Constant buffering with camera (Google Nest (Home) and Echo (Alexa))

Need some clarification. I have all the cameras set to the lowest resolution for viewing (360). I’m a little unclear as to how the internet connection comes into play when the Echo and Wyze camera are on the same subnet. Are you saying the video goes out to the internet and back to the Echo rather than direct communication?

Not everyone using these cameras has a high-speed connection. People with limited internet connectivity (like myself in a rural area), uploading from the cameras can be an issue. This is especially true if there are other devices on the network uploading at the same time. Also, if someone has reached their cap, like some satellite services like to do, then their connection might be throttled.

For reference, see below the below from the camera specs. :slight_smile:

V1, V2, and Pan Connectivity Requirements:

Upload speed 1.0 Mbps for SD and 1.5 Mbps for HD
(Sorry, no number was available for 360)

2 Likes

Still not clear…is connection to the camera from an Echo Show going to the internet and back? If so, why?

If you meant going from the camera to the Echo show, then the answer is yes. I’m not privy to the exact way this is accomplished, but the feed is not direct to the Echo Show. It has to be sent up to the Amazon servers, first. Then it is fed back to the Echo Show. This adds to the delay in the feed. I’m not an Alexa / Amazon device user, so that’s all I really know. There is more information here…

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. Guess it isn’t going to work for me…my internet connection is too slow. Thought the connection from Echo to Wyze camera would be local which would make more sense rather than wasting internet bandwidth.

It would make more sense, but the echo is a pure cloud based device. So all it’s input has to come through the amazon cloud.

So video from the camera to the Wyze servers, to amazon, to your echo.

1 Like

Since posting, I’ve seen a number of posts about internet speed, and I want to confirm here.

I have a 500Mbps symmetry connection. My house is hard wired to three different access points with different SSIDs for each. I check the channels that they are running on for interference periodically. My internet connection is not the issue.

I am able to use my phone with the Wyze app and it will run all night without an issue. When I use the Echo Show it constantly goes into “Buffering” and eventually just fails and goes back to the home screen. There is no consistency on when this happens. It could be 1 or more times that the buffering screen pops up that it will fail back to the home screen.

I have used other cameras, and just switched to Wyze. My camera for the “baby monitor” was originally an Amazon Cloud Cam and that worked without issue. I also have used a Nest and a Logitech without issue. But I settled on the Wyze brand because of the cost and hardware for wiring up my house with these. I also used a ring cam, but realized that they limit you to 15 minutes on the live stream which doesnt work for a baby monitor.

Now, this all being said. Last night I upgraded my cameras to 4.9.5.98 which was pushed out on the 27th. Since then, the buffering issue doesnt occur as frequently. But eventually it does, and the echo goes back to the home screen.

tl;dr: Internet connection is not the problem, there is something wrong with either the camera software and/or the Alexa skill that is causing the buffering issue.

2 Likes

Just purchased 2 wyze cams and Pan& Tilt model. I to am having issues with buffering then when trying to close the app screen goes black like its been invaded by a hacker. Then regains back to normal.

Another issue…One minute it says signal strength 90% then after checking, its down to 58%? How’s that possible? No activity on my PC that’s connected to the router and no interference or change in geography?

But what is really annoying is when I set up the Detection Zone option. After enabling it nothing happens in regards to recording or alerts. No recording in the attached 32gb SD card or any notifications sent . But when the Detection Zone option is disabled it records and alerts me (sometimes).
Any suggestions Gwendolyn?
Thanks

I totally 100% agree with you. I’m having the same issue and as I stated I think I stated it backwards though my down load speed is over 100, upload speed is over 10. My router firmware is up-to-date. I just got an updated modem. My echo show is literally sitting over my router and modem separated simply by my desk top. I don’t have issues with anything else. I Wyze firmware is up-to-date. There is no reason for this

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines

That’s definitely a lot going on, @jrperrotta! I would recommend contacting the customer support team. With the signal strength drop, you may have an intermittent network issue but I would need more data to say for sure. I’m sorry that’s happening!

