Critical Alerts on iOS and Wyze Sense to Alert through Do Not Disturb/Sleep mode

This would be useful. Every new beta of iOS, I send in a suggestion to Apple to allow us to choose which apps can break through Do Not Disturb.

Until it is implemented I have Castiel (lab/shepard mix) and Ruby (pointer mix) that provide me with critical alerts. They don’t care about Do Not Disturb.

2 Likes

How about turning on a light or sounding an alarm for a critical alert?

It’d be useful if an option were added to allow certain notifications from selected devices to override a phone that’s in silence mode.

1 Like

Apple created a feature called “Critical Alert” under Notifications sections for each app. This feature enables an app to send alerts and play sound on Iphone even if Iphone is muted or Do Not Disturbed
is turned on. This feature was created so that apps such as Security, Health etc related apps can send sound notifications regardless of Iphone’s muted or do not disturb. Apple requires App Developer to get specific entitlement to present this feature. Since
Wyze is being used for security features too, Wyze
must get this entitlement from Apple and apply it to its IOS app

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

I have an important request for usage of Wyze cameras. The most useful time I can think of having my cameras is at night, when someone is most likely to break in a home. Because we also need a good nights sleep, Do Not Disturb mode is a welcome function on iOS, problem is that I do want to get notified if someone breaks in my home. With that said, iOS 12 introduced what they call ‘Critical Alerts’, which could be extremely useful to get these very important notifications. Now, for Wyze to implement that, they have to request this functionality into their app directly to Apple, which is what this request is about.

But there is a workaround, using IFTTT to send SMS and bypassing ‘Do Not Disturb’ by adding ‘Emergency Bypass On’ to the contact’s info. Problem is there are too few triggers available right now, Person Detection being what I need.

There is another post, not inside #Wishlist though, that discusses this very issue and some ways to workaround it. Check it out at: https://forums.wyze.com/t/critical-alerts-on-ios-and-wyze-sense-to-alert-through-do-not-disturb-sleep-mode/

[Moderator Note: This is a merged #wishlist submission. Remember to scroll up to the top and click the VOTE button.]

For the IFTTT part, please see this #wishlist topic:

Add More IFTTT Triggers and Actions

Note, however, that IFTTT has deprecated the SMS functionality.

1 Like

This request was not solved through IFTTT as there is no option for person detection alert. So the issue still stands and I would like to see any solution for the future.

I don’t know if anyone else has put this idea out or not. So here’s my idea, the option to select for the notifications to override the “ do not disturb” option on iOS.

This would be a valuable option to use if using the camera in a nursery, or any where else when you need to be awakened at night to see what the movement was. I understand that the AI is going to be temporarily unavailable but when it comes back on board this override option would be great. In my opinion what do y’all think?

The Wyze needs to be able to breakthrough Do Not Disturb mode so that users who opt for it can get notifications while the phone is in this mode (ie so I can get notifications while I am sleeping and ignoring my calls)

The capability to create a DND exception for Wyze app notifications already exists under Android. What device and OS version are you trying to set this up on?

The DND override that is requested is for the iOS (Apple) system. Lucky Android users.

2 Likes

I’m not sure there’s much Wyze can do other than petition for recategorization of their app. If you’re jailbroken and running iOS 11+, you can load a notification tweak like DNDAllow.

Moto G6 on Android Pie
Iphone 7, 8, X on various iOS

Ring now has critical alerts. Surely Wyze is allowed now?

1 Like

In order to do any kind of home security, or any security at all, this needs to be implemented. And if Ring now has it, Wyze can have it too, someone at Wyze just needs to make the request at Apple.

1 Like

Don’t hold your breath on this one Chaz, it doesn’t seem that they have any plans after all this time.

I was told by Customer Service text chat to post my wish (vs just searching the other other existing threads).

I wish that Wyze would provide the long-awaited and long-requested functionality of ‘Critical alerts (iOS)’ to everyone using Wyze. This feature is now being advertised only for those that purchase the new monitoring service.

I’m a current Cam Plus paying subscriber, and it’s not even available to me. It’s been requested for so long, and it’s a feature that exists today with most competitors (including competitors without a required subscription).

It should be available to everyone. I realize this takes away a feature enticing people to pay for the subscription, but it’s definitely a bait and switch for the many existing loyal customers that have requested this feature for so long.

Please add this feature now for everyone, so that I and many others don’t look to your competitors for this existing feature.

2 Likes

This is absurd. How do we get them to enable it for every Apple device critical alerts?
Android has it.

2 Likes

@lorenzo816 Thanks for bringing this IOS Critical Alert issue back up again!

I sincerely hope that Wyze get with the program (without charging for home monitoring) to allow EVERY Wyze user to enable Critical Alert status to the Wyze IOS app.

For the life of me, I don’t understand why Wyze hasn’t done this.

Oh well …

1 Like

I’ve had a problem a couple times where I don’t notice a notification because my phone is on “do not disturb” mode. There doesn’t seem to be a way to make an exception so that Wyze always makes an audible alert sound. However, I know this is possible, as I have a medical alert app that will play a sound at full volume, no matter the OS volume setting or if “do not disturb” is enabled.

Ideally, I would be able to set something like “always play audible alert” and to specify a volume override for motion or person detection separately, and for specific times of day. My use case is that I want to be woken up if someone tries to break into my car at night (this has happened twice, and I didn’t see the alert until the next morning).

Generally, I wish the alert settings were configurable depending on what was detected and when it was detected.

2 Likes