Can somebody explain the room sensors

Can somebody explain how the room sensors work if the HVAC system isn’t zoned? How can it send cooler air to one room, or more air to a room? Wouldn’t there need to be something in the ducting or air handler that controls the flow or temperature? I don’t understand how it can be done electronically when everything is coming from one place.

1 Like

It doesn’t send different temperatures to different rooms in the way you are thinking.

What it is saying it does, is if you have a preferred temperature for where you currently are, then it will cater your temperature preferences toward comfort for where you currently are. So if you prefer 72 degrees as your main comfort temp, then when you are in the family room, the thermostat will turn on the Heat or AC until the family room reaches your preferred temperature. Other places in the house may be warmer or cooler because you don’t have a zoned HVAC or automated venting, etc…but it will try to make you comfortable in the area you are currently occupying. Then instead of having to manually turn the the heater or AC up or down so you are comfortable in the Family Room, the Thermostat will adjust the whole house for you so that you are comfortable in the area you are currently occupying. If you then move to your bedroom to go to bed, then the focus goes toward making you comfortable in there instead (at the potential expense of other areas of the house being warmer or cooler since you aren’t in those places right now, and you just want comfort where you currently are). If there are multiple people in different rooms at the same time, then it can do an average…it will see which rooms have people in them and get the average of those rooms (and the Thermostat room) to average out to your preferred temperature.

It doesn’t balance the ENTIRE house, it just places focus for the preferred temperature in whatever area you are currently occupying. It will always average the sensor temperature with the Thermostat temperature though. It will not base everything solely off a single sensor, but up to 6 sensors plus the thermostat can be used toward this. For those who want the maximum comfort with a single zone HVAC system, this helps to cater the temperature to be comfortable for the room you are currently occupying (other rooms in the house may go up or down more and be less comfortable, but the idea is that you won’t currently be using those rooms, so the longer you stay in a room, the more it will cater the temperature toward where you are at the moment).

For those who want maximum savings instead of maximum comfort, you can just the TStat by itself without sensors and use schedules, and maybe a space heater or space AC for different rooms that have extremes one way or another compared to the rest of the house. Something like that.

7 Likes

In reality, if these sensors are trying to cater to a room that colder or hotter, the end result will be a longer run time to get to said temp desired! Therefore you will be wasting energy. You must have a zoned system for them to be of any savings, and I doubt today’s systems will be compatible with wyze.

1 Like

Great detail @carverofchoice! Thanks for being so thorough!

1 Like

Thank you for the explanation!

So, say you have your thermostat in a common area (hallway) and you have sensors in the bedrooms.

1 - when you go to your bedroom and sleep, how does it know you’re still there if you stop moving for a while? Will it ignore your room until you move in your sleep?

2 - Can the temperature sensor detect presence even if there’s only a baby in the room? Or is it optimized for average size adults only?

3 - Is there a way to disable the motion sensing of the thermostat so that only the temperature sensor motion is taken into account? Like, maybe physically covering the wyze thermostat with some material?

4 - You mention though that it always averages with the thermostat thermometer and that’s an issue if you need to ignore the temperature in the hallway. Would there be an option in the app to offset the thermostat temperature sensor only, while keeping the other sensors without an offset?

Thank you!

1 Like

If you have the sensor:

• Included full time (Motion Sensing Comfort Off \ Included in Comfort Control) it will average 24\7.
  • Excluded full time (Motion Sensing Comfort Off \ Not Included in Comfort Control) it will not average.
  • Included w\ Motion Sensing (Motion Sensing Comfort On \ Included in Comfort Control) it will average only when it detects motion during the Thermostat states designated in the Remote Sensor Settings (Home\Sleep).

When the sensor stops sensing motion, it stops averaging after about 30 min until it senses motion again and then starts averaging again.

I have not tested the sensitivity of the PIR to determine how large the IR signature needs to be to switch it into averaging.

I believe the motion sensing behavior on the thermostat is only used to activate the display. I don’t think it is used at all in the measurement of the temp or the calls for heat\cold. The thermostat is on duty full time regardless of motion. With that being said, there is no way to remove the thermostat temp sensor from the averaging. It is always included as the central sensor in averaging because it is the calculator with the code to do the math. The Remote Sensor cannot be the only temp reading. It must operate with the thermostat temp reading.

That is a really great question! Yes.

The thermostat does have a temp correction for it’s sensor within the Advanced menu. I tested changing this setting in the thermostat with my Remote Sensor included full time and the average changed:

Original Setting: temp correction -1, Thermostat 66, Remote Sensor 66. Average 66

New Setting: temp correction -10, Thermostat 57, Remote Sensor 66, Average 62 (called for heat).

I then removed the sensor from averaging (not included) and the thermostat reverted from the “Home” averaging indicator back to the “Wyze Thermostat” not averaging indicator and the app showed the temp as 57 (thermostat only corrected temp).

The Temp Correction acts only on the Thermostat and not the Remote Sensor and will then average the two using the corrected thermostat temp and the real Remote Sensor temp. There is no temp correction for the Remote Sensor.

1 Like

How do I change the designated Home/Sleep states in Remote Sensor Settings? Can’t find.

Thx!

Open the Thermostat.
Open the Remote Sensor Setup.

Click on Edit.

Click Home or Sleep to highlight (on) or grey (off).

Click on Done.

1 Like

Ha! Voilà! I’m usually pretty good at deciphering the no user manual gadget, but this one eluded me. Thanks!!

1 Like