Can I pay for a better cloud service?

It is motion triggered. If it detects motion within a 1 minute block of time the whole minute is saved. What I don’t like is if the motion happens at xx:xx:58 and there isn’t quite enough motion in the next minute to save that minute, Record on Event is pretty much useless. I would like to see something like 6 minutes of recording, 3 minutes before and 3 minutes after and tried to communicate that to the WYZE folks but no one seems to understand. If the trigger matches the 12 second Event Alert, you only get an additional 48 seconds of recording.

I bought the SD card to have more recording ability but as it’s set up now WYZE is limiting my usage. 1 minute with no detection or sensitivity controls or Continuous Recording.

1 Like

Actually, in your scenario, the entire event would be recorded on the 12 second Event video and the one minute video. Why record the second minute if there is no movement?

Because there is movement outside the detection zone not being detected.

Imagine this. You are focused 100% sensitivity on a smaller detection zone like your front door. Activity at xx:xx:58, you get 12 seconds of Event Alert recording. You get the minute leading up to the activity in Record on Event. The second minute would record any other activity happening outside the detection zone but it’s not there.

I’ve seen cases exactly like this. What color was the car down the steet that dropped off the person that showed up at your front door? In Record on Event, you will never know.

Don’t forget there is the 5 min cool down time on the 12 sec clips. That’s one big reason to have at least 5 minutes of recording in Record on Event The best would be 5 minutes before the detection and 5 minutes after the detection. SD card memory is cheap so why not use it?

I seriously don’t get the extreme limits on Record on Event?

1 Like

I think you can always create a scenario where you need that extra minute or two or three outside of what you are recording. Which leads to continuous recording. As you said, memory is cheap, so get a bigger card.

You could also put in a #roadmap for a variable window for event driven SD videos.

You might also look at this #roadmap:

Use SD cards, it gives you the results of long term cloud without the expense. Make sure you use a decent card though. We have about twenty cameras deployed and a certain brand that sells 5 packs cheap on Amazon has caused various problems in both our pan and regular cameras about half the time despite meeting Wyze specs. In fact every issue we have had with the cameras except one was caused by a bad card, The other was solved by an update.

This would be a good option for some, but not for me. What would be great for me is if we had the option to upload recordings to a cloud service that we already pay for. Between DropBox, OneDrive, Sugarsync, Amazon Drive, etc., I have got more cloud storage space than I know what to do with. I just want my cameras (which are all connected to the internet via wifi) to upload recordings to the location I specify. That way if someone steals a camera, at least I can access the video evidence!

Hi, I agree with the OP. I need a better cloud service and willing to pay for it.

SD cards won’t help if the theif steals the camera. Id like events uploaded for a longer duration.

Thanks

Of course that is great - BUT that involves writing NEW software, and the entire baggage that comes with it. Whereas their own cloud service is already working very nicely but LIMITED by POLICY, not software. They simply need to take away the restrictions and we can utilize the service in a normal fashion immediately.

It was mentioned above, but I’ll repeat it here. You can vote for Wyze to implement additional paid cloud storage here:

Here is how I resolved the problem with the 12-second clips.

First, go to “events” on the WYZE app. Find the clip that has the incident (you can narrow your search by selecting the filter which can be accessed by taping the 3 dots on the upper right-hand corner of the “events” screen - which is where you will find all your cameras. Tap the “filter” menu choice and picking the camera you want). Review the clips until you find the suspected clip. Make a note of the date and time of that clip. Go back to the “home” on the app and select the camera in question. Tap the “View Playback” button at the bottom. Scroll to the hour that you made note of earlier. Use two fingers to spread the time slot so that you can zoom in on the minutes. Review what you see, If that has the incident, then replay from a minute or two prior to when the incident started and tap the “record” icon on the app to start recording the incident that is on the SD card. Tap the “record” button again when you want to stop the recording. The file is automatically saved to your videos album on your device. By following this method, you do not need to pull out the SD card at all. Just be aware that the audio is out of sync on the saved video in your iPhone/iPad. I am not sure why this happens, but it does. Maybe this can be a topic for another post.

With this method, I do not see any reason for WYZE to make changes to the current cloud service.

