Cam V2 bricked after Firmware update and Wyze refuses to honor warranty

I had two Wyze cameras brick after a firmware upgrade. None of the suggested fixes work. I was able to find an older version of the firmware and installed it by using an SD card. Both cameras have worked fine since. Tried a newer firmware update on one of the cameras and once again the camera stopped working. Went back to the older firmware version and the camera worked. The older firmware versions can be found on the Wyze website. Since then I no longer update the cameras.

1 Like

I know others have tried reverting to older firmware…how far back did you need to go? The other posters said they couldn’t get the cameras to boot into a firmware update.

If Wyze were ignoring this person, how do you explain the Wyze offer to reimburse him for the market value of the out-of-production camera? That doesn’t make sense.

Market value is not relevant…purchase price is per the warranty.

1 Like

Well go ahead and sue on that basis. Nothing is stopping you. The whole insurance business works on that principle.

Not talking about suing. What I’m saying is that Wyze made a contract with the customers in the form of a warranty. The warranty doesn’t say that Wyze at its discretion will give you whatever it feels like if your purchased product breaks. The warranty says replacement or refund as long as the product is still within the warranty period. The only discretion Wyze has under the terms is repair, replace or refund. That was their warranty statement.

I think there are a lot of customers upset with Wyze over multiple products, not just the V2s. I was just reading another post about Wyze’s Fathers Day ad for the Home Monitoring System suggested as a gift. Only problem is that the gift recipient can’t activate the product because it is tied to the purchaser’s email address.

Bad optics, if not fraud.

Wow. I am blown away at the responses calling out the OP over $5 or $15 like they shouldn’t care. Asking for a repair, refund, or replacement (new/refurbished/like model) for an item under the original manufacturer’s warranty is not out of line, especially considering how the warranty is worded by Wyze. Of course everyone values time and effort differently, and maybe $15 lost is not worth it to some, but that doesn’t mean someone else is wrong if they do think it is worth the time to ask Wyze to honor their warranty.

A reasonable consumer expectation at a minimum is for a purchased product to work at least through the manufacturer warranty. I could totally understand Wyze offering $15 if the camera was out of warranty as a nice gesture, but during warranty I would also expect to get a full refund of my original purchase price or replacement with a like product. How warranties work vary wildly based on the product and these car warranty comparisons are way off point, a car’s warranty is significantly different and worded accordingly. Consumer electronics are pretty straight forward: repair/replace/refund within the warranty period.

As Wyze continues to sell more expensive items (even while cheaper than comparable products) warranties will continue to be more important. If for example I buy a $250 vacuum from Wyze and it is defective six months later but Wyze no longer sells it, I am still going to expect remedy and the solution isn’t going to be a coupon code for half the cost of a replacement.

All that said, I’m happy Wyze got it right in the end for the OP. I’ve had similar interactions where I had to reject their initial offer to get them to do the right thing (v1 sensor replacement). I hate that they make their consumers go through that, and that’s what leaves a bad taste in some people’s mouths. Hopefully Wyze takes a look at this thread and uses it as a learning experience.

3 Likes

I must have missed something amid all the discussion…what did Wyze do for the OP? I didn’t see anything about what was done. Too busy “discussing.” :grinning:

Ah, never mind. I found it.

1 Like

I don’t understand your position in this thread. Wyze flat out refused to follow their own written warranty until pressured and pleaded. How is that okay or defensible?

1 Like

Very simple. He bought the item from another seller for a higher price. Then he’s asking Wyze to refund him the higher price. I said nothing about honoring the warranty. My beef is with that particular statement.

Okay, except the only source for that assertion… is you? The OP said the camera was 9 months old and didn’t say where it was purchased. As noted, whether it was from Wyze (who sure were still selling V2s 9 months ago) or an authorized seller, the price paid is irrelevant to Wyze honoring the warranty. The excerpt posted said they will get back whatever they paid if no fix is available. Not sure why you’re assuming it was bought gray market or something.

1 Like

You can pretty much infer that he didn’t buy it from Wyze. Wyze never sold the V2 for $30.

It was $19.95 (?)+ $5 shipping.

I paid $27.92 for 47mm watch with tax and shipping directly from Wyze. Seeing as the Wyze watch was $19.99 at the time it is not crazy to get to $30 with a v2 purchased from Wyze.

Include the tax, and it won’t get to $30.

So maybe he was rounding up about the $30. Or exaggerating. Or maybe he bought it for $30 from HomeDepot or Amazon or any number of other places. It doesn’t sound like an outrageous selling price at all, particularly if that includes tax and shipping.

I just gave you an example where it could have been $28 and you are hung up that they said $30? Maybe they gave a round number instead of not posting the specific dollars and cents of the transaction for brevity.

2 Likes

The OP never said original purchase was $30. What was said was if Wyze wouldn’t provide a replacement they should provide a credit of $30 so the OP could purchase a V3 as a replacement.

1 Like

I never said $30 was outrageous. It’s that he paid it to another company and he wants Wyze to refund the extra amount as well.

Which is exactly what their warranty says they will do?