Connecting Wyze Sense to Alexa

Love it for the beta. And love it more because you are still working on this to make this happen.

I am just trying to have fun experimenting with this. Can you tell why the Alexa app suddenly stopped notifying me about new contact sensors or motion sensors that I am adding now to the Wyze bridge? It did pretty well 3 days ago when I added a bunch of sensors.

Thanks again for all the smart work!

You already asked that question here Alexa Routine Integration for Wyze Sense - #97 by g10.
Please don’t post the same question in different places :slightly_smiling_face:

I am honestly not sure why some of us see it and some do not. I suspect it’s a combination of things. But the good news is it’s obviously in the works! At the moment I still see everything via the Alexa app correctly so I am walking on tippy toe and called the power company and threatened dire consequences for a power failure!

:rofl:

The one I added is still in there , I’m not going to mess with any other ones I’m a scaredy cat :grinning:
I think a coon might have eaten the motion sensor I have the shed though :wink:

For those of you like myself who are having fun trying out this Beta feature, here is something that I tried. Instead of adding the Voice Action to an Echo device add it to This Device (I presume Alexa voice assistant is needed on the phone). When the sensor is activated you will hear the voice action spoken through your phone. Also you can use Bluetooth to direct it to a different device such as an automobile radio or PC. It works great on my Galaxy S8.

I don’t ask her to say it. I put it into a routine triggered by a contact sensor. It works. Just makes a beep.

I’d like to look into that more. I looked into it briefly but it wasn’t clear if Alexa could play a song with a custom sound file. It seemed like it needed to be on a music service. Does Spotify have an album of bleeps and bloops I can use? (Legitimate question. Maybe it does. Haha.)

Or a big Azz Bluetooth speaker :laughing: :grinning:

source

2 Likes

I didn’t NEED to delete it, but you can try that.Shouldn’t hurt anything. Just a little more annoying to reorganize things in the app after it’s deleted. If you add a product that’s already there, it just “overwrites” the existing one basically.

I can add a “wait” in Alexa, but that doesn’t do what I’m talking about. It would have to be conditional on whether the door remains open/closed. It would be nice for Alexa to say “You left the door open” 90 seconds after it’s opened, but only IF it remains opened. If I closed the door, I don’t want Alexa to do that.

You can do that in the Wyze app currently (Notification when a sensor is left opened/closed for X time)

1 Like

Update time:
So, some of you have discovered that we unleashed some beta code in production. Problem is Alexa is not too happy about it because they did not get a chance to review it before going live. So in order to limit problems overall, here are a few things that we had to do. See below for the current limitations.
We are finalizing the tests and have to go through certification from Alexa so it’s around the corner and are trying to hit the end of 2019 at the very latest. We might be able to release earlier but no promise.

Limitations:

• We have removed the discovery of new devices. So if your contact/motion sensor is not showing up in Alexa, it won’t be discovered until we release for good. So if you have the device in Alexa and you delete it, it won’t come back.
  • For all the devices that have already been discovered by Alexa, we are maintaining the behavior so you should be able to use it. Just keep in mind that this is not certified for the moment so use cautiously (ie. Expect that it might be broken at some point).
  • We had a feature for the camera. If you setup a routine for that, please note that we are not sending the corresponding events. In other words, your routine will NOT be called until we go full production with that feature.
    Cameras are creating a high risk situation so we had to kill the feature until we are certified.

As you can see we are working on fulfilling our promise to be more Alexa compliant. I know that feature has been highly requested so I can’t wait to turn the production switch on so you can all enjoy it without restriction.

12 Likes

Thank you for the detailed information. I love the way Wyze directly engages the community! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Frederik
Thanks for posting this , I appreciate it :slightly_smiling_face:

Oops. Hope we didn’t get you guys into trouble. Either way, it was a nice surprise and I’m glad this is coming soon in its full form. :slight_smile: Once it goes live, is there any possibility we could get “left open/left closed” triggers in Alexa in addition to the simple “open/closed” ones, similar to what’s in the Wyze app?

That’s what I did and it won’t save the routine.

Oh. Strange. And you use an iPhone, right? I wonder we’re running different versions of the Alexa app.

Are you using something like the Kids’ Edition Echo Dot? Or parental restrictions of some kind? Maybe that would do it.

This is very neat and we appreciate your (and the teams) effort on making this a reality!

1 Like

I tried it on both my iPad and iPhone. No parental controls etc.

On my iPad this is the version.

On my iPhone it’s this.

Same here. Didn’t work for me re-adding and existing contact sensor or adding a brand new one that wasn’t ever connected. Neither show up in Alexa. The one that does show up in Alexa is one that I did not re-add or reset. And that one shows up in Alexa as a camera. Work in progress.

1 Like