1 Like

You nailed it! THERE IS NO CLIP WITH THE INCIDENT! Because the incident happened in the 5-minute ‘cool down’ period.
Also, even when/if the incident was captured, just reading the instructions you laid out just to get to an incident (including watching for a few minutes - per incident), actually proves my point! Most people will not go thru that just to get to an incident. For a few bucks more there should be cameras that can do it.
Point is WYZE can do it! They did it. Just lift the restrictive 5 minute period. People will pay for that.
-nat

@jonchalk.88

Assuming the video is there in the Playback. WYZE has to make the Settings for the 12sec Alerts and the SD card Recored on Event THE SAME.

But the five minute refactory period between recordable events makes us miss events that should have been recorded. And 10 to 14 secs is ridiculously short when an event can be recorded.

This Jump from motion detection notification to its recorded video location would make it even easier and solve the need for cloud recording to an extent.

I’m not happy about the five minute cool-down and offered a compromise. I respectfully disagree about the 10-14 seconds of Event video being too short. That’s just a preview of that history and the cameras are designed to record history (continuous or Event only) to the SD card where you can watch as much as you want. I think what is really needed is what Paulo said above, the ability to go directly from an Event notice to that point in Playback from the SD card. This should solve your desire to see the entire event.

Now, if people want to pay for cloud service vs. the SD card, fine with me as long as I don’t have to wait longer to get my Events ( longer videos mean longer wait) or that I’m forced into paying for cloud storage where who know who has access to those videos.

So you’re happy with a five minute gap between “previews” where and when all kinds of thing can be ongoing, like a grab and go robbery, that will not be previewed because it happened entirely withing that five minutes?

Also, like I believe another person indicated, my cameras are located where getting the SD card out would be problematic. And although the “cloud” sounds benign and neutral it isn’t. It’s a set of servers belonging to someone who has access to them. Not sure I want to share my videos with some unknown person.

*S. Duane Stratton *

OverWatch

February 12

sdstrat:
But the five minute refactory period between recordable events makes us miss events that should have been recorded. And 10 to 14 secs is ridiculously short when an event can be recorded.

I’m not happy about the five minute cool-down and offered a compromise. I respectfully disagree about the 10-14 seconds of Event video being too short. That’s just a preview of that history and the cameras are designed to record history (continuous or Event only) to the SD card where you can watch as much as you want. I think what is really needed is what Paulo said above, the ability to go directly from an Event notice to that point in Playback from the SD card. This should solve your desire to see the entire event.

Now, if people want to pay for cloud service vs. the SD card, fine with me as long as I don’t have to wait longer to get my Events ( longer videos mean longer wait) or that I’m forced into paying for cloud storage where who know who has access to those videos.

I’m going to take a moment to step in here. OverWatch has been vocally against the 5 minute cooldown since they started posting in the forums. We’ve had many discussions about it including where OverWatch brought up potential alternatives to help alleviate both the necessity and the frustration of the cooldown period. You two are in agreement on this although your priorities are slightly different.

Speaking for Wyze, I know that this is something that we’ve been looking into but I don’t have further information at this time.

6 Likes

You can try subscription based tinyCam Cloud https://cloud.tinycammonitor.com/ which fully supports Wyze Cams. 4$ per month per camera. It makes 24/7 video recording into the cloud. No missed events ever.

3 Likes

One system option that I’d find useful is a choice between 12 second clips saved for 2 weeks and 24 second clips saved for 1 week. Possibly an easy/low cost addition???

1 Like

I had an event triggered by sound. I am trying to track coyote activity in our area for the protection of our goats, so I went to my SD card to see if they were close to my goat pens. For me to access the playback, I must go back and forth between the Live and Playback options multiple times to get the green recording segments to show. I finally got it to show and discovered that unfortunately, there was no recording on the card for almost 8 hours! I’ve only checked the playback a few times, but have not seen this happen before. It’s a Wyze SD card, so I know it’s not a question of the card’s quality. I didn’t realize the recording on the card is only MOTION triggered, thought sound would trigger a recording as well. (Or am I misunderstanding?) For this reason, I would appreciate the ability to record to the cloud either continuously or for longer periods for Record on Event.