Can the wyzecam outdoor record continuously if it's plug in?

Yeah, obviously some users want the ability to record continuously and we all wonder if when plug in can it record continuously like the wyzecam v2?

7 Likes

unfortunately, no

2 Likes

@ 6:43

3 Likes

That’s truly unfortunate. But perhaps you can “hack” it to force it to record continuously? Perhaps if you place some sort of infrared LED in front of the camera you may trick the PIR sensor to record indefinitely? Would this work?

It is super surprising that this thing cannot continuously record and/or run from power instead of the battery. I think most of us were looking for an outdoor camera that is always on and waterproof, not portable for trips, vacations, and spotting wildlife. I’m assuming that the camera isn’t waterproof if plugged in and that is what caused them to not have this feature? My first camera is going to be 20ft up on a telephone pole, so I might try this:

1. Mount 20 feet up on pole
  2. Plug 20ft long micro usb cable into camera and silicone port section to make it watertight again
  3. Run 20ft cable down to a power source
  4. Use a smart usb plug that allows for me to turn it on and off. This would allow me to have it run on battery for a week and then turn on the plug to allow it to charge back up.

I know that this will void warranty because the camera will not be airtight, but I think with my silicone job, it will be fun to test out in this configuration.

15 Likes

They recommend not using it while plugged in

1 Like

I think this is an exciting product and props to Wyze for making it. But one last comment is that I think this should have been called the Wyze Outdoor Battery camera. My hopes are still that Wyze uses this research and tech to make a Wyze Outdoor Wired camera. Without that as a complement to their new outdoor offering, this release almost solidifies the universal logic out there in the community that Wyze is not meant for security.

9 Likes

Guess I won’t be buying any…

3 Likes

…sooo, I’ll address the elephant in the room. What stops anyone from walking up and just taking it from the magnet… Really?

2 Likes

Nothing, there are mounting screw holes, 1/4-20, so one could screw it into something (or mount it high enough that it is not an easy target) …however a good tug and it would be gone. This is inherent in any outdoor cam…to help with this they have added 2 security features, one is that the cam can not be activated on another account unless it is released from the current account…and 2 is the SD card built into the base station, so at least if the camera is gone the video of who did it is available.

Also, welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had already ordered before I saw this stupid limitation and you can’t currently cancel an order they say.

They don’t start shipping until August my order says,

6 Likes

I still enjoy my V2 with the Amazon Birdhouse that keeps it covered and weatherproof while being plugged in. I am really excited about the camera and I think its a great start. I’d rather have this right now vs a wired option, but would like something to keep continuous down the road. The foundation is there and its very exciting.

2 Likes

Its a pre order to be an early backer…they wont ship for a bit, if you email Wyze and ask them to cancel your order number they will take care of it.

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/categories/360003105451-Orders

3 Likes

I was planning on leaving it plugged in I’m not dealing with battery operated devices anymore I hope I can cancel my order If I have to I’ll cancel my credit card and they won’t be able to bill it But if I can’t leave it plugged in so I don’t have to recharge the battery I’m not buying it

I had a ring video doorbell that was battery powered and that thing sucked… You have to charge the thing every month or so and I’m not going to climb up on a ladder every time I have to charge a damn battery this is insane that you can’t leave them powered very disappointed

I better be able to cancel that order

6 Likes

There is this little FAQ about cancelling orders right now which involves receiving it and returning it. Which is an odd way of having you cancel your order. I hope they make an exception for preorders due to the glaring limitation of the outdoor cam. I myself was too eager and preordered already. I have always been extremely happy with Wyze products before. I never would have imagined you couldn’t have continuous power to the outdoor cam:
https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032421071-How-do-I-modify-or-cancel-my-order-

2 Likes

I think you would drain the battery to make it more of an annoyance than a useful tool.

1 Like

What about an add on Solar Panel to keep the battery charged? Is there a slot for an SD card?

3 Likes

As noted in the above video, you can set it to record continuously (or motion only) for up to 30 days via “Scheduled Recording”

it wouldn’t even need a good tug, the base is what’s mounted, the WCO itself is attached to the base via magnet. My solution would be to keep it out of easy reach :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is SD slot on cam and on base station to back up recordings in case cam is lost…solar panel is listed as a possible future item.

1 Like

u can add a solar panel via the microSD, and yes, both the cam & base station has a sd slot

2 Likes