Camera behind mesh window screen

if I mount a Wyze behind a window screen, would it (long) focus past the screen or would I get a focus on the screen? This is just for daylight usage.

It does for me, so long as it’s straight on, and not at an angle to the screen. YMMV

The screen will be out of focus, like the above poster said, straight on is best, not an angle. To add to that, if you have to put it behind the screen, try and get it as close to the screen as you can. I know you said only for day, but if you happen to use it at night, the IR bounce back would I think be pretty narly if used.

I have a couple V2 cameras sitting in a bay window. The cameras shoot through double pane glass and outside of the glass was a screen. It was horrible. I moved the cameras to the upper part of the window that does not have a screen. Much better. Of course I have to leave the IR light off.

what is the downward field of view from straight on? I would be mounting in a 2nd floor window.

Yep, it’s best to not have anything in front of the camera lens. My association doesn’t want any outdoor cameras, well they going to have to deal with cameras in every window peering outside then. Luckyly I don’t have to many screens that would hinder camera views.

Hello fritzlangiam.
Based on a 1080P aspect ratio of 16:9, I calculate a downward angle of 38.75°. Anything downward beyond that angle would be out of view.

Best way is to setup the camera level and note what is just visible in is lower edge of field of view.

While viewing the second story image on your Wyze app, mark on the ground the lower edge of your field of view. Measure and record the horizontal distance from this mark to the face of the wall where the second story window is,

Measure and mark the vertical distance from the ground to the center of the camera lens. The assumptions in these measurements are that the vertical and horizontal dimensions are in the same units and that the horizontal and vertical are reasonably level and plumb.

Divide the vertical measurement by the horizontal one. (lets say the division resulted in 0.804)

Now ask your smart phone “what is the arctangent of 0.804 in degrees”. It should reply approximately 38.7992816 degrees.

Now most of us would dispense with the marking, measurements and math by moving and tilting the camera and see how the image affected.

I am not so sure that the camera must be aimed directly at the screen. Even when the camera is aimed directly at the screen, only the light rays emanating from the center of the field of view are square to the screen. All other light rays are passing through the screen at ever increasing oblique angles.

So, try and tilt the camera and see what the results are.
Til later.
Victor Maletic.

4 Likes

I will tilt and see.

well done sir.

2 Likes

Another thought about camera angles and screens. If your screen is a woven square pattern of small wires, you may want to shift some of the wires to increase their spacing. You wouldn’t have to shift many as the light receiving portion of the lens is small. A toothpick, opened paper clip, push-pin, or needle could be used to shift the wires.
May need to spray the modified screen area with insecticide to discourage the smaller bugs.
Victor Maletic

2 Likes

Good idea. Also, if the position is permanent and you don’t mind a little screen repair later, you could always just cut a hole/square and tape the camera in place.

2 Likes

Same here. And yeah, IR and glass do not play well together.

just realized I have a smaller screenless stationary window on the first floor with a pretty good view, I hope.

I have a pan cam in my garage window that focuses through the window and the screen beyond and the picture is crystal clear. The screen doesn’t show at all. Amazing.

My V2 Wyze cam has been mounted in my sun porch behind sliding glass door and screen door for about 2 years. The picture I get is fine. I have the IR turned off with outdoor lighting on at night and picks up fine behind glass and/or screen door.