Communication Issue Thermostat

I talked to customer support , first they told to me to restart the device , didn’t work . Second reinstall app , didn’t work . Third to install a third party app to check my network , network is fine just make sure to always work with your 2.4GHZ network . Couldn’t find a solution , they are going to send me a new unit. I will keep you posted when the new unit arrive .

Interesting. Totally agree. I have a lot of Wyze products but maybe they are just going too fast. A year ago I called with a problem with a camera and support was on the phone within a minute. Not so anymore.
Also as a second note. I put all my devices on my “guest” network. Other than made in China or not, sooner or later the devices or the companies will be hacked and you do not want entries into your internal network. Wyze devices work fine with this. And in the end, even after this “network” problem, I was able to get it working while my phone was on internal network and thermostat on Guest network. In the end the device is communicating directly with Wyze and you are connecting to it via Wyze. Which also means that if your network goes down or Wyze’s goes down, you will not access via app. This actually happened last month with my light switches (not Wyze), when AWS went down.

Losing a way to remotely control my lights is one thing, not being able to control my A/C is Florida after a hurricane because my internet is down is another. My backup power supply isn’t much good if I cannot control the HVAC.

Since Wyze did not build a manual control into this device, I think more questions will need to be answered. Exactly what in addition to electrical power has to be operational for the Thermostat to control the HVAC system? How does the thermostat receive it’s commands from the App? We input our commands via the App up to the internet then what? Wyze then communicates back with the device - supposedly through my ISP. Well no ISP no thermostat. Can Bluetooth be used since it is not dependent on a network. Not sure I want to be in that situation, dependent on my ISP for the ability to heat or cool my home. Turn on lights and watch TV is one thing - climate control is entirely a different animal.

Thanks for you your thoughts and I will continue to listen for others opinion on this topic.

Again, I am not an engineer or work for Wyze. But, first off, it does have manual control. The little knob on the front lets you control temperature and configure. Second, the power comes from the HVAC itself, so if the HVAC is without power, Wyze is not working, but HVAC is also not working.
As far as the connection to the app. I can only discern by what I can see.
My phone is connected on one network, the Wyze is on a totally different network. The fact that I can access the thermostat from my internal network , sort of indicates to me that the app is connected to Wyze servers and so is the app and that’s how the communicate. But I could be wrong. There could be some sort of P2P networking going on. This was definitely not the case with my light switches; which again, have manual override.

I have the same issue going on here. They replaced the first thermostat after it gave the same Communication Issue error. I installed the replacement and got the same error. I am waiting for tech support to get back to me but am starting to think I may have to look at other options.

Jonz

If you can’t set the preferences you don’t have any control period. My point was and is if they put a manual control ability that is independent of the wifi set up then I would not have to continually have to install and uninstall this POS. Secondly I think I stated I have backup power to the house hence power.

Thanks

hi. Not sure I totally understand, but in any case, there is limited manual control without the app. But I agree, that without the app/wifi, the device is MUCH more limited than a standard $50 thermostat. I also have a Nest and Ecobee; I can configure everything on these devices.
I also believe that Wyze should be jumping on these forums and also responding better to users. Who knows how many people are having this issue? I’ll bet a LOT.

I was having the same issue tried several times with no success including restoring it to factory. Eventually I thought about my range extender, when I disabled the extender for my WiFi so that both my phone and the thermostat were on the same router it worked.

Thanks for the info, but I don’t believe my specific problem is related to the Wifi signal. The thermostat does communicate with the Wyze website, but then the setup fails when attempting to personalize. Still looks like an APP glitch to me.

Having the same issue. It updated firmware without issue. Reset multiple times. Used different phones and wyze accounts. No dice so far. “Network not good”…

If you have a lot of devices connected to your wifi, try disconnecting several of them. It’s possible your router has too many devices on it and is having trouble with the load, especially if you have a bunch of IoT devices on top of the normal load.

Vaaish, I only have a few active devices, and if that was the case, the Thermostat wouldn’t even be able to communicate with the Wyze server, which it does.

Thx for the suggestion.

Jonz,

My idea of manual is the ability to control the HVAC independent of any external signals. Until you go through the “Personalize” process and get it fully integrated the first time there is NO ability I can find to control your HVAC, having to repeat installations everyday in an attempt to get it to work. If we had a way to manually control the HVAC while attempting to get started then thing would be a lot better.

As for an update, I used the third party app they suggested and it scanned my network and the thermostat in an attempt to discover the problem. The results was a suggestion I reboot my network (which I have done several times) and disconnect all my IoT devices (all Wyze devices except for a Ring doorbell).

I am finished and have asked for a refund. You guys carry on. I’ll let you know how the return goes and if they provide me back the data they scanned from my network.

Regards,

Ray

Nope.

It’s an issue with the Wyze thermostat or the app.

Hey Ray,

You went above and beyond trying to figure it out. Most would have sent it back way before. I also have Nest and Ecobee. If you want to spend a little more, I’d get an ecobee. It’s an easy install and it works off the bat. And of course, it has a lot more features. I am not a fan of the Nest, even disabling a lot of the features, it always has its own mind of the temperature; and I also found it to be inaccurate.

Jonz,

Good advice, thanks.

Ray

1 Like

I am confused as to why more people are not reporting this problem. What could be so different about our setups? I have tried Google Mesh WiFi as well as just the 2.4 ghz signal on my FIOS modem with no luck. Very frustrating. And no help from Wyze.

I know it’s frustrating, but it is possible it’s just not a widespread issue? Have you tried skipping the personalization step and just changing the settings later? Maybe looking to see if there’s a firewall blocking access? Or even trying mobile data alone?

In my case it is stuck at the personalization step. The App will not let you “Setup later”.

1 Like

Has anyone received suggestions from Tech Support other than the basic setup checks that they list on their site?