Allow the creation and saving of multiple Device Setting Profiles

Users have requested the ability to store complete settings profiles for devices that could be named and restored as needed. The profiles would contain all settings available for the device, including the on/off status of detections, detection sensitivity, detection zone shape, etc.

The stored profiles could be activated as an available shortcut action. In this way, the profile restoration could be done manually, scheduled or as the result of a trigger.

Thanks for adding this Loki. I’ll try to expand on the use of profiles. Having the camera settings saved off in an SD file (Profile) would or could eliminate the need for development to create more “actions” for every setting that comes up. Profiles, or a set of different camera settings, could be saved for when camera owners are at work vs a different set of settings when they are home, not simply turn the camera off or on. Profiles could have different settings for vacation vs a normal in and out week, daytime/sunlight vs night time, etc. Also, if your camera isn’t permanently mounted, like if you moved it to different locations for special projects, you could have a profile for each location and load them as needed.

I’m not sure how drawing different detection zones would ever be accomplished by an action. But, loading that from a file? Sure. I don’t see re-configuring a camera as a series of actions unless you have a really robust set of actions and you would still be missing different detection zones. Actions, to me, are more like a macro or script of things I do, like turn on time lapse for the next 3 hours, save a short video, etc. Things that aren’t settings. Changing profiles could be added as an action and even better if they could be scheduled to load. I don’t have a long list of cryptically named shortcuts changing various settings, nor do I want them.

Today I moved a camera from indoors to outside. The camera had the sound settings on since it was only on when I was out and about, but once outside, I found having the sound detection on was not tolerable. However, at night this may not be the case and having a daytime and night time profile scheduled would allow this to switch without twice daily intervention.

Turning sound detection on and setting the level are two “Actions” that are on Loki’s list for shortcut actions to add. From what I see, all but two of the requested actions could be handled by profiles. Also, if we had the ability to save and load a profile, moving a camera inside to outside and back, would be as simple as reloading the profile.

Last night we had some pretty fun lightning storms with around 3" of rain. About 3:00 AM, I decided to kill some of the notifications I was getting. I have three cameras either outside or pointed outside, each with their own settings due to location. I could have simply turned off notifications, but I noticed different cameras were giving significantly different number of push notices, so I wanted to experiment as to why. The details of my experiment are for another post, but this morning I would like to return all my cameras to their regular settings and having these saved would way simplify the task at hand. Also, having settings files (profiles) would be like having different modes for the camera. A raining at night profile, day profile, night profile, etc. would be so much better than just unplugging it or turning off notifications all-together.

I will be using the PanCam as an inside security device when we are away. I noticed in the Discover tab that some use it to record when at home, as a child sleep monitor, as a pet monitor, outside security, etc. The setup would be different, depending on the use case. For those new to the camera especially, the ability to create shortcuts from commonly used Profiles would be helpful. In particular, some older adults or those who are technology shy would benefit.

Well, you have to vote (at the top of the page) if you want profiles.

Well, I didn’t know this topic existed, and didn’t post in this topic - I posted a new topic actually. I assume an admin or forum AI tool moved my post here. I’m new here, and this forum is not intuitive at all, more like a maze (to me at least).

1 Like

Ah, ok. One of the mods doing some organizing moved it, I’m sure. Thanks for voting and welcome to the forum. The forum is a little different and takes some getting used to, but it is good here.

It would be nice to be able to set multiple alert schedules per camera.

For example, my camera that covers our front driveway also covers the road. I minimize the detection zone so that alerts are not fired every-time a car drives by. At night, it would be nice to switch to full screen detection, or even use a different detection zone setting so I could cover the road at late night hours.

Currently I manually turn off detection zone setting when I remember.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Don’t forget to vote by clicking “Vote” near the heading at the top of the page.

Every time someone asks for a new action (settings change), I should add it here as an alternative.

i want profiles to have the option of being created in a text editor using ASCII … An XML format would be good. then transfer said format to WYZE app. i think this really makes the product line very powerful. add this to all products. leverage 3rd party effort and ingenuity tags: 99xml 99profile

Proposed title: Macros for Global Settings. When I just reviewed the roadmap, I saw an item titled “Allow multiple devices to be controlled by a single Schedule Rule.” I am unsure whether my following suggestion is the same or similar or maybe different since instead of operating on some sort of a schedule, I’m talking about an interactive event that might also be used in a schedule. I guess feedback will enlighten me. Anyway, here goes: There are times when recording and notification needs vary. For example, a higher level of notifications and recording might be more relevant when away from the home or office than when present. If there are many cameras and sensors, it takes a lot of time to visit each item and change their individual setup. I seek the ability to make a snapshot of ALL the current camera and sensor settings and save (or overwrite) that to a user named macro, then run such a macro to set all the devices to the desired settings at once. This would allow the user to interactively run macros to make system wide settings for conditions such as asleep, awake, away, etc. Therefore, I propose a suggestion to enable the app to save global settings into named macros that can be interactively run to make global setting changes. If this suggestion is actually incorporated in the earlier roadmap item, I apologize for bringing it up as something new.

Hi @hank1, I have merged your #wishlist submission over to this topic. I think this is the one your were looking for (it wasn’t necessarily that easy to find).

@Loki Let me know if this needs it’s own thread, but I’d really like to be able to backup and deploy configs or profiles. Effectively, I’d like to set a baseline, save that config or profile, and then deploy it to the rest of the devices. For example, if i need to turn sound recording on for all devices, currently I need to go into each individual device and modify that setting. Ideally I would be able to change that setting on 1 cam, save the config, and then deploy to my remaining cameras, This would save tons of time for deploying new units. Likewise for bulbs as well. With the new Power Loss Recovery feature, I’d love to be able to set that flag in a config and deploy to my 12 bulbs, but currently I have to change that feature for every device manually.

Thanks. I’m not surprised there was a thread on this already. I suspect anybody who has used your cameras for a while has developed a desire for macros or profiles, because changing settings gets tedious. I looked for the subject on the wishlist and roadmap, but missed it.

@bishop, No I don’t think it needs a separate thread. Fits in quite nicely here.

1 Like

You have great products, and I love using them every day.
One practical suggestion is to create a possibility being able to disable all schedules with one click.
Having a “vacation” button , can disable all other schedules setup up and activate a single “Vacation Schedule” . Now important actions might get missed if you “forget” to deactivate and activate your needed profile manually

I suggest making Global settings available. Either for all cams and/or for grouped cams. It would be nice to go through and change motion detection or sync times all at once for example. Simar to the way you have global FW updates…

Multi device settings capability would be nice. For example I have 13 cameras and 11 of them have the same settings for:
Recording
Quality HD vs SD
Sound Notifications (smoke alarm etc)
Detection settings
Etc.