Can Wyze take accountability for extremely delayed notifications?

Forget Google. Their own Gmail has similar issues. Who they really should contact are the developers of FaceBook android apps… Like their messenger app. Never fails to push a notification on a locked/dozed android phone. Whatever they’re doing on their app, is what Wyze needs to do.

Something tells me though, that it would require them building the app from the ground up, like from scratch. It’s the only explanation I can think of (besides the who cares theory) why they haven’t been able to fix this yet… That it would be a much larger undertaking than just a patch.

Good points. I thought that somebody said delayed notifications weren’t a problem in an earlier firmware (not app) version, though I could be mistaken. If it’s true that this is a new(ish) issue, then it might be easier to debug. But I’m just speculating.

I think that the older firmware just happened to coincide with pre Android 10 versions. This has been a problem since Android 10, a fundamental change in the way Android manages system resources to limit unnecessary battery consumption happened in Android 10 and above versions.
Most other companies read the “white papers” on the change and adapted their software accordingly or by setting the necessary flags in the system provided to control these new options during the installation process to avoid any problems (Gmail failed to set the appropriate flags during installation, the problem has been fixed I believe)
Either way, what has been said is true, Wyze developers need to look at how other companies are getting messages delivered and fix this problem.
Just my 5c :grin:

I’m almost certain that I was experiencing the same issue before android 10… Because I remember hoping that 10 would solve it…Am I just remembering wrong?

That’s very helpful. Thanks for the clarification.

Frankly, I can’t remember!

It isn’t an issue with Android 10 the notification problem goes back to September 2018 Android 8

3 Likes

That’s what I thought, long before 10. Which backs up my feeling that this isn’t getting any real attention from them… They’ve said don’t worry, we’ll fix this, at sporadic intervals for ages… Yet here we are., And it’s still being swept under the rug while they continue to develope new products and ignore the biggest flaw their android app could have., Timely and working notifications.

1 Like

All I know for sure is that the notifications were always slow, 5 to 30 second delays, at least that was my experience through Android 8 and 9.
However after Android 10, the notifications just stopped coming through, or rather, after up to an hour late, but they would all come through together, like they were being held in a que and all poured in once the phone woke up to check for messages or you woke it up manually.
It definitely got worse after android 10.
You can turn off system idle via ADB, then you get the notifications right away, but you have to re-do it every time you restart your phone, a real pita…
Wyze needs to fix it… Or hire better android developers.

They also have a Internet reconnecting problem that none of my other smart device brands have.
If my isp drops internet connection for a minute or longer, all my Wyze equipment loses internet connection along with everything else, but when internet service is restored, they never reconnect and need to be power cycled to get them to reconnect.
None of my other smart devices have this problem.
So I’ve had to resort to using smart plugs for the cameras so I can power cycle them remotely whenever this happens.

I’m all in agreement with that

in the other thread I linked, I posted my test results. The notification delay does not appear to affect the lock notifications & doorbell notifications, so hopefully the code for those notifications can be updated for all the other devices.

1 Like

That’s useful and encouraging, particularly given that I pre-ordered the Wyze Video Doorbell.

1 Like

Indeed, that is encouraging. I just updated my Cam Plus to an annual sub for two cams, and also put some coin into the person detection for the rest, so I’m paying :slight_smile: Just need this “little” issue resolved, and it’s a good set-up. :pray: :pray: :pray:

Folks here on this thread. Please ask about a solution for our problem discussed here on their upcoming live Q&A Oct 29th at noon PST. You need to pre submit questions for it, so get in.
The cam V3 looks great, already pre-ordered a couple, but we still have a big issue on android as we know all too well.

Good idea. People can find the link to submit questions via the event post on Wyze’s Facebook page.

1 Like

My notifications delays have gotten so bad. The last one took 15 minutes to come through. It is usually 5-15 Minutes. Android 10 as well but always delayed just shorter it seemed.

RE: Delayed or No Notification:
First time on this forum here.
I currently use the following security cameras: Samsung SmartCam, Wyze Cam Ver.II, Arlo, Ring Indoor, and Blink XT2. Of these, Arlo, Blink, and Ring will send me immediate notifications even when my S10 (Android 10) has been idle for a while, and I presume in Doze mode. The Samsung cams, which I’ve had for several years would send immediate notifications on my old Galaxy 6 and 8, but suddenly that stopped after an Android update on the S8. When I acquired the Wyze Cam, I had high hopes that its app could break Doze on my S8, but alas, that was not the case (which is why I only purchased two). After hearing that the apps for Arlo, Blink, and Ring had no problem with Doze, I purchased these brands and have been utilizing them as my primary security cams for various properties.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I seemed to have solved my Wyze notification issue with a work-around utilizing IFTTT and Pushover apps. Applets created in IFTTT integrate with Pushover and will activate Pushover alerts that break through Doze on my phone. For example, one of my applets is as follows:

“If motion is detected in (Wyze camera location), then send a Pushover notification.”

The notifications are immediate, and have added value to my Wyze cams as security instruments. The biggest downsides are that both apps require either a one time payment (Pushover) or a subscription (IFTTT). I believe a subscription to IFTTT is not required if you only create three applets.

If it were not for the notification issue, I would definitely rate the Wyze Cam as the best security camera of the ones I currently own. Unlike Ring and Blink, Wyze will detect sound and also smoke and CO detector signals. (Ring can detect smoke/CO alarms also, but it requires the purchase of a listening device or a Z-Wave Smoke/CO detector which integrates with Ring.)

The work-around above will hopefully help many frustrated Android users. Better yet is for the good folks at Wyze to address to Android notification issue. If Ring, Blink, and Arlo could do it, I’m sure you can too.

1 Like

That’s an interesting workaround to the Wyze delayed notification problem. Thanks for the information. I’m still hoping for a real solution from Wyze. If one doesn’t come fairly soon then I’ll move on.

2 Likes

So, the question/response during the panel of notification speed improving seemed very general, and didn’t address the ongoing issue for the WYZE app not being able to push through the doze on a locked android phone. Unless I missed it being discussed, that’s THE key issue for a lot of customers now for a very long time. It’s not so much a matter of notification speed , as it is a matter of notifications on a locked android phone basically not working…

But very impressive panel and product lines. A lot of exciting new stuff coming up!

1 Like