Change Wifi Network

Wait, one needs to factory reset a device in order for it to join a different WiFi network?

(E.g. if I get a different router and set up a different SSID?)

That, in turn, means your camera-specific settings (detection, alerts, etc.) you spent a few afternoons tuning - are gone for good?

Why do I feel like it’s 1990 all over again? (Abort / Retry / Fail?)

1 Like

No, not true. I change my SSID names and passphrases about every 2-3 months. I can’t speak to v1 cams, but I’m guessing they work the same way as my v2’s and v3. Once your new SSID and or passphrase is configured, simply hit the reset button on the bottom of a cam. Then configure it as you did the first time. If you have rules setup, the key is to name the camera with the exact same name it had on the old SSID. Whomp, you’re done and good to go.

I’ve done this about 6 times in the past year. I have a bridge plugged into one of my v2’s which talks to 3 sensors. All of my rules work just great and I only configured them once.

1 Like

Fantastic - thanks!

You bet and happy to clarify. Have a great day, a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!

I had to rename my network name on my router. Then I had to go to all 12 cameras and “add” them back. Luckily it remembered the individual settings for each camera, However getting a ladder to manually “add” them again was a real inconvenience.

I am surprised there isn’t a way to do this through the app. Anyone know if this feature request is in their product backlog? I love Wyze, I love their products…

Best from Boston,

2 Likes

Not exactly…but the whole process feels like a “Factory reset.” You have to press the button, enter the new SSID and PW, Then scan the QR code. The only thing you don’t have to do is enter in your rules and individual camera settings (detection zone…etc)>

Best from Boston,

2 Likes

It is Nov 2023. Updating this thread to report that Wyze has still not prioritized an update to this process and I have to climb a ladder to ‘update’ my wifi settings. They are continuing to maintain their priorities to expand their new customer base over supporting and retaining existing customers.
Thankfully I have only one that is hard to reach, unlike other customers that have way more devices and feel their pain.
Nice job Wyze! NOT