Corrupted micro SD card

Has anyone had any problems with a micro sd card used for continuous recording become corrupt? I was using one in my Wyze Cam v.2, but after a few months it stopped working and I can’t erase/format the card on any system (Mac, Windows), and it is no longer recognized as an sd card in my Wyze Cam.

1 Like

Yes. I had few cards becoming write protected. Those cards still have videos recorded but cannot be formatted nor record new videos. Samsung endrance cards are on sale and those cards should last longer.

2 Likes

SD cards (actually, all flash memory) have a limited life span measured in write cycles. Sounds like that’s what may have happened to yours rather than corruption. If you’re going to do continuous recording the best thing you can do is use high endurance cards in the largest capacity supported by the camera. (Large capacity = fewer write cycles in a given period of time.)

2 Likes

Agreed. I’ve used basic 32 GB Micro SD cards in my V2s and they worked fine for over a year until I upgraded to Cam Plus. As that records a lot more often and for longer, it very quickly wore out the cards and they went read-only within a few days. I went through 2 more new ones before I switched to a Samsung High Endurance card and that has been working for a few months now.

Note that you can still read the videos off a read-only card if there is anything important you want to get off it but otherwise it’s useless. You also may be able to do a chkdsk and full format of the card on a PC but that’ll likely just get you a few more days.

Just stay with 32 GB cards as there is poor compatibility with higher sizes. Also, if you ever need to do a manual firmware upgrade from a memory card, it only supports sizes up to 32 GB.

1 Like