Thermostat Complete Operating Manual

The Thermostat is great, installation instructions were minimal. Users need a comprehensive operating manual to avoid hours of trial and error in programming. PLEASE

[Mod Edit] Title Edited for Search Clarity

Need complete operating instructions for all of the Wyze devices, available online and searchable. Include, e.g., how to make the camera display change from last night’s image to the current view this morning. Wyze instructions are far too cryptic or just not there at all. Another example: The “three dots” instructions for registering Wyze plugs is useless if the three dots are not available. How to fix that? The search function on this Community page should be comprehensively redundant, but it isn’t. The technology of the devices is excellent. But documentation is stingy. Very frustrating.

1 Like

Agree! Great job with setup instructions but nothing about operating it!!!

1 Like

Totally agree on the need for an in depth instruction manual for the thermostat with more detailed breakdown of wiring and functions. This is not a standalone device; it controls some important and potentially dangerous equipment and begs for more comprehensive documentation. Why make us scour forums and the internet for answers that could easily be covered in a routine users manual? Can we get a reply from Wyze on this?

Continuing the discussion from Complete Operating Manual:

Couldn’t agree more about the need for thermostat manual! Of all the Wyze products thermostat is essential. If it isn’t working or programmed properly pipes and people start freezing. At least around here. I’ve only had the unit for a week and multiple times woken up in the morning and the temperature has fallen WAY below the minimum set point. 53 degrees when overnight temp should be 62. Totally unsat there is no guide on the settings and how they interact. I may have to reinstall my old programmable thermostat. Very Disappointing.

The performance of my thermostat is adequate, but the lack of updates and features that were advertised having since been disabled is pretty disheartening. Don’t think I’ve had a single update to the thermostat in weeks

Yes please, a complete user manual is a must! Like many folks, I was thrilled that Wyze made a thermostat, but it has been an unending series of trial and error figuring out what is what. My wife is not happy and wants me to reinstall the old dumb thermostats!

Granticus nailed it. I would wander around my house for the next few weeks in the cold trying to figure this thermostat out, but my wife won’t stand for it. Please send us some instructions!

No instruction manual, even for beta testers, is unacceptable. If have found numerous bugs and flaws. Submitted tickets and nothing has happened and the issues still exist. This is a simple dumb device. Should not have even 1 issue. I 've tested the temp of the thermometer itself and it is 5+ degree hotter than the wall it is attached to. It rarely switches to 'away by itself. Due to my wife’s complaints I have set it to max comfort now. And what is with the 5 min degree difference in heat/cold. Maybe 1 degree at the most.

I am also very frustrated by the thermostats. Bought two for the two buildings on my property. Where are the comprehensive operating instructions? How about competent support help? Every time I have called I talk to what seems like a new hire who is unable to answer the most basic of questions.

The other day, one of the thermostats seemed to go into runaway mode. The temperature just kept climbing into the nineties. the device was so warm that it wouldn’t even respond to a walkup display or button action. Called but got no help other than “we will send out a replacement”. Been two weeks now and my order seems to be held up in “packing”? Ended up having to shut down HYVAC system. Finally got thermostat sort of working again but what are you supposed to do when your wall thermostat fails in the middle of winter?

Now we seem to have a new “feature” called “Preferences” . What the hell is that and how to use? If you set it it seems to override any schedule.

My frustration continues.

I’ve bought 5 cameras, 1 doorbell, and 3 thermostats; most as preorders. Wyze certainly didn’t mind holding my money for weeks until they shipped products :rage:.

Their documentation stinks. I’m convinced they’re positioning themselves to be bought out by a more experienced, established, name recognized company. At which point, the Wyze products will slowly be mothballed and owners urged to transition to the products of the larger company.

So, temps are increasing in AZ and the thermostats are now turned on for more than an initial test. Duh, settings don’t work, cutoffs are exceeded - cheap can be enticing, but the proof is in performance. They’re coming off the wall, buying something that works, provides documentation, and a robust service desk.

Good Bye Wyze. I hope the founders are happy when they sell out!

Carl W Schreiber
Gilbert, AZ 85297

I agree! These guys make great affordable products but I was an electrical engineer and I cant imagine putting products out but not explaining how to use them. A manual is a must for a product like the thermostat I have (and all others). I may have to get rid of it just because I dont want to have to play the “make a change and see how it reacts” game to figure out its operation.

Yes, PLEASE, Wyze, give online detailed manuals for all products. When I voiced my frustration to Tech support chat (6 clicks to get to real chat???!!!), they responded “Our record shows that a Quick Start Guide is already included in the box.” Quick start guides are NOT manuals. I’m about to trash 5 webcams (three different types/versions) and a thermostat because I’m tired of searching the web and YouTube to try to learn what the products do and how to do it. That information should be on your website. A herd of 11 deer came into the frame of three of my cameras during the day, none recorded them. A person parked in the street, walked up my driveway, delivered a package at my door and back to their vehicle. The cam facing the door correctly recorded them coming to the door, but the one facing the driveway didn’t record anything. I have no idea how to get the cams to consistently record things other than the trees blowing and bugs flying by. And the number of “errors” when I try to view or download recordings is unacceptable. I was told a few months ago they were working on those issues, but nothing has changed. And yet they keep making new products. Eventually frustrated users are going to stop buying any of your products.

Most Wyze documentation is online:

https://wyzelabs.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sections/360011338991-Wyze-Thermostat

OK, next question……….

How can these thermostat ‘notes’ be printed so they can be read without being on an electronic device? That’s what an operating manual is. Going back and forth on a device is insane!

Moderator Note: Personal information has been manually removed from this post. Such information often gets included inadvertently in an email signature block when replying by email. The forum software attempts to automatically remove email signatures but it is not always successful. When replying to the forum by email, it is best to remove the signature block yourself before sending.

The link is not to a manual. Is this site only users? I would think someone from Wyze would respond. Maybe there is a financial reason they wont create a Users Manual? I cant get geofence “AutoSwitch” to work consistenly. I think I am going to be a different stat soon. Love the features they say are there but dont know how to operate them.

Wyze could make it a PDF file that can be read (and word searched) online, printed, or downloaded for future use. That’s how I see most manuals set up.

Ya, seems like a simple solution to solve a massive image problem. Their techs can write code, but they can’t figure out how to keep their pre-paying customers happy. Another reflection of a startup positioning itself to be bought out :wink:.

Carl W Schreiber
Gilbert, AZ

I was in the temperature control service business for 40 years. Stat installed great. Then what’s this knob for? You can turn it, push it, & different stuff comes up. Then what? No instructions. In the future Wyze needs to mention when they are selling something that it does not come with instructions. You just have to wing it. Wyze do better

We all agree. Number one complaint. Next issue is “away” does not work. Hard to believe they are selling these to the public with that feature broke, since day 1.