Connect to Siri

Quick update on HomeKit.

I’m revising my position on the integration. With the current state of the SmartHome, I will oppose any direct integration with HomeKit. But before calling for my head on a spike, hear me out! :slight_smile:

If you are following the smarthome tech news, you have probably heard about CHiP (Connected Home over IP) or as it is known now: Matter. If not, head to: https://buildwithmatter.com to get a quick intro.
The second thing is that Wyze has joined the alliance. See our name at the bottom when you expand the list of participants.

My recommendation around HomeKit has moved from we should do it to not do a direct integration anymore, Wyze should make Matter compliant devices. Why? Because by making the devices Matter compliant, we would be making it HomeKit compliant AND also Alexa and Google Home but also … SmartThings and many more ecosystems that are going to be Matter compliant.

So where does that leave us. Well we have a joined the alliance about a month ago and we are currently evaluating the effort that it would take to get the devices compliant (ie: we are trying to digest the 1,500 pages of specs). This is not an overnight thing unfortunately and the expectation is that Matter compliant devices (in general, not Wyze specific) will show up early 2022. Once we have a better grasp on the spec, we will start looking at the devices that could be good candidates for Matter and work with the ODM to see if they can do that integration.

6 Likes