Change WiFi Network Name (SSID) and password without device reset

Agree this is needed, I am a Wyze Fan and my router is flaking and am going to replace. I have the following all need to reinstall now when do as cannot change wif:

• 4 cameras
  • 2 doorbells
  • vacuum
  • 2 indoor plugs
  • 2 outdoor plugs
  • 3 bulbs
  • one Wyze sense bridge

This is going to be a pain and take long time and will then have to reset all the routines, settings, schedules, etc…

Love that Wyze does not require a base station but this makes me question that design.

1 Like

To clarify, are you saying you can’t change the SSID and password on the new router to match the old one? Is this an ISP-provided router that locks you out of the settings?

I could - if I set up I the new router with same SSID and password, would this mean i do not need to reset up all the Wyze when have new router?

So I am about to install a new router. On the router to be replaced I have three Wyze cams V2, V3, and Pan. My plan is to create a Wi-Fi network with all the same settings as what these devices sit on now. So same SSID, same IP subnet, same password. Will this fool these Camera’s into connecting? The only other gotcha is the fact that this is an Eero6 mesh. So it combines 2.4ghz and 5ghz into one. So far I have read that for the most part Eero works with 2.4ghz Wyze devices. Apparently Eero does have the ability to disable 5ghz for 15 minutes. This seems to allow the cams to connect in their beloved 2.4ghz band, Am I on the right track here? Thanks

I have cameras that roam regularly between three access points (a 4th one once in a while). All different BTW. As long as the SSID and PW information is the same, it should work fine.
Can’t help on the Eero.

1 Like

I setup new router Wi-Fi with my old ssid and password and all my devices worked perfectly. My older cameras pan v2 cameras had to unplug and then worked but sometimes take while to connect. So I may reset one of those to see if helps. But all my above other items worked fine.

Are you on the Eero Mesh network?

Not Eero Mesh, but I dig go from google Mesh which had 2.5 and 5.0 to TP-link Deco Mesh that has both as well. All my devices worked using same ssid and same password

So the Wyze devices were able to negotiate these Mesh networks where these bands are combined into one SSID. Great!

Thank You

I have the same setup - Eero6 mesh with older Eero nodes. I have never had to disable the 5ghz for any Wyze product. I have V2/3, Pans,bulbs, WCO bases, all the sensors and HMS and my wifi has always let me install and connect without having to disable 5ghz.
As far as settings, the SSID and password are the the most critical. I did exactly what you are describing when I moved from my old router and it was seamless.
That being said, obviously I make no guarantees!:thinking:
I hope you save as smooth a transition as I did!
Overall, not trying to plug anything, but I really like my Eero. All totaled with other plugs, Alexa, etc. I have 121 devices at last count and no major issues. (yet!)

1 Like

You’re not fooling anything. The cameras are connecting to the same SSID using the same password.

My routers combine 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Wifi and it works fine. You can even add 2.4Ghz devices with your phone on 5Ghz.

Every Wifi bulb, outlet, switch, camera, TV, tablet and phone that I own works the same way. If you change SSID and/or password you have to reconnect the device.

1 Like

Add ability to change all Wi-Fi settings within the device group or all devices when your Wi-Fi changes or your Wi-Fi password changes instead of having to set up all devices again

2 Likes

Might be nice, but tell me ANY other IoT device with that capability?

1 Like

Many IoT devices allow you to configure wifi via bluetooth so they don’t require physically pushing a button.

My issue is that I must gain physical access to wyze devices to update the wifi password.
I have at least 12 webcams. Many of these webcams are under security domes.

This means climbing ladders and removing the dome and pushing the wyze cam reset button and holding my wzye app on my phone in front of camera (while still on the ladder) and finally putting the security dome back on. I’ve got to do this at least 6 times. And besides being physically hazardous, it’s time consuming. Often the webcams will get misaligned while removing the domes, so that’s just more pain.

I just want a simple way to specify a “fallback network” in the settings that, if the primary network isn’t available, the device will use it instead.

Password rotation is a best practice. I’m just stuck with my old password forever because of the wyzecam’s requirement that I have to physically push a button on the device to update it.

2 Likes

Most still require you to push a button to enter a setup mode.

I would agree that having at least two networks would be the ideal way to do it (and preferably the ability to change that across all your Wyze devices at once). That way you could have the old and the new, and when the old goes away, the devices magically start using the new.
Being able to change them all at the same time from the app becomes important as more and more devices are added - I have almost 40 Wyze devices and I sure don’t want to have to manually change 40 devices, one at a time. I don’t know of any IoT devices that can do that.

Thanks to all who replied. Just got FIOS today and installed the Eero6 mesh right away.

1: No problem with a V2, V3, and pan cam navigating the combined band SSID on the Eero6. As long as you keep the same SSID and PW, it worked for me and all Wyze devices found the 2.4ghz network. I was not able to change subnets during the install (to match what I had). Did not try that hard because I only have one IP printer to worry about. This could present an issue if you have a lot of devices. The Wyze devices did not care about the subnet change from the TCP/IP level.

2: I like to isolate the Wyze devices from my production network. The Eero6 has a guest network (uses a different subnet). When you enable this, the phone app allows you to change the name (and password) of it to match what you had. This really helped with the Wyze devices.

3: Don’t forget to upgrade the firmware on the Eero6 cubes.

4: I was able to create a DHCP reservation for my printer in the typical manner.

5: Firewall? I really could not see a lot of info in the app for this. When you find it, it presents you with a list of devices it sees on your network and asks if you would like write rules for them. Beyond that the firewall seems basic to a fault with precious little logging or viewing of its settings.

Thank You

Don Stevenson

[Mod Edit]

Moderator Note: Personal information has been manually removed from this post. Such information often gets included inadvertently in an email signature block when replying by email. The forum software attempts to automatically remove email signatures but it is not always successful. When replying to the forum by email, it is best to remove the signature block yourself before sending.

Congrats on getting fiber to your house! I got fiber about a month ago - retired my DSL… Still have my cable as now the second ISP to the house.

I just had to do that today when one of my cameras got hacked. I have several, and some are mounted up high, with the outdoor mounting. A real pain for sure.

How were they hacked?

If it was via the internet, changing the WiFi SSID and/or password would have no impact. That would only be required if the hacker was in your area and “hacked” into your WiFi network.

That you said one of your cameras leads me to believe it was via the internet. Even if a hacker (more likely to be in another country than even the same state, much less the same city) had your WiFi SSID and password, it isn’t going to be much of a security risk. At worst, they could post on some hacker forum, “Hey, if you’re ever in and see this SSID, try this password”. Frankly, even that’s rather unlikely, and even more unlikely anyone would ever make use of that info.

1 Like