Customizable notifications (Incl: Android Notification Channels)

Customizable notification messages so sensors can be used for more non traditional uses and still give good context. I would like to change the notification in this example https://youtu.be/haYkDJeQM1A

1 Like

Hi @lachlan6, could you explain a little more what you mean by customization in this context? Are you trying to change the title of the customization? If so, could you give the sensor a meaningful name (eg Doorbell) that will pop up in the notification? Or would something like discussed in the topic below satisfy this?

So currently everything for the sensor is just “name of sensor” is open or is closed. I placed one in my doorbell chime and I named it doorbell. When someone rings my doorbell I get the notification saying “doorbell is closed” I would like to be able to have it say “someone is at the door” or “ding dong”. Other examples would be the guy that put it on his washing machine he could have the notification text be “laundry is done!” Or I made a water sensor and it could say “Alert!!! Leak detected under kitchen sink” it really isn’t a huge deal I think naming them gives you enough flexibility to know what is going on but it always just reads funny with “is closed” after it.

For android devices I’ve been using IFTTT to send custom text for the different Wyze sense notifications. Then use app Out Loud that can speak the notification text. I’ve also been using the spoken notifications to issue commands to my Google Home speakers. It’s clunky and not a perfect solution, but it’s been fun to experiment with.

I use IFTTT for a few of my projects when i have to but i like to avoid the middle man when i can. I have also noticed a pretty good delay in IFTTT. Wyze notifications are really quick i would hate to lose the speed and reliability for style.

Agreed. IFTTT notifications can definitely be slow sometimes and it’s good to limit the number of things involved for speed considerations and to limit possible failure points. So far the IFTTT notification timing hasn’t been bad with the sensors and it’s just cool to hear the spoken notifications. Hopefully your request to customize notifications will be something Wyze considers for future development. Some type of integrated chime/siren option (external or software) would also be great.

BTW… nice idea using the sensor on the door bell chime like in your video :+1:

1 Like

@lachlan6, I’ve moved this topic to #wishlist so you and others can vote for it. Be sure to click the VOTE topic at the top.

I’d like to suggest Wyze include support for Android’s Notification Channels. This would allow users to set different notification sounds / behaviours for different Wyze products and notifications.

Channels may include:

• Wyze general notifications
  • Wyze product updates
  • Wyze Cam notifications
  • Wyze Sense notifications

For example - I’d like to allow my Wyze Sense contact sensors to alert me of a door is opened, even if my phone is in Do Not Disturb mode at night. Notification Channels would allow this level of granular control and customisation to prioritize and distinguish various Wyze notifications.

TP-Link Kasa correctly implemented the above suggestion:

This would be great! Not all notifications are of the same urgency. I want certain notifications to wake me up in the middle of the night

1 Like