Cameras won't connect after firmware update

The title says it. I’ve done all the usual trouble shooting.

3 Likes

Same here. Just spent 130 bucks on an Echo Spot and 25 more on this camera so I could use it at a baby monitor and the camera works fine in the app but not on the Spot. Not sure if I should return the camera or the Spot or both…

2 Likes

Have both of you submitted a support ticket yet?

Yes I have. I put it in the ticket the same time I replied to the post.

I’d give it just a little bit of time. Let them try to fix it first. :smile:

I am just confirming the same problem. I updated one of my Wyze v2 cameras to the latest firmware last night (Tuesday, March 5, 2019) and it would not reconnect to the WiFi. I resolved the problem by removing the SD card, holding in the setup button for 10 seconds to reset the camera, and then reconfiguring it like it was a new camera.

I have four other Wyze cameras, but I will not attempt to update them until this problem is resolved.

1 Like

Sorry to hear the trouble you are facing. Thanks for the info and I’ll hold off my update since my two Wyze cameras are working fine for now. I’m always afraid of upgrading any working devices as I’m not sure how much testing has been done prior to release the updates.

1 Like

I have the same problems been resetting my wyzecam for a few days now I’ve followed the technician instructions but still not connecting. It keeps saying (wyzecamv2) “the specified network name can not find.

What should we do? I’m still resetting till now like new cam but still not working. I deleted the app, download again, reset the wifi, forget the wifi, reset again, still no luck.

I find closer too the router it will connect. But if I put it back to where I’ve been using it, it won’t connect. The same is true for both of my cameras.

I’ve had this same issue after originally successfullly adding the v2 cam to app. ,
I was able to resolve it by flashing an older version of the firmware (4.9.3.64).

Once flashed, I was able to scan / find network / add to app.
Once added it prompted to update the firmware.(4.9.4.37)

Much Faster than an RMA…

Same Situation here. Upgraded my V2s to the latest firmware ( v4.9.4.108), and lost connectivity with the cameras. Manually copying over an older firmware version (v4.9.4.37) to the SD Cards and holding down the reset button for a few seconds while plugging them in resolved the issue.

It’s probably wise to skip the upgrade to 4.9.4.108, and instead wait till the next version.

Updated to Person Detection firmware and updated app. Worked great first 8 hours or so and now Cams (V2) won’t connect. Very dissapointing. Wyze you sounded great, but I guess this is a “get what you pay for” situation. If you can’t get basic connection and simple live view it’s not worth $5.00 And yes I did all the resets, power cycles, etc. And to reiterate, Cams worked pre firmware / app update and then only worked for about 8 hrs post update (no other changes). Too bad, was promising endeavor

Welcome to the community, @JGvegas. If your cameras weren’t going work due to the update, you most likely would have seen issues immediately. With that said, are you trying to connect over your WiFi, or outside your local network (work network, cell network, etc.)? Are you using a VPN on your phone? The reason I ask this is the error code you put in your other post indicates the app can’t setup a connection. It’s important you provide as many details as you can for the community to assist you. Please see this support article for the error codes.

Sorry for double post, one looked a bit older than the other so I took the chance of posting in both as both are relevant. I also understand the need to cover basics when trying to diagnose, but please show mutual respect. I agree “most likely” would not have worked immediately, but that was not the case. Now let me throw some questions at you. Why would the camera properly send motion detection alerts and post the clips but not connect live view? Usage has all been on home network via wifi connection android phone, no VPN. And too me the bigger question is what changed other than the obvious new firmware and updated app. Wyze would not be the first company to have a problem with a release (only considering possibilites, like you with your VPN question).

Livestreaming through the app uses different communication channels than the event notifications sent by the cameras. This means we need to focus on why the app on your phone is not setting up the initial connection with the camera for the live stream. Just out of curiousity, have you tried all of the troubleshooting steps on that page where the error codes were listed? It may be very helpful to Wyze for you to submit feedback with logs via the app. I would also recommend running the RouteThis Helps app mentioned on that page and attach the code created with the support request. As far as I know, you are the only one at this time reporting this as an issue. I’m not saying others are not experiencing it, just that I haven’t been seeing a wide-spread problem as of yet.

BTW, I’m not a Wyze employee. I’m just a user like you who volunteers to help out on the forum. :slight_smile:

I appreciate you reaching out. Yes I did contact support and sent them a log per the instructions.

I have been able to get Live View working again by

1. Turning off power to cameras (unplug)

2. Turning off my phone

3. Turning off router (unplug)

4. Turning router back on after 2 minutes

5. Turning cameras power back on

6. Turning phone back on

Live View now steady again. I have selected Person Detection again and hopefully things will remain stable.

The only two things I can think of that caused the problem;

1. Doesn’t make sense but the only thing I changed in the app was the 360 to HD setting prior to Live View all of sudden not working anymore

2. Perhaps there is something going on in the background with the Person Detection AI, because it worked for hours then all of a sudden Live View wouldn’t connect.

The power off / on of multiple devices would be very problematic for the typical consumer. So as Wyze tries to be widely accepted with the average consumer perhaps there can be a better, user friendly system reset “button” in the app if that is technically feasible.

Also if you have to unplug cameras to reset the system becomes useless when remote from the location of the cameras. I did read a suggestion on some sites that said get a wifi plug so in case you have to reset from remote you would have a fighting chance, but that certainly becomes a pain

Curious if the tech sees anything from the log

Computer Guy here, wow, these are hard to connect. Been trying everything with my router…too bad this is not smoother. Read all the tips for ASUS router. After about 25 tries, about to give up. I have no clue what firmware is on the camera, just got it, has never connected.

By the way Person Detection works great for my use case which I think might be common situation. Camera pointing out front door (sitting inside side light window). Motion detection kept sending notifications when a car would pass by. I shrank down the detection zone which helped eliminate car passing notifications, but the Person Detection is much more desirable. Now I don’t get bothered by “car passing” notifictions, just people which is what I want! And of course Wyze was smart enough to allow both options.

Also by the way my initial connection setup went very smoothly. It was just a pain to reset when something went wrong for me. Fingers crossed things stay stable

Glad to hear Wyze support was able to help you resolve this! :slight_smile: