Contact sensor best practice

Anyone have any best practices for mounting the contact sensors?
I am wondering if it is best to have the magnet side on the door instead of the door frame so that the electronic side isn’t getting bounced around without door opens and closes, I am guessing this because one of my contact centers that’s brand-new died suddenly I have a ticket in to see if we can figure out what happened.

does anyone have any thoughts on how to weatherproof maybe with a 3D enclosure a contact sensor for outside use? I really want to use one of these on our fence gate

You’d think that one could just use 2 Tic Tac mint clear boxes. Remove the white dispenser lid. Drop in some hot glue and then sensor…adjust it with a popsicle stick. Let cool…do the same for other part.

Now flip them upside down so the opening of the ticTac plastic enclosure is now pointing down. You now have a water-resistance case. Put the dispenser lid back on and it’s even better.

Technically you could now even spray paint it the fence color to blend it in. How you mount the TicTac cases is not worth me explaining as it’s obvious.

Do you think that the small part of the sensor needs to be weatherproofed?
hmm…

1 Like

When in doubt, weather proof it.

I’ve water proof my sensors with this …
Scotch Brand 860 Adhesive Putty Removable, 2 oz, Multicolor Amazon.com

I left the sealed sensor in a cup of water for a week with no issues.
It leaves no residue and it’s reusable too.
Just roll it between wax paper with a seam roller or a bottle.
Peel and apply …its tacky enough to use as a replacement for the factory mounting tape.

My metal mailbox sensor … When opened Wyse cam takes a video and Alexa says, “You’ve got mail”.

5 Likes

At one point I plastidipped a contact sensor. Not for waterproofing but for a more tacticool appearance. I suppose you could plastidip a fairly thick layer and make sure you get the seams and holes plugged it’ll work. Just have to make sure your battery is good before you do it so you can prolong having to rip the dip off to change the battery.

3 Likes

What’s the syntax for the Alexa routine? I’m getting the proper notifications from my motion sensor in my mailbox but can’t get the Alexa routine set up properly. Alexa support is at somewhat of a loss right now. I’d appreciate any pointers

1 Like

This is my routine for my mail box.

Create the routine … select when this happens … Smart Home… select the Wyze device … select open (in your case detect) … next … add action… Alexa says …Customised …You’ve got mail… next …choose device…save.

Test by hitting the play.

hope that helps yah …

Thanks. I really appreciate the help. I can’t find the flaw in my routine, even after a lengthy consult with amazon tech support. they’ve bumped it up a level and are supposed to give me a solution / fix monday or Tuesday. I suspect I’ve overlooked something very obvious. I’ll let you know.
terry

Thanks. I really appreciate the help. I can’t find the flaw in my routine, even afte4 a lengthy consult with amazon tech support. they’ve bumped it up a level and are supposed to give me a solution / fix monday or Tuesday. I suspect I’ve overlooked something very obvious. I’ll let you know.
terry

darned if i can find the flaw in my routine. neither can amazon tech support after 30 minutes of trying, but they’re bumping it up a level. I’ve got the wyze part working flawlessly. I suspect i’ll find my problem is some embracing mis-naming of my alexa device or something. I’ll let you know. I greatly appreciate your help.
terry

In the Alexa app remove the Wyze skill and reinstall it and log into your Wise account.

And if you haven’t already try logging out and in on the Alexa app.
Then ask Alexa to Discover again.

1 Like