did not want to see any wires on the outside of my house.

I know they have the RTSP firmware for the V2s that let you use RTSP or as a webcam via the USBA port, but I don’t see how you can send ethernet packets over usb? There are not enough wires or bandwidth . You would need a usb to ethernet adapter and a way to handle it. Maybe the linux distro they use will support it but until I see how the plan on physically implementing it, I am skeptical.

I agree with what you are saying. But if they succeed, it would be nice.

The OP is only talking < 50 feet. and a “few V3’s”. What I’ve done for similar situations is a 50’ 14 gauge outside rated extension cord, a triplet adapter, a large baggie. Plug the usb power adapters in, put the end of the cords, the adapter, etc. into the baggie for protection from weather.

2 Likes

There are tons of USB Ethernet adapters. It’s not an issue. As long as you can deliver power and wired Ethernet, it will get into the camera fine (if they officially release the feature / support / approved dongle).

Simple, and cost effective.

True, I also got this one as it allows for the USB to plu into one side and use Ethernet and power. It has many different configurations. This is what I would change to when and if Ethernet becomes available.

1 Like