Coyote or German Shepherd?

Caught this fellow running through my yard on Saturday with a V3. I think it’s a coyote, but may be a German Shepherd. Any opinions? (Like I really need to ask. :grin: )

9 Likes

Looks like a coyote to me. I get them around my house a lot

10 Likes

Keep your puppy indoors! :scream:

4 Likes

I have had 3 German Shepherds, I have lived in the country and have seen many coyotes, that is without question a COYOTE.

10 Likes

Coyote. keep your small pets especially cats close.

5 Likes

Coyote.

5 Likes

Agree 100%: Coyote!

4 Likes

Thanks, folks. I was fairly sure it was a coyote, but the coat is darker than most others I’ve seen. And the tail is a little ratty. But, he does have that coyote lope.

@milehiguy & @derme2000, I never let my little guys out alone. They are either on leash with me or I am outside with them.

8 Likes

Hello, @mvb

Agreed, your critter’s gait is unquestionably that of a Coyote vs German Shepherd (cool capture) :face_with_monocle:.

Thank you for sharing it.

Good plan not letting your furry companions outside unattended.

2 Likes

The next afternoon, I noticed the tracks in the snow and saw where it came into the yard. But not a single camera of the 5 that it passed by registered a motion event (1 V2, 2 V3s and 2 WCOs). So I pulled the SD card from the closest V3 and had to search every minute video of the 24 hours that had passed until I spotted him. The hardest part was not letting my eyes cross as I scanned each clip. :sleepy:
Once I found the clip, I could use the playback on the V2 and other V3 to get more footage.

5 Likes

Hello, @mvb

That’s odd that not one of your 5 cameras registered an event… the cheeky Coyote must have been using a cloAking device to evade detection :thinking:.

Yes, that’s a daunting task looking through hours of footage to find what you want, but your efforts were worthwhile :wink:.

3 Likes

@ThreeTen, I’m going to give the WCOs a pass. It was a little out of the detection range. But he passed directly below the V2 and you can see how close to the V3 he was.

I have the scanning part down to a science. I went through thousands of 1 minutes clips last month looking for meteors. I’ve got close to 70 meteor clips so far. :grin:

4 Likes

Understood about giving the WCOs a pass :slight_smile:.

Wow! That’s definitely a lot of meteor captures :+1:.

3 Likes

From the looks of way it carries it’s tail, I would say coyote. Up here in the PA mountains, you can hear the howls and yips from the coyotes when on the hunt, but you never see them. They are very close, but don’t leave the woods. Only foxes come around.

3 Likes

I’ve had GSD’s all my life. The happy lad in the video is a coyote. It’s movement, in particular, is a dead giveaway. They are beautiful animals and not the demons that they are made out to be. If you live in coyote country, use common sense!

5 Likes

That’s a couple of cool little dudes right there :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Definitely a 'yote!! :purple_heart:

3 Likes

They’re brothers from the same litter. Like most little dogs, they act like they are way bigger. :grin:

5 Likes

Coyote for sure

1 Like

Coyote you should be fine they are more scared of you than you are of them

2 Likes