Could this be classed as a fireball?

6 Likes

Sweet capture! And yes, I think so. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That is clearly a spider!

JK. :grinning:

I’m sitting here looking at this slow moving object, clearly not a meteor, thinking… WTH?

Then along blasts a fireball!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

I don’t know, more like fire-oval/ellipse/ovoid with a tail…or a fire-fishing-bobber…or a fire-pin/fire-needle…

2 Likes

The camera also picked up these two the next night.

6 Likes

Yowser! thumbsup

1 Like

Second one … goodness, gracious, great balls of fire! I would say that’s a real fireball … ie, entering the earth’s atmosphere with a really, really bright flash.

1 Like

@jenhaygle, are you recording meteors in HD or SD resolution? Your videos are much cleaner than my SD videos, which are very spotchy with dark splotches popping up all over. I’ll try attaching one of my videos (meteor at about 42 secs). How do I get rid of these dark splotches? Thanks.

2 Likes

I’m recording on a V3 camera in HD with IR lights off.
Hope this helps.

1 Like

Do you just set your sensitivity up to 100% and then check all the motion events to easily find them later?

Thanks jenhaygle. For this first real use of the camera, I wasn’t sure how many hours I could get on the microcard with HD, so I used SD. I will go with HD in the future. (I also had IR lights off and am using a V3 cam.)

carverofchoice: I also wonder if some meteor watchers are relying on the motion event sensor to record meteor events or whether everyone is using continuous recording followed by the rather laborious screening of hundreds of 1-minute videos. I did the latter for my first attempt at capturing meteors (I used a 10x-speed viewing in Quicktime on a Mac to screen them), since I doubted that the event sensor would be able to pick up most meteors except the bright fireball-level meteors. But I am curious if anyone has success with event recording mode and whether “usual brightness” meteors can be captured with it.

2 Likes

FYI, on my SD cards, I find I get 24 hours of HD recording for every just over 10GB of storage (assuming you never use nightvision mode…which actually use fewer FPS). So if you have a 32GB SD card, it should be able to record roughly 3 Days worth of video (give or take a few hours depending on a few different variables). That’s my overall experience with testing the limits of various SD card sizes with continuous HD recording. So if you programmed it to only turn on when it gets dark and turn off just before it gets light, you could probably get close to a week’s worth of recordings in HD on a small 32GB SD card, just some food for thought. :wink:

2 Likes

I have motion detection turned on (100%) but over the last few months it has only picked up 3 meteors. To begin with I was just watching the one minute videos but it is very time consuming so now I take a time lapse of the night sky at 3 second intervals then I watch it back using VLC at a much slower speed. If I see anything of interest I note the time and go and watch the recording from the camera. Its not perfect, I’m sure I miss some but I find its working for me at the moment.

1 Like

Thanks for that info on the HD recording. I will definitely switch to HD.

2 Likes

That’s an interesting method to use time lapse to find meteors, then go back to continuous recordings if you see something. I didn’t know that the camera would record both time lapse video and continuous video at the same time!
You might have better luck for catching meteors by using 1 second intervals though (or even 0.5 sec?), if possible, then you don’t have to slow down the VLC viewing so much and with the bonus of catching more meteors, since they are often only visible for a second or two of real time.

1 Like

@gshac, I first captured a meteor on 11/16/19. Since then I’ve got close to 100 clips. I have 64 GB cards in my V3 cameras. I use a rule to turn my SkyCam off during the day and get about 10 days worth of continuous recording. I view the 1 minute files one at a time. And as @jenhaygle mentions, it is very labor intensive. But, I’m retired and have plenty of time.

I have had only a couple of meteor triggered events, so I personally don’t rely on that. Most of the meteor trails last less than a second. But I do see a fair number of high altitude jets, a few satellites and even the ISS.

3 Likes

The camera can record continuous video and a time lapse simultaneously.
A 3 second time lapse is the shortest interval the camera will let me record.

Any problems using a 64gb card, I’m only using 32gb.
Do you use extreme endurance cards designed for security cameras? So far I have had one card fail but this was just a standard micro SD card.

None at all. I use a 3rd party disk management program on my laptop and format them FAT32. I also do the full format, not the quick format. As you probably already know, use a high performance SD card. Those can handle the video best.

3 Likes

Wow

1 Like