Cam Pan suddently not connecting

Hello All,

It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything. All 5 of my Pan V3’s, one WCO, & one Pan V2 have been working well for some time now. There was/is an issue with the Pan V2 from the start. I got one of the Pan V2’s from, I think, the 1st batch. It was an upgrade for an original V1, which at the time was working fine. When I first installed it, everything worked fine until I did the pending firmware update. After the update, I had a serious connectivity issue. It was almost as though the sensitivity, or range, had been cut in half. I contacted Wyze, and they were kind enough to send me a replacement after I explained what had happened. They asked that I send them pics of the serial #, and a screenshot of the original Pan V2 status page, which I did. When I received the replacement V2, I accidentally hit “Update”, and was back to the same connectivity problem. I called again and told them about my Homer Simpson doe! moment. Well, they actually sent me another one which, to this day, I have not updated the out-of-box firmware. It has been working fine since. After the 1st two firmware releases, which I passed on, I decided to call & ask if they had determined the cause of the update / range issue. The tech I spoke with said he had no info at all about the issue so, as I told him, I’ll just leave well enough alone. The firmware update that was rolled out today or yesterday is, to the best of my knowledge, the 3rd since the Pan V2 was released - possibly 4th. I might be missing some firmware improvements. I plan to call Wyze soon, but until I get a definitive answer as to why the issue existed in the first place, I’m sticking with the original firmware until something goes sideways. I don’t know if my issue was isolated, but my gut tells me it was not.

Cheers !

Since you didn’t want to update and it did, you could do a manual firmware flash to roll back the firmware to a previous release, your not stuck with the update if you don’t want.

These are the available firmware options from the firmware page for the v2 pan.

I wound up having g to return all cameras. Each one bit the dust within a week of each other. I didn’t even have the 2nd 2 cameras for 2 weeks. It was an absolute nightmare. Horrible product!

I just reread over your posts, this is a cam pan thread, but you mentioned a base, did you have the Wyze Cam Outdoor and it’s associated base station, or a pan cam?

Greetings I have also had major issues with connectivity. It started with one camera (v2) then the next, then my pan, then the next, until all 4 of my cameras had trouble connecting. First one started after about 10mths of purchase and each following the rest of a year. I did everything to try to fix it. At least I had my v3 to rely on, up until after an update then that camera also kept cycling, it was the last of my cameras to go. Not to mention I also had an outdoor camera that had problems after 3 months, wouldn’t let me view recorded events anymore only was able to watch hours of footage if I needed to find a specific event so that was ridiculous! Then it stopped working after 5 months although I did received a replacement I haven’t bothered connecting it yet, since that was a headache of a camera on its own.
I was very upset because I literally was out over $300 worth of wyze equipment! I finally decided to go into the forum and someone had replied that it most likely is a wifi issue and gave me suggestions on what i can do. I had nothing to lose so I unplugged all the cameras, deleted the wyze app then I redid everything like it was all new. Surprisingly it actually worked. All my cameras work now. I suggest you try it if you ever run into anymore connectivity issues. I do hope it works for you.
Have you had any trouble with the door sensors? I tried to change out batteries but those never worked again. I have a lot of frustration with those sensors especially with the company since it seems they don’t even sell them anymore they just keep producing new items instead. Darn sensors pieces of junk and money wasted! Anyways goodluck!

All my cameras were outdoor cameras

I’ve sent all the cameras back and gone with another company and equipment that’s much easier to deal with.

1 Like

Omgitstony,

I don’t think you understood my post. My current Wyze Cam Pan V2 is working fine with the out-of-box firmware, and until things go sideways, or Wyze can assure me it’s OK to update, I’m sticking with the original firmware. As a side note, I am thoroughly impressed with the light gathering capabilities of all the last iterations of Wyze cams. If anyone is interested, the latest cameras produce the best pix with stark white light. I’m currently using this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S5HK3T9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as a supplement to my main backyard motion sensing 120 VAC LED floodlight. It’s rated @ 1000 lumens, but comes no where close. My Pan cam, however, “sees” it as a bright flood, w/no hotspots - gives a nice even coverage to my small 150 x 75 ft area. The 1st thing I did was upgrade the 2,200 mAh 18650 cell to a 3,500 mAh version, and added a supplementary solar panel, isolated w/Schottky diodes. The supplementary panel has two 3,500 mAh paralleled cells. Both solar panels have a full southern exposure. I can go several cloudy days with an excellent nighttime pix. If anyone wants to try this setup you will need these also https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JGWQ5C3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , but be sure to check cables, both the one that comes with the floodlight & the “Y” connectors. I found a few with the red & black polarities reversed. You can find the 1amp Schottky’s @ Ebay for approx 6 bucks as an assortment pack

Cheers !,
DickyC3PO

Omgitstony,

I was compelled to mention, the solar floodlight has a terrible mount - had to fabricate an adapter from lightweight aluminum to allow an upward adjustment, otherwise it is fixed pointing almost directly downward.

Cheers !

I did understand your post. My comments were directed to your first two Pan V2s on how to revert them to a previous firmware, to whatever the firmware version is that you don’t have issues with. This process would hopefully make them work for you again with the previous firmware that works on your use case and setup.

This:

I read the above as you still have the first two Pan V2s, but they have updated firmware still on them.

Omgitstony,

We’re still not on the same page. In a nutshell, I pre-ordered a Pan V2. Installation went well until I updated it. There was no firmware to roll back to; it was a new product release. The same goes for the second V2. Both were ultimately returned, and I kept the 3rd with the original newly released out-of-box firmware. I have done firmware rollbacks before, It’s just that in this particular instance, there was nothing to roll back to. All is well. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Thanks,
DickyC3PO

Now we are on the same page because it was never mentioned that the first two were returned. I was under the impression that you still had all three, and was trying to have you roll back the first two to the Sept 10th firmware release because you had updated them and said their operation was decreased. What firmware version in on the 3rd one?

Hello again,

I was missing a now very obvious point you were making. There is always firmware to roll back to, at least after the 2nd update for a new product has been released. As fate would have it, I am, as of yesterday, starting to experience connectivity issues with my Pan V2 - talk about timing !. I’m ready to pull the switch. I could use your help in that regard. It’s been a while since I’ve done a rollback. I’ve no idea where to find the firmware repository for the Wyze Cams - the Wyze website ?. PAUSE … Just found it, along w/instructions - will let you know the outcome.

Many thanks,
DickyC3PO