Customizable notifications (Incl: Android Notification Channels)

Change push notification for “someone calling” to alert like a phone call

Would be great to have the “someone is calling at your door” alert to come through as a phone call instead of a regular push alert (with a tiny icon!) so it’s easy to know when sometime rings the bell when you are not home to hear the chime.

2 Likes

Mine (android) does that already, but I can’t remember how I enabled that setting.
When the doorbell is pressed, I get a call from Wyze, when I answer it, it opens the live feed to the camera.

Please let me know the steps you took to make this happen.

1 Like

I also don’t care about a few hundred Package notifications. Apparently, the AI is not smart enough to know that it has already told me about that package, so it notifies me a few times every minute until I get the package (which I can’t do if I’m not home, so I get hundreds of Package notifications).

My Wyze Camera App shows 3 different notification categories. What is the purpose of each? Would like to see this documented somewhere.

1 Like

this has been in discussion since 2018

3 Likes

From my experience, WyzeMessage is the channel used for all the device Event Notifications (Motion, Smart AI, Automation, sensors, etc,)

General is used for News & Updates from Account → Notifications → News & Updates

Notification Manager is used by the app when you enable the persistant notification when selecting “Running in the Background” from Account → App Settings

1 Like

Rather than waiting for this to be implemented, I have installed a 3rd party Android app that will customize the sound of the notification for every individual device or device type as well as every type of notification (person, vehicle, sensor, automation etc.) Among many many other programmable actions and behaviors.

there are a lot of Android apps out there that claim to do this, but many are buggy/unreliable. Which one did you manage to use with Wyze? thx

Follow the link above. It is explained in detail in that post. I am using MacroDroid and Free Notification Reader together.

I just discovered that I could set this thread to muted, which means I will no longer receive emails whenever anyone posts/replies to it. Since I started using BuzzKill to manage all my Android phone’s notifications (not just Wyze), I no longer care if Wyze comes out with custom notifications.

1 Like

Welcome to the Wyze User Community Forum @Jdogcam! Don’t forget to vote at the top :point_up:.

The ability to turn off notifications for each type of AI is available on select cams. It was being tested previously. I can currently do this on my CamPan V1:

The good news is that this IS coming to the V3 with the next public Firmware update (and hopefully more cams in the future). It is currently available on the latest V3 Beta FW build that was just released for testing on the V3. If you would like to test the beta, you can Sign Up to Become a Beta Tester

Since you are on Android, you do have a couple of options to make it a bit more user friendly until they start developing this feature.

Android does allow you to change the notification tone specific to the App notification channel the notifications are coming in on (For the Wyze App, this is the WyzeMessage channel):

(this is for Android 11, yours may vary slightly depending on your OS version):

• Android :gear: Settings → Apps & Notifications → See All (#) Apps
  • Scroll down to the Wyze App and select it
  • Select “Notifications”
  • Select “WyzeMessage”
  • Select “Advanced” to expand it
  • Select Sound (should be set to default)
  • Choose the sound from your Root Notifications Folder that you would like to assign as the new tone for all Wyze push notifications.

You can also download any tones you like and assign those.

If you would like to hear a different notification tone for each type of detection (motion, sound, person, pet, package, vehicle, alarm, automation, sensor, etc.); Or if you would also like to hear a different notification tone for each individual cam or device; Or if you would like the text of your Wyze push notifications read out loud by the Google girl in your phone… these can all be accomplished using 3rd party apps. See this post :point_down: for a detailed description of how I am accomplishing this (you can reply over there if you have comments or questions about these).

1 Like

Thank you! I did get the tone changed. I have v3 cameras. It will be so nice once we will be able to choose which events we want push notifications for.

1 Like

Hi, Is there a wish list area? I was thinking it would be nice to have a separate Notification for person notification. This way I could assign a different ringtone. A lot of times, I get so many notifications that say motion Or person I ignore a lot of them. The Person notification is pretty good and reliable. But the ringtone is the same, although the onscreen notification says person I don’t always look at my phone.
Thanks.

Antonio

1 Like

Welcome Back to the Wyze User Community Forum @antoniovp!

You are posting in the #wishlist. Topics on the #wishlist will be tagged as Wishlist in the header.

Don’t forget to vote at the top of #wishlist topics.

To search the wishlist, click any #wishlist hashtag and it will take you to the full wishlist.

Yeah this never worked unfortunately

You haven’t been able to customize your App Notifications Tone for Wyze Push Notifications on Android 11? I am running Android 11 (Moto). This is how I changed mine:

Yes please!

Proper notification categories implementation across Wyze services & devices

Please, please implement a proper notifications scheme for Android. I should not have to buy a license to Buzzkill to filter entirely useless notifications from useful. Here’s my use case:

With Wyze home monitoring, I get a notification every time someone arms or disarms the system… with no way to turn that off (very annoying, multiple times per day). The only way? Blocking ALL notifications from the Wyze app within Android settings – which is a pretty brutal workaround, when I also have cameras that can’t then notify me for packages + a Wyze doorbell that can’t notify me when someone rings it!!

Give us a way to control notifications, through notification categories, like most other apps. Meantime, it’s hard not to regret investing so heavily into the Wyze ecosystem (multiple/different kinds of devices).