Burying cable

I am wanting to install a couple of cams on the curtlage of my property;however, the distance from the house to electrical source is bout 60 ft. Has anyone bury the USB cable maybe through pvc pipe or any other means and sealing it to keep out water. Suggestions are needed.

You can use PVC, just remember to calculate the power drop over distance as well as the potential for cross talk or jitter from surrounding elements.

1 Like

What I would do if I were you. Find a spare plug in the garage or something similar and create your own extension cord from a regular power cord. Get a heavy duty waterproof extension cord at like 100 feet or more even connect them together via cut and splice or other means and go all the way out to the end of your property. Might cost you a bit for all the extension cords and the pvc. But its definitely doable. Or depending on what you plug into it run some outdoor electrical cable through the pvc and hook into an existing outlet via the rear or put a plug on it at the front with as long as you need cable wise. Then you can put a junction box close to where you want the camera.

Limitless potential this way.

3 Likes

I ran 14-2 gauge off of one of my 110 outlets outside and left the default power cable.

1 Like

The nice thing is as well that these cameras only need 5 volts to work. And the plug is a step down plug so it takes 110 or 120 and essentially “steps it down” to only providing 5 volts. So even with the distance and power drop. It shouldn’t go below the limit to provide the 5 volts necessary to run the camera’s. At least I wouldn’t think so. Electricians come back at me for this one?

3 Likes

It would if you are daisy chaning it off of another camera or you use a cheap cable to run.

60’ of USB cables isn’t a great idea but 60’ - 100’ of 14 or even 16 gauge 110 volt AC extension is no problem at all with such a low load.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Awesome thanks “Wyzers” for the feedback. I will invest in the outdoor electrical cable and begin to draft the locations for maximum coverage.

1 Like