Complete Motion Recording + Playback on Wyze Cam Outdoor SD cards

Well, if they don’t allow full motion record without cam plus being required, I will not be buying more of them. And I will be pretty disappointed

1 Like

No point in having an SD card if you can’t just record to it for free like any other camera with an SD card.

I just finished typing up this feature request. Doesn’t look like I need to creat the post as this one seems to have it covered.

I agree with everyone that full motion capture locally shouldn’t be tied to a license,

The only change I would make to this feature request is that the camera records until the motion sensor gives the all clear plus 5 seconds. There is no reason to put a time limit on the recording especially since it is recorded locally.

2 Likes

Actually thinking about this a bit more, a natural extension of this feature would be if the user has elected to view the live stream of the camera that this feed should be recorded automatically and stored on the camera and base station. This feature should have no impact on the battery as the user manually turned the camera on.

1 Like

Outdoor cam is useless to me without full motion recording to SD card. I didn’t know this when I purchased it and will certainty not be buying more. I may even sell this one. 12sec recordings every 1min is useless.

1 Like

Hey guys, new to the forums.
I too was severely disappointed with the limitations of the Outdoor Cam. To the point of almost wanted to return them. I’m also in the camp of not caring about the battery life, I’ll happily recharge the battery several times a month if it means full motion recordings. 12 seconds is useless and why the ring video doorbell sucks. I’ve missed packages being stolen because of it.
I just wanted to confirm that the feature is in development? Any estimates when I might be released? Even with CamPlus?

1 Like

@Notloc Welcome to the Wyze community!

Confirmed! :slightly_smiling_face:

Cam Plus is currently already being used/tested on the outdoor cam in the Beta app. It should be released to the production app in the very near future. You will be able to choose the length of video clip from 12s to 5 min of course at the cost of shorter battery life. Below is a screenshot of my outdoor cam settings from my Cam Plus event recordings.

5 Likes

Thank you for getting back to me. That’s awesome to hear. Looking forward to that coming down the pipe!

2 Likes

We shouldn’t need Cam Plus if we have an SD card. Just like the rest of the cameras. Unacceptable.

1 Like

As usual with most things Wyze, when a new product is released, it goes thru a tweaking phase. One thing I’ve always liked about Wyze hardware is that it is robust enough to allow new features either by firmware or to the app to be added based on the things customers want after release. Think about it. How many features have they added to their products after release because customers didn’t like this or that, or wish it could do something, but doesn’t? This is no different. Full motion recording is coming as shown. They were conservative at first release to get the product out and know it would be reliable. Now that it’s out and has proven itself, new features will be added.

1 Like

I agree… I don’t need cloud access. We should be able to record up to 5 min locally on any camera.

2 Likes

What is the timeline for release? It is really frustrating that we have to pay for cam plus to get extended recording. I have an SD card in both the camera and base.

I agree that they are useless without full (or at least longer) event recording. I bought a bunch of them and have been unsuccessfully trying to return them as a result of this. It would be helpful to know that this is happening, as well as a timeline. It would also be helpful to know when motion to SD recording will be available (if it will). At the moment I am embarrassed for having recommended these to others.

3 Likes

I’m dumbfounded. I never considered that these cameras wouldn’t record motion to the SD cards. After several attempts to troubleshoot my camera, I finally sought out information on ‘my’ issue, only to discover that this feature hasn’t been implemented yet. I guess I will anxiously await the update…

3 Likes

How do you apply the Cam Plus to the Outdoor Cam? I joined the beta app, installed it, but I can only select my V2s and don’t have the multiple length recording options in your screenshot.

Cam Plus is not available for the outdoor camera…it won’t be available until December.

I will never again recommend Wyze to friends or family. They promised free person detection forever and went back on their promise. The outdoor cams I bought are useless because they only record 12 seconds, and that’s IF they pickup motion at all (which mine only work 50% of the time and the other 50% seems to be phantom movement that is invisible, maybe there’s warm ghosts in my yard). I’m not willing to pay a monthly fee for something that was promised to be free, and yeah it’s only 15 bucks a year PER camera but just watch, they will be raising the price to fund all of these new products.

1 Like

Me and my sister keep getting “SD card not installed errors” every so often, I restarted the camera and even formatted the SD card. I’m using a Wyze SD card I bought from wyze.com so I think we should be able to view playback if we are cam plus subscribers instead of using the SD card for that, instead have SD Card as a back up… for when it actually works and records…

I’ve been getting those now too. It’s definitely seeming like Wyze is stretching itself a little thin with all the product releases and it can’t focus on the ones it already has and their issues. I get being an aggressive startup, but if you alienate your user base, it’s short term gain, long term loss.

The outdoor cam and the base unit both allow for installation of a micro-SD card. Once installed, only recordings triggered by automatic timer may be preserved on the cards. The user cannot send motion-triggered recordings to the cards.

Please allow the user to preserve motion-triggered recordings so that they can be protected from deletion, in contrast to cloud-saved recordings which appear to be purged by a certain number of elapsed days from event date.