Camera V3 vs Outdoor - wired vs battery

Hello, I am new to the forum. I’m trying to decide whether to get the Outdoor camera or the V3 as an outdoor camera. I’ve read that the V3 is a better camera but I’m not sure if I want to drill holes in my house to run the wires for it. Would the Outdoor model be “good enough” as it runs on batteries and can be mounted anywhere.
Thanks
Jim

I wondered the same thing, but then decided to go with the V3 and mount them on the windows inside the house. They have mounts that attach directly to the glass or you could use the mounts they come with and attach to the window frame.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums! It depends on what type of detection system and capabilities of the camera that you’re looking for.

The V3 and the WCO each have a different detection system. The V3 detects motion as pixel change within the view of the camera. Any light changes dark changes color changes are all detected as motion. Whereas the WCO has a PIR detector which detects infrared. This detection system is similar to outdoor flood lights that turn on when animals are humans walk up to them. I have numerous V3s facing out windows, and the pixel detection system works through the window glass, whereas the PIR detection system of the WCO does not work through glass.

The V3 also has expanded recording capabilities because it is a powered camera. I like them because I can continuously record to a SD card in the camera, whereas the WCO recording to the card is limited due to trying to keep the battery usage at a minimum.

Both cameras have the capability of saving clips and uploading them to the cloud, which in turn you get notifications for. The cam plus service works on both cameras. You can live view from any camera anytime in the app (with the caveat being the more you live view the WCO the more battery usage occurs).

I guess my only wish to you is to do your due diligence to see the capabilities and features that each have, and decide which one works best in your use case. Keep in mind a V3 might be better in one spot whereas a WCO is better in a different spot. :slight_smile: This is my quick $0.02.

1 Like

Hi! Can you use the window mount with the spotlight?

Many of us have V3’s running with a USB adapter inside and the appropriate length (up to about 26 feet or so) of flat USB cord snaked through a window. My window glass frames and screens have enough “give” that the cord is not a problem.
And I’ve had V3’s outside through all kinds of Mississippi weather for about 18 months. They are pretty weatherproof.

1 Like

No, the opening on the mount is big enough for the camera, not the light. Plus the mount has a border of black which would block the light as well.

1 Like

Thank you for the responses! We’re looking for a camera (or two) to monitor our front door/porch and to monitor our driveway. I did a walk around and can’t see a good way to mount a V3 inside to look thru a window. Our windows are the double hung type and close pretty tight, so snaking a V3 cable through a window isn’t doable. So that’s why I was looking to get the “Outdoor” model.
However after reading the V3 reviews it sure seems to be a better camera/features. So I’m still looking at ways to get the cable where it would work.
Finally, is getting Cam Plus a “must do”? It sure seems a good value.
Jim

NO, the the spotlight would cause more glare than what you’re trying to get rid of by using the window mount

1 Like

Different camera but I wanted to do something similar. I bought an acrylic window shelf (made for plants so very capable of holding the weight of the PanCam I’m using) and have it mounted inside on a front window. The issue I was running into is that the camera is white and reflected a “ghost” image from the window. I got a small black foam sheet from the craft store and cut out a hole for the camera lens and sensors and mounted it to the camera face. It’s probably overkill but my son then took a small black poster board and cupped it around the shelf (attaching to the window, not the shelf) which eliminates light from the living room interfering with the camera. We leave the porch light on all night so we get a great color view of the front yard and our car.

Wyze just posted a video (10/26) on YouTube ( [Wyze Solar Panel] (How to install: Wyze Solar Panel - YouTube) ) for their upcoming solar panel for the Wyze Cam Outdoor, that is supposed to be shipping in December, 2021. Depending on how well it keeps the battery charged on the Outdoor cam, this could be a significant consideration in your choosing which camera to get. That’s one issue I’ve had with the Outdoor Cam is the need to bring it back inside every few days to charge it back up.

1 Like

The outdoor camera does not have playback capability (at least mine doesn’t). I like that it’s wireless, but it’s not as functional and I find it often takes a long time, like 10 seconds up to a minute, to “connect” so that I can see the image.

They also announced a package with their new Lamp Socket and V3 camera. We have a light over our garage door, so this is the perfect solution for me. It also will be available in December so I preordered the package for $46!
Also check out their video on it, pretty funny!

Jim

1 Like

Or if you have areas you want a V3 camera outdoors and there are no light sockets this is another method.

You could also consider using “Low Voltage Wiring” and burying the wire from an A.C. power outlet (indoors) power supply to the cameras. Then use a 12 volt to 5 volt micro-USB regulator adapter and install to camera.

The power Supply mounts indoors but the cable to camera can be longer as the 5 volts is regulated at the camera. And Voltage drop due to cable length is not an issue as the regulator will work with as low as 9 volts input.

I have ran over 180 feet of 2 conductor cable to camera with this setup, use low voltage lighting wiring it can be buried, it is weatherproof and UV resistant.

Connect the 12v to 5v micro-USB regulator adapter to cable matching polarity ( +red -black ) along cable where a camera is needed if more than 1 camera just get a 12 volt adapter with more current (Amps) The Adapter regulator is weatherproof except the micro-USB itself but the boot on the V3 takes care of that.

Links below to several power supplies, 1 Amp for 1 camera, 2 Amp for 2 cameras, or 5 amp for 5 cameras,
choose according to your needs. The cable run can have multiple connections for cameras along cable.

12 volt input to 5 volt output micro-USB cable (adapter)

12 volt power supply 1 amp with connector adapter

12 volt power supply 2 amp with connector adapter

12 volt power supply 5 amp with connector adapter

14/2 Low Voltage Landscape Wire - 100 feet

Gardner Bender 25-1W1 Watergard Weatherproof Twist-On Wire Connectors, 22-12 AWG, Small Direct-Buried

Wyze Cam power for long run

This location originally had a V2 in an enclosure, the 12v to 5v adapter has been exposed to rain, snow, and heat of summer for over 3 years. Recently replaced V2 with a V3

Below is an event captured by this camera, note I don’t use IR as I get too many flying bug triggers.

This is a link to my Overly-Engineered Wyze Cam setup…LOL
Battery Backed-Up 14 V3 cams and Internet Communications

1 Like