Can you record only locally and not to the cloud?

If you turn off cloud recording (called Alerts), then you can still view the live stream and you can still record and remotely view video on the mSD card.

The USB-A port on the camera is there for the sole purpose of daisy chaining power to a 2nd/3rd camera so you don’t have to plug each on into wall power individually for cameras that are located close to each other.

1 Like

Where is Alert option ? I see below:
Gear Icon— event recording and Advance settings. Under event setting, record an event if camera detects motion. I guess this causes 12 sec recording on cloud. Under advance-local recording, i have 2 options: record event only or continuous recording. So seems for SD card recording an even must occur if i am NOT opting for continuous. That would automatically cause cloud recording which happens every 5 min for 12 sec even The motion is there for 2 continuous hrs.
I am looking to capture complete motion triggered events ONLY on SD. Is it Doable ??

Under Alarm Setting I can only see Smoke alarm and CO alarm.
Installed firmware version: 4.9.3.64

The app has been updated to 2.0 recently, so some places you find things are a bit different. What was called “alerts” are now called “events”.

The 12 second event clips (stored in the cloud) are independent from SD card recording (in either event only or continuous mode).

If you turn off Detects Motion and Detects Sound in Event Recording and turn off Smoke Alarm and CO Alarm in Alarms Settings, then you will have no video sent to the cloud.

The above does not prevent you from using the Record Events Only mode for SD card recording found under Advanced Settings > Local Storage. In this case, the motion detected video will only be stored locally on the SD card. Every one-minute segment from mm:00 to mm:59 that contains any detected motion will be retained on the card, other 1 minute segments will be discarded.

Thanks for the info. Okay so motion is considered as an event to record on SD card but not audio ? Or its both ?
When I turn off all events motion and audio, i shall not expect any notification as well, even though I have local recording set to event based with global notification and send push notification enabled, right ?

The only trigger for non-continuous SD card recording is motion (not sound).

Correct, only Motion/Sound/Smoke/CO events will trigger a push notification. SD card motion detected does not generate a push notification (ever).

Here are a couple of related Roadmap topics that you may want to vote for. You must click the VOTE button at the top for your vote to count:

2 Likes

So just to fully clarify because I have read several different comments in the forums and in reviews…
If I turn off the “alerts” or “events”, absolutely nothing will go to the cloud for storage, however I can still record on the SD card and will only be visible to me on the app or by downloading the content on the SD card.
Correct?

If you have cloud event recording turned off, and no sensor triggers a recording using that camera, then no clips will go to the cloud.

If you are concerned about cloud clips, are you also concerned that you can access the live feed and SD card from anywhere in the world?

I would have to do a little test to be sure, but I’m pretty sure you will still get event only SD card recording even if motion detection is turned off in the Event Recording area of the app.

"
If you are concerned about cloud clips, are you also concerned that you can access the live feed and SD card from anywhere in the world?"

And just how is that possible? Are you referring to the app on the phone?

My concern is sitting in my own home and having it inadvertently record me or my family and uploading it to the cloud. At least with the SD card it is in my possession to do what I need to with it.

Surely. If you log on from anywhere in the world, you can access your live feed and SD card. There is no difference between that and the cloud clips. Both need your ID.

Depends on who’s being hacked I guess. I understand software, the cloud and security, so just asking the question, no need to be snipping. :slight_smile:

Not snipping, just confused on your priorities. No difference in my mind.

I think I do understand your concern… if your account credentials are hacked, then the bad guy has access to your cloud videos and your card videos. But if the server where the cloud videos are stored gets hacked, then that could potentially expose those videos even though your SD card videos are still secure. Is that basically what you’re saying?

The cloud videos are end-to-end encrypted, so even if the server gets hacked and a bad guy gets hold of the files, they should not be able to decrypt and view them. I think that’s why we aren’t as concerned about that scenario.

3 Likes

Guess I’m a bit more leery of what “the bad guys” can do. No one thought Experian would get hacked either.
The more I know, the more I can protect myself.
Thanks for the input.

1 Like

Just to close the loop on this… I did the test. With Event Recording turned OFF (both Detects Motion and Detects Sound), you do in fact still get recording to the SD card in Event Only mode. You do not get any notifications of those recordings though.

Maybe I misunderstood this topic but it does not work for me. I turned off the event recording and nothing gets recorded locally. Did I miss anything?

just curious, what are people recording that makes them so concerned about security? Mine are set up to monitor the front door, driveway, etc, and I couldn’t care less if anyone saw the recorded video,

Hi Fabs, welcome to the forum!!!

If you have turned off “event recording” in the main device settings page for the camera in question, you will need to click on “advanced settings”, then “local storage” - you will then need to toggle on “local recording to micro sd card”, and choose either “recording events only” or “continuous recording”.

This is assuming you have an sd card in the camera, and that it is either a Wyze card - or an endurance model… other types of cards can create some issues. (personally i use a 128 Samsung endurance card and have not had any issues so far"

As a side note, events recording locally to the sd card will create 1 min clips as opposed to 12 sec, and there will be no cool down period between events.

Hope this helps :upside_down_face:

Hi Podgedog,
I also am not concerned, however my day to day may be boring compared to others…and if they are that concerned, I probably don’t want to know what they are recording :crazy_face:

Joking aside, these are intended for indoor use, so I would assume many are focused inside of peoples homes - where they are not only showing video of their families, but also audio of their private conversations and the like.