Cam Pans suddenly won't stay connected

You should be able to downgrade firmware, but it is a manual process requiring an SD card and downloaded firmware.

2 Likes

All prior firmware downloads were removed from the Firmware Release Notes page due to the new security updates:

Due to the security improvement on this firmware, you will need to go through the setup process for your camera if you go back to firmware 4.9.8.1002 or below. Because of this, we are removing those firmware files from this page.

Well, isn’t that special. So now there is no way to fix broken firmware. Now it is even more important to prevent automatic updates, unless you really want bricked equipment.

4 Likes

:question::thinking::man_shrugging::crazy_face::question:

It certainly does create a contradictory dilemma feedback loop doesn’t it!

Fortunately, there are muted whispers of users who previously squirreled away a reserve copy for safe keeping. :shushing_face:

2 Likes

I had to operate on back level firmware for years due to a problem they introduced with motion based event capture on the cam pans. Seems to me I saw it acknowledged someplace, but mysteriously they fixed it last year after breaking it in spring of 2019.

:face_exhaling:

1 Like

And it has been resurrected.

1 Like

Seriously? The cam pans now don’t capture events based on motion again? I literally just updated my only v1 yesterday.

It’s almost like the company is going full-on turd… CCP directives? :thinking:

1 Like

They do motion capture, but it isn’t right. Check yours out and report back any issues.

The issues I have w\ the new FW are horrible CamPlus AI detections, short CamPlus video events, horrible motion tracking, choppy video, etc.

It actually started a long time ago from .860 in January and .1002 in March. The cam is incapable of motion detection when it is in motion panning following motion. It is the craziest thing. I have been fighting it for most of the year.

1 Like

Hi. I had the same issue with my WyzeCam v2’s after the update. They would reconnect to my router after the update ONCE. As soon as they were restarted or power cycled, they would no longer connect. Going through setup again fixed it again… until a restart!

To fix the issue I had to manually flash the cameras to the earlier firmware: https://download.wyzecam.com/firmware/v2/demo_4.9.8.1002.zip

Very disappointed by Wyze!

I was able to get 2 of the Cam Pan V1’s to flash back to 1002, but the other two refuse to budge from 1433.

They’re making it really tough to feel any sense of brand loyalty.

2 Likes

Having a router for 5 years without even updating its firmware could be the issue here. If you don’t know how to update the router’s firmware, contact your ISP for assistance. Also, see if you can a newer, more updated router to see if that solves the issue. Good Luck.

Hi - I found this video that might help you.

The YouTube video is just a video tutorial of the same Wyze instruction link @WildBill provided above on How to Flash the Firmware on your Wyze Cam

Unfortunately, as was discussed above, due to the new security updates in the most recent Firmware update, Wyze removed the link to download the last stable version.

1 Like

Update:

4 cam pan v1’s went offline upon restart after 1433.

I was able to roll back 2 of them to 1002, and those 2 now work as before.

The other 2 cannot be flashed back to 1002, and remain unusable.

Wyze sent me a test upgrade which also could not be manually flashed.

Wyze then tried to push the test update via the usual process, but that also did not work, so those 2 cameras remain frozen on 1433.

I was told I would receive replacements, but I am now told I need to buy the replacements.

If Wyze’s policy is to issue a firmware update which essentially renders their products useless, and also renders them incapable of being either rolled back or further updated to a working firmware, goodbye to Wyze.

I’m not buying anything else from a company that will “allow” me to use their product for 2 years, and will then issue a firmware “update” that forces me to replace their now unusable product at my own expense.

I feel your pain. My 2 Wyze Cam Pan devices started to act up immediately after the 4.10.9.1433 firmware update. One at a time it occurred. I foolishly updated the second one and it suffered the same fate as the first. They show solid blue led and perform everything as they should and are connected on my wifi network verified by a scanner. The “Device Info” show bars of signal strength but does not identify the SSID wifi network name. The firmware update has essentially ‘BRICKED’ the cams!! I have called the Wyze support team and they are investigating and say they will email me back when they have something to offer. MY security level and risk for my wifi network is MY business. If Wyze needs more security at its end they can do it between the camera and their servers through enveloping the data perhaps. The app shows the cams as “ON” with thumbnails on the left side but will not connect. Shame on Wyze for not warning customers prior to the firmware update FUBAR.

1 Like

I just ran into this problem today too! It looks like it took out all of my Wyze Cam Pan (four of them) and my Wyze Cam v1 (one so far) that I updated the firmware on. My Wyze Cam v3’s (two of them) are fine, though, after their firmware was upgraded. This seems to be affecting only certain models. Given that some of my cameras are on properties in another state… this is more than just a small inconvenience and will cost me time and money to mitigate.

I’m very disappointed this wasn’t tested better before releasing into production and distributing out to customers. This is EXACTLY the situation that provides the whole reason for quality assurance testing against real hardware during the staging portion of software development. There should ALWAYS be a step to test installs against expected situations and attacks (remotely powercycling at the AC should always have been a part of testing). Very unprofessional. I suspect that I will no longer purchase anything branded Wyze or Roku (since they now sell Wyze devices rebranded with the Roku name). In the meantime, I’m incredibly stressed out and stuck trying to mitigate or repair what I have access to until they are replaced with another brand.

1 Like

These 1st gen Wyze Cam Pan models were also used in the iSmartAlarm launch and were bricked (or failed?) until the company disposed of the brand. I am confident they were bricked by shoddy devs. They are made in Asia and very reliable as far as the hardware goes from my experience until and if the firmware bricks them in some way or another. This situation is a designed in bricking, since it has to do with the wifi security. It should be easy to remedy, IF WYZE CHOOSES TO. If Wyze doesn’t wish to regress this firmware update, it behooves them to replace ALL Wyze Cam Pan v1s with the model that works with the latest firmware, FOR FREE!

2 Likes

I stand corrected, btw… the one I thought was a Wyze Cam v1 is actually a Wyze Cam v2 that got ruined during my update earlier today as well. So, it seems to be All of my Wyze Cam Pan (v1) and Wyze Cam v2.

1 Like

The option to flash back firmware is available:

WCPv2: https://download.wyzecam.com/firmware/panV2/recovery_wcpv2_4.49.1.47.zip

WCPv1:
https://download.wyzecam.com/firmware/pan/demo_4.10.8.1002.zip

WCv2
https://download.wyzecam.com/firmware/v2/demo_4.9.8.1002.zip

1 Like

Sadly, this might be the only thing I can do but it will force me to travel at my own expense to locations on opposite side of the Atlantic coast of the United States just to flash firmware to regain working cameras again–and then continue to consider every firmware release an untested risk. The true solution to this is that Wyze needs to implement proper ITIL with real hardware testing as the last step in a staging environment to run tests before releasing firmware out into the public who must then suffer something this catastrophic.

1 Like