Climate Sensors Review (HMS Temperature and Humidity Sensors)

Yes, it was, I realized that to. Thx!

I tested the notifications on my Android as well and have found that I did not get any notifications for teperature. I have set the notifications up again on the Android Device as yesterday I set it up on iOS. Trying to determine if it is related to OS or simply notifications is not working;

Both of these screen shots shows I had an event but no notifications

Sensor 1

Sensor 2

Try the heat boundary. I get notifications for those on Android. I haven’t tested the cool boundary notification or the humidity ones yet though.

1 Like

I did when I reset it. The heat boundary worked the cool did not seem to. Will see if I get alerted later tonight.

1 Like

@carverofchoice

Did my test and the Heat Point did notify as expected. However, the graph did not show the Heat point marker on all occurrences.

EDIT

Just got a Cool Point Notification. So I think it is working, but will monitor.

1 Like

Just saw they got the new RC app testing under beta to fix the Temp disparity you pointed out. Well done buddy.

1 Like

Saw that and so far it seems accurate. However, I don’t think they meant the Leak Sensor in bullet one. I think it should have been the climate sensor

1 Like

Great info. Really like these small sensors.
For linking to thermostat though, that is more of a current marketing trend/hype (championed by Ecobee, Residio, Nest). Even the best sensors and thermostat cannot “fix” a problem with an unbalanced air distribution system.
Using sensors might “move” the sensing point, having it be dynamic, akin to putting the thermostat on a long wire and hauling it around to where one happens to be. It will only adjust the temperature “there”, resulting in other places of the dwelling be either too hot or too cold. Often leading to higher utility bills.
As long as a dwelling consists of only one “zone” (and the vast amount of residentials do) a properly balanced air distribution is far more important than remote sensors. It is sort of the bane of forced air systems, the most simple and primitive heat distribution systems out there (I’m a fan of hydronic heating which puts a whole different level of individual control in different areas, sadly not as commonly seen here in the US).

1 Like

Yeah, definitely would be better to have hydronic heating. I compensate a little bit by using space heaters in the worst areas, and some humidifiers in a couple of locations, but it is hard to have a house really balanced with forced air systems. I think this is why Wyze asked a long time ago about thoughts related to a smart heater and things like that which would help balance the temperature out a little bit.

On the Home Screen, I would like to see a large bold font on the climate sensor something like my pic below. The light gray font color is difficult to see for old eyes. Outside that, I really like these climate sensors so far.

1 Like

That would be AWESOME! You should make this into a wishlist item with your picture and idea and then let us know what the link is, I’ll vote for it. Wyze said they do have employees regularly check the Wishlist section for new good ideas, and this would look pretty cool for these. they should do the same for the thermostat and maybe even have bulbs lit up or dull depending on if they’re on or not. All that kind of stuff would be pretty cool looking.

1 Like

Thanks, Carver! I created a wishlist topic for it. I like to open the Wyze app and just glance at the temperature on the sensors but usually have to grab my reading glasses to see the light print. :nerd_face:

1 Like

I agree.

I would like to point out to others though that it can still be helpful to a degree to at least have temperature sensors in many places. For example, with these climate sensors (not connected to the thermostat) I can monitor what the temperature is in each room and see where the outliers are (which rooms are getting too much heat or air conditioning).

For the wintertime where I am mostly using the furnace to heat the house, I can now see which rooms are stealing too much of heat before it is getting to other rooms I want it to go to. Now I can go around and shut vents in part or in full (depending on the type of vent) to reduce the heat to that general location to be closer to the same temperature as the rest of the house on average by allowing more of that heat that it was taking to instead travel onward toward the places that are always colder (raising their temperature to better levels). This sort of thing can help me to balance the overall temperature distribution a little throughout my house because now I can see the differences between them all.

It’s still not perfect, but these climate sensors are VERY helpful in letting me know where I can try to add or reduce the amount of air coming to them to get a better balance.

But despite that, the overall point made by @Wellcraft19 remains unchanged and perfectly factual and valid. Sensors connected to the thermostat don’t necessarily add a huge benefit over just having separate temperature sensors like these because no matter what, the HVAC is not going to act any differently in the end (it will always base things on a central reference point, even if that point becomes dynamic instead of static, there will always be some places warmer or cooler than others in the house. In fact, it could cause increased utility bills because it costs a lot less to keep things stable than it does to continually compensate up and down for a new dynamic reference point. This is a very good thing to consider. Knowing the reference point will never change allows the system to plan and use less energy to maintain it there with less effort. Easier just to adjust vents, etc to try balancing the best we can, or get some safe space heaters or something to help out.

Regardless, I love having climate sensors everywhere to help me identify where some minor alterations might help out, and I still look forward to the 3-in-1 sensors whenever they become available.

1 Like

Agree with you @carverofchoice. I also use the wood fired fireplace a lot, and have been recording temp and time data for years. It is fun to log and record all types of data (just to “have it” for potential future use).

1 Like

Ah, a fellow data nerd! Now I like you even more! I too collect all sorts of data and enjoy logging and recording things and seeing patterns and gaining insight.

1 Like

I also had an issue with one sensor not wanting to get past this point. I did the same thing, but now it will disconnect after a few mins. I am going to check the contacts to see if that helps!

So I checked the sensor I had a problem with…here is what happened -

Pulled the sensor off the adhesive back to look at the battery.

Strange…this one rattles. The others do not rattle.

Looks like the battery is moving.

Pulled Battery

Bent the 4 negative contacts up a bit and bent the positive in toward the center a bit with the point of my utility knife.

Removed the sensor from the hub/app.

Paired the sensor with the hub.

Temp/humidity is now updating!

Woohoo!

TLDR - Sensor would not reliably connect or report to hub. Removed battery. Bent contacts for + and - toward the battery position. Reinstalled Battery. Re-paired to hub. Success!

2 Likes

Same issue I had. I took the sensor apart, curiosity got the best of me, plus I broke one of thos ein the past, so I was cautious.

Great job.

Just got the Climate Sensors and noticed there wasn’t a group device option. Does anyone know if this is on the roadmap? Thanks!

One of the Wyze team members indicated that a group option will be available at some point.

5 Likes