Cam Pan V2 not showing color in night vision

I’m not getting color with night vision like the website showed.
I’ve tried with IR on and off and nothing.

IR On and NVM Auto

IR On and NVM Off

Website demo picture

Both night vision modes need SOME light to operate. Take your bottom comparison. The Cam Pan shows there is a faint light in the room (probably blackout curtains in the afternoon). The Pan V2 takes that faint light and makes a very nice picture, showing the effectiveness of the starlight sensor.

In the top picture there is no generalized faint light. Just the glow of cracks, or night lights behind furniture. Whereas those areas are lit, the room is not. Since the starlight sensor is not sensitive to the IR lights being on without being in night vision, it has no light to work with.

The very top picture is night vision on with the IR lights on. Turn the IR lights off, and it will be as dark as the second pic (maybe darker).

Both need SOME general light to work. For most people a yard light can provide enough light. Without the yard light you are at the mercy of the clouds and the moon phase, and without a cloudless full moon you will probably be disappointed.

In your situation, I’d use the settings of the top picture. Standard night vision with the IR lights turned on. I don’t know an easy way to put something is that room that would just glow a little in visible light without being a minor distraction to someone sleeping there.

3 Likes

Newshound,
Thank you for the explanation.
That was very helpful.

Brad

2 Likes

You were not the only one that was disappointed by this. The color night vision is very misleading with the Pan V2, I would argue false advertising even. In my testing this is no different than my Pan V1s. I have been testing the V2 extensively and even in rooms with a small lamps on, it’s still black and white. Pan V2 drops the ball big time. Not worth the extra money. Also a side note, the demo picture doesn’t show any “general light” at all, it shows a dark room, even darker than the OP’s room.

You can’t have normal night vision on if you want to see color night vision. Color night vision is an extension in sensitivity of normal daytime mode. If you see a B&W picture, your normal night vision is still engaged. Turn it off.

1 Like

Same exact experience for me, I found the color night mode terrible and completely useless. I swapped a v1 with a v2 and saw zero difference. Will be going back to v1 and save $50.