Cam Outdoor Basestation Failed During Update

Yes, I have had nothing but trouble with the new firmware. Wyze customer service is very very very very very bad. I would call it a joke but that is a compliment. You need to down load an old firmware to a computer than flash a sd card & install that on to camera & base. It is hard.
I am affraid to try to update camera again. I spent hours figuring & fixing my cams with zero help from Wyze. I will never buy anything from them again

can you please dm me the mac id of your new base station? I’d also like your bricked base station back with a prepaid shipping label, could you also send me the support ticket that you contacted our support team?

I’m so sorry about the bad support experience! I’d love to help with your issue if you could troubleshoot it with me or I can contact our support to send you a replacement unit and bring back the bricked unit for analysis.

I reverted back to previous firmware version and reconnected to my outdoor camera. Please let me know when you fix the current version of firmware. Thanks, Richard

Hi @craig.camelio, I’m so sorry about the delayed response in support! If your issue is not resolved, i’d love to help you with it if you could send me either your support ticket id or dm me the MAC ID of the new base station.

Hi Richard, in order to understand the issue, you tried the following steps and your outdoor cameras were not able to connected to the base station, is that right?

1. update both base station and WCO to latest firmware 4.16.1.22 and 4.17.1.52.
  2. wait for 5 mins for the outdoor camera to reconnect to base station

WyzeLi, I posted earlier as jef3680 and was having the exact same issue. My camera is and was on software version 4.17,1.52. After updating the base station to 4.16.1.22 the camera would not connect. I waited longer than 5 minutes. I reverted the base station back to 4.16.1.14 per provided instructions and the camera connected. I once again updated to 4.16.1.22 and again the camera would not connect. I reverted back to 4.16.1.14 and camera connected and I left it that way. Hope this helps.

John

Yes that is correct. I waited over an hour.

Hi @jef3680, thanks for the info. When you updated the base to .22 and WCO to .52 firmware, and found out the camera wouldn’t connect, did you try flipping the switch on the back of the camera at all? If so, did that help at all?
If possible, could you help us collect some firmware logs so we can look into the issue? It will need a microSD card. Here’s the instruction.

1. Put a microSD card inside of the outdoor camera.
  2. update firmware on WCO and the base station to 4.17.1.52 and 4.16.1.22.
  3. wait for 5 mins for the camera to reconnect
  4. if the camera fails to reconnect, please take out the microSD card, there will be a wyze_camera_log folder. Zip it and send it to me via DM or email at ltan[at]wyze.com.
  5. Send an app log and make sure to select that outdoor camera in the device dropdown list. Please let me know the app ID.

So two things, 1) a zipped log file attachment and 2) app log ID number.

Hi @imrockker, thank you for the info! Would you mind collecting some additional info for us to troubleshoot? I’ve posted the instruction in this thread.

The outdoor camera was already on 4.17.1.52 which works fine with base station software 4.16.1.14, but does not seem to work with base station software 4.16.1.22. I am not positive but I believe I did try turning the power off to the outdoor camera and then back on. Per your request here are the steps taken and file sent to you:

Attached is the Wyze camera log you requested. I used the following steps to obtain this
Camera on software 4.17.1.52
Base Station on software 4.16.1.14
Base Station software update available 4.16.1.22.
Updated Base Station to 4.16.1.22,
Wyze App ID V2.19.24
Waited 7 minutes
When I go to turn the camera on in the app, error message Application Failed and the cloud had a line through it
I turned the camera off waited 30 seconds, turned it back on and same results.
Took the base station software back to 4.16.1.14 and camera works again.

WyzeLi,

I received the third base station and it worked well (I held my breath while updating the firmware again…). I had to “re” link my cameras and everything seems to be working. I do seem to have an issue with whether or not the system recognizes my account as PLUS (i bought PLUS for all four cameras before the base station failed). Other than that everything finally seems to be working.

Next step is installing the home monitoring system.

Craig.

Hi @jef3680, I got your email and thank you so much for collecting the log for me. We’ll investigate the log files. Will get back to you.

Hi @craig.camelio, thanks for letting me know. Can you please elaborate on the Cam Plus issue you have? What is not working for you? We can take a look at that. :slight_smile:

@jef3680 Hello, we looked into your firmware log (thank you for sending it to us). The camera was not connected to the base station after the firmware update because the camera got the old config files and was not updated properly. We suspect that while the camera was firstly updating to .52 firmware, something interrupted the progress that the files were not loaded correctly and it could be flashing the firmware or flipping the switch. We couldn’t tell from the firmware log.

But this issue can be fixed by rebinding the outdoor camera.

1. Update base station and WCO to latest .22 and .52 firmware.
  2. Pair the WCO again with the base station.

May I ask what did you do to the camera when you found out the camera was not connected to the base station at the first firmware update attempt?

Thank you for you help. I updated the base again to .22, but this time I deleted the outdoor camera after the update and re-added it using the Wyse App and the camera worked with the latest software on both camera and base station.

The first time I tried updating the Base station, the camera I believe was already on firmware .52, after the base station was updated to .22 as I recall the camera would never connect, it kept showing the cloud with the line through it. I could only get it to connect after reverting the base station back to the previous software.

Thank you for the update! We’ll see if we can reproduce it ourselves. Thank you!

Unfortunately, my base station is fried… Wyze should not update firmware on devices that don’t need it or devices that can’t be restored. Hard and soft reset does not work. My base station was fine, working perfectly.

Now I am stuck with a base station solid yellow light and won’t do anything. Before anyone replies with “how to” nothing is working to get it out of the BRICKED state.

I spent an hour with support on rolling back to 4.16.2.66 (January 18, 2022) . That did not work.

I had the same problem with a V2 cam over a year ago, and I rolled back the version and restored the camera. But, these base stations are unable to factory reset or hard restore.

I have one question for Wyze… WHY? You don’t need to update so much. Chill out…

I own 7 Wyze cams, 2 outdoor cams, the vacuum, lights, and A whole bunch more… I love Wyze products when they work and are not updated every other day.

This thing isn’t even heavy enough to be a paperweight. Thanks Wyze

If your base station bricked due to the update, contact support and they are supposed to replace it for you.

It sounds like those who are near their basestation/WCO can either change the firmware and/or the basestation. But what do we who live across the country going to do? I won’t be back to this residence until November so I loose the use of this camera for 6 months. For you Wyze employees who monitor this forum PLEASE tell your development team to do more testing before sending out firmware updates. My bad for allowing an update when I’m not at the device location.
WCO firmware: 4.17.4.124
Base station firmware: 4.16.3.117