Wyze Customer Support

For everyone else, I’ll share the feedback about Alexa with the team. We wouldn’t expect the stream to last more than 10 minutes due to the intentional cut off but the buffering is definitely not as it should be.

2 Likes

Buffering

1 Like

Thanks for the information @UserCustomerGwen. So buffering issue aside, the stream will only last 10 minutes max? That kinda defeats the purpose, and my use case of using Wyze+Echo Show as a baby monitor. I don’t think that is an Alexa limitation as it works with other cameras I have tried.

That is correct. This is a limit put in place to balance use case and cost. Most people only watch a live stream through Alexa for about three minutes. We added more time to catch most folks but keep product prices low.

Sorry for the inconvenience! I know that some parents use a dedicated tablet for this. You may want to consider that route instead.

1 Like

Good news for me! Since I followed through with the complaint regarding buffering and my screen going to black, all seems to be working well now. I suspect it was a problem with WYZE network issue. Probably overloaded with so many new subscribers. Well so far so good lets hope its no longer a problem.

1 Like

Having the same issue. I have Amazon Echo Shows of multiple sizes, fire cubes, various kindles (most not online con-currently) and Lenovo and Google Nest Smart displays along with several Chromecast Ultras. I have a Gbps tier with Comcast and average 100 Mbps download and 40Mbps at both the camera sites and the devices I’m trying to stream to. The google devices are a complete no-go with dark screen and constant buffering. The Alexa devices range from moderate to severe buffering. My android phone on the same wifi works flawlessly.

Add me to the running list of frustrated users. Brand new Amazon Echo show 8. Wyze cam gives video for a few second here and there then constantly buffering. Ive got high speed broadband service. I dont want to hear the bandwidth excuse. I have no problems streaming 4k to both my tvs (even simultaneously) Ive got Ring cams, Tablets, cellphones all doing there thing without any buffering issues.

I’ve been watching this thread close. I realizing its madding to have buffering issues. Wyze uses the 2.4 bandwidth only on their cameras as do other camera makers. Several things effect the signal from your router where you live. Mainly congestion with the 2.4 is a issue. Here are some thing that you can do to improve your signal.

1. Selecting the proper WiFi channel in your router can significantly improve your WiFi coverage and performance. In the 2.4 GHz band, 1, 6, and 11 are the only non- overlapping channels . Selecting one or more of these channels is an important part of setting up your network correctly.
  2. Placing your router in your home in a higher location, HIGHER IS BETTER. Basements are very restrictive to WiFi signs.
  3. Relocate away from other electrical devices IE TVs, and other WiFi devices
  4. in your router change the DNS servers to faster connection . Use IP address 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Its faster for most users.
  5. If you have a dual band router . Move all devices that can run on 5GHz to that band if its running on 2.4.
  6. Get a good WiFi analyzer for your phone or computer. It will show channel overlapping from neighbors and etc. Here is one for windows 10 Microsoft Apps

Those are good things to check for buffering issues but it seems the majority of complaints im seeing stem from people who have a good camera connection. The running theme seems to be viewing wyze camera on your phone or tablet through the wyze app works flawlessy. Ive never had a problem with that. Its with these smart hubs like alexa and google where it buffers constantly. So cleary the camera has plenty of bandwith to operate properly. I call up the cam on my alexa show and its buffering. Ill then open my wyze app on my iphone on the same wifi network it and works fine

2 Likes

ill add another piece to the equation. I have a fire tablet. There is no Wyze app for Fire OS so you can only bring it up throught eh Wyze skill. However i sideloaded the google play store on my fire tablet so i can download any app. I now have the wyze app up and running. If i open the app and bring up my camera it connects and works great. However if i close the app…and ask alexa to view the camera its a problem. In and out. Constantly buffering. So clearly there is a difference in how the native wyze app is accesing the feed and how alexa and possibly google hub smart screens access feeds.

1 Like

That’s a helpful observation. Thanks.