Doorbell - Option to turn off push button LED or change color

When it is dark outside, the blue LED from the push button on the front of the doorbell cam is very bright. Anyone walking by can can clearly see the blue shine and I don’t care to draw attention to my doorbell camera.

Personally, I would like to see the option of having the LED either turn off or change it to a different color like white. Please vote for this idea if you agree.

[Mod Edit]: Title modified to enhance search clarity.

Great idea @scsi050!
Don’t forget to vote for your own #wishlist item!

3 Likes

Voted, thanks for the reminder

3 Likes

Why do we get only one vote? I want to vote 1000 times on this… :slight_smile: maybe more… Thanks for writing up the wishlist!

11 Likes

Just got my preordered doorbell camera installed and working, Install was fairly easy, overall happy with the camera especially given its price tag. My main issue with it is the bright blue status light - the light is visible from probably 100 yards away and easily visibly from the road as people drive by. It’s one thing to see a doorbell camera as you approach the steps or the front door, but signaling to everyone driving by that you have a doorbell camera just invites problems in my opinion.

I’m hoping the brightness can be adjusted or the light just turned off completely, and I will wait for that update or for Wyze to acknowledge and review. In the end I cannot keep this camera installed long term as it is. besides the security threat it poses, the aesthetics are also an issue. You cant look at the front of my house without your eyes being drawn to the blue beacon next to my door!

15 Likes

I disagree. I like that the button is illuminated so bright. It first brings b attention to the porch pirates that you have a VDB and the other people know where to press

6 Likes

I agree. In the dark this really lights up and clashes with other lighting on the outside of our house. A way to significantly lower the button light brightness, turn it off at night, or turn it off altogether would be nice.

10 Likes

Could be programmed so the blue light comes on only when the white near motion light comes on.

7 Likes

Please make it dimmable, please. My HOA might ban wyze doorbell because of this way too bright blue LED light!

8 Likes

I think having the choice of color sachems would be handy, I want people to know they are on camera, but that bright blue beacon can be seen from way to far away for my taste. The biggest issue with changing the blue is likely troubleshooting, as it’s the bell color that is a big part of what indicates the type of issue one may be having. ( https://wyzelabs.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048707352-Understanding-your-Wyze-Video-Doorbell-Status-Light )

3 Likes

I wish it operated just like the v2 or pan cams status light. I want it to blink and show it’s status if there is an issue. But if all is good, turn off.

4 Likes

Another reason to hate HOA’s , I would recommend until this is worked out to make a sticky difuser out of some semi transparent plastic tape, it should soften the light and not interfere with the button and not make it ‘uggly’ from the street.

3 Likes

The other day my internet service went out while I was away from home, and I returned to an ultrabright light flashing between blue and orange repeatedly, visible from probably 200 yards away… Please correct this!

7 Likes

Just installed … really hate the blue light. No idea why they didn’t have a setting to turn it off just like the Wyze logo. Please fix it!

7 Likes

I would be happy with just being able to turn the blue light off. I like that it lights up when motion in detected but would like it off in stand by.

9 Likes

This feature is a no brainer for the next firmware update! Please Wyze Team! This is my only « cons » on the doorbell so far!!

4 Likes

In the meantime, here is a write-up for a little craft project I whiped up.

Here is how I “diluted” down the status light because it’s sooo darn bright. Starting with the control. Wyze VDB.

I tested placing a vinyl patch over the button. Tried white colored cricut brand and some other brands, but went with some pro car "carbon fiber " patterned vinyl (for a little tactile touch pan) I had. It covers the button nicely, but there is still some bleed through from the status light. Ok, actually a lot of bleed through

Next up picked a piece of black vinyl and the button light did not bleed through at all (other than some minor “glow” around the outside edge of the vinyl patch. Buuut I actually wanted to see the status of the camera, I didn’t want to cover it up fully. I cut out a small hole in the middle so the status light would still show through.

Now assemble time. Black patch goes first, white patch goes next to make the doorbell look white on the outside, then added a Wyze colored circle (for now) to be a visual “button”. Mounted and joy! It hasn’t been night yet so I can’t see what the status light will look like for now, but when I cup the doorbell it looks pretty dim which is right I think where I want it. May play around with the circle color, black maybe to match the lens? But I’ll keep it Wyze blue for now. Proof of concept… success.

PXL_20210519_143723745.PORTRAIT-02.ORIGINAL

6 Likes

Continuous Blue light at night should be configurable in setting. It should turn on as soon as motion is detected in the defined detection zone.

7 Likes

I agree. Please update the bell light software. Just installed my first Wyze doorbell. I’m impressed how easy it was. However, disappointed that I can not turn off the LED light that flashes like a beacon at my front door. The light is too bright in the day and obnoxious a night. The bell light flashes blue and more attention to my house. Seem like it is counter productive when you are trying to secure your home with a camera but now with the new doorbell draws more attention to your door. This door bell can be seen as soon as you turn down my street.

Wyze Engineers, please update the software to allow users to dim or turn of the illuminated bell light and static or flashing light.

If you agree, vote at top to help implement this change soon.

Thank you!

9 Likes

I would like to be able to turn off the led white light during the day.

3 Likes