Can’t take photos with one camera, but it takes videos

The Back Door Camera won’t take pictures. But all 3 of the others will. I have a video but it won’t let me upload attachment

1 Like

Welcome! What does the camera/app say when you try and take a photo?

New forum users have some restrictions. A mod may be able to up your trust level if they get to it before the forum software does it.

1 Like

It says operation failed. But works fine on my other 3. Also it records video fine. Just won’t take pictures

1 Like

For what it’s worth I get the same message from one of my cameras. Every once and awhile it will take a picture but most of the time it fails. My other cameras all take pictures just fine. All cameras have 32 gb SD cards, all are set to record continuously all have @ the same amount of free space on the card.

I have also formatted and replaced the card with no change.

1 Like

You guys are talking about the “take photo” button on the live view screen right? That’s saves it to your device.

What other option is there, other than “take photo”?
(let’s not assume the OP is referring to snapping a screenshot).

Yes that’s the function I am referring to.

Yes that’s the correct button. Every camera I have takes videos and photos except for one it will only take video but no photos

The upload video issue might be due to your Forum ’ Trust Level’. I’ll tag @moderators - they can check.
The not taking a photo sounds like an intermittent connection issue, What is the signal strength of your cam compared to your others?
(Settings/ Device Info/ Wifi Signal Strength)

1 Like

Thanks for the tag, @tomp. I have increased your trust level, @sammyb. You should be able to post that video now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I doubt it has anything to do with the signal strength. In my case the camera has a very strong connection, 98% to 100% and streams at HD quality with no dropouts or buffering. The SD card is fine, tried several different ones. Formatted them, turned SD recording off, on continuous, or on events only. 39 out of 40 attempts to take a picture result in “Operation Failed” messages. The 40th try will work. Then all of a sudden it will work fine for a day or two and then back to not working. Has happened to a couple of V2’s and my Pan.

1 Like

HE cards??

I bought 2 of these just to try. Had the same behavior as with the regular cards. One is still in the Pan camera.

Samsung PRO Endurance 32GB 100MB/s (U1) MicroSDXC Memory Card with Adapter (MB-MJ32GA/AM) Amazon.com

1 Like

I use this format utility and/or the onboard utility. Have tried both. Also if I move the cards to other cameras they work just fine. Pretty sure it’s not the cards. It’s a puzzler.

1 Like

Well, I’m out of bullets, Lone Ranger. I guess this is where I recommend Tech Support, but you know that drill better than I do.
Wait! One more thought. I’m having trouble with one I’ve taken apart and played with the lens on. It keeps randomly flip/flopping the IR filter back and forth, sometimes only part of the way. Does being in either mode affect the ability to take a photo?
//Edit: On mine it does. Will not take a photo while in day or auto but will in night mode

To be honest I am not sure. Most of the time when I am trying to take a picture I think it’s at night. That particular camera has night vision set to auto but the IR lights turned off. I use an external emitter. Have to try.

1 Like

That gives me an idea on mine. I think I’ll take it outside where I have external IR lights and try it. So far I’ve just used it indoors. I’m still thinking it something in the little solenoid that actually moves the filter back and forth. Like maybe it’s just crapped out!

1 Like

Man- this just gets weirder. Amazon just delivered a brand new shiny cam and HE card. I installed it, Sans the Sandisk (ouch). While I was formatting the card ( same program you said you use, BTW), I tried taking photos. It would not take a photo except on night vision. When the card finished formatting I installed it and tried again. Now, with no other changes, reboots, etc it is taking photos just fine. :exploding_head::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

It seems to be intermittent on my end. I think I only saw it on the one camera because that was the only one I normally used the function on.

But yesterday I hit all 10 cameras about once an hour to try. I had about 50% success rate. Every single camera failed at least once during the day, and every camera worked at least once. I can’t seem to find a common cause. Frustrating!

The ones of mine that I’ve tried this morning are all working fine, pans and V2. Tried each one switching modes several times around and all worked.
I’m going to flag this thread and see if they will kick it to a Wyze Guru. . I think a tech support ticket will just be viewed as an individual situation and this obviously isn’t.

1 Like