Bulbs Go Offline After Power Failure

Usually that will mean the power stays off though. If the fault has cleared then its only 2 of cycles. If it hits 3, then the breaker stays off. Then the bulb will not go into pair mode once the off cycle is past a few seconds.

ie. On…Fault occurs(OFF), Retry (ON)-Fault again(OFF), Retry(ON)-Fault again(OFF), Retry (ON)m Fault permanent(OFF). Once the power is restored, the reset timeout has passed and the unit goes back to normal operation. IT wont go back into pair mode once the power is out for a certain amount of time(likely due to a capacitor charging down).

1 Like

Looks like I’m a little late to this game, but I had not had the problem before. I have Wyze bulbs set up at a vacation home - two on each level that go on and off at particular times since we are not there. I also have five Wyze cams set up on all floors. Apparently there was a power outage or fluctuation (which happens quite often there) and now all the bulbs are offline but all the cams are working perfectly. This is extremely disappointing to learn that they will now be offline until I get back there which could be many weeks. That means the house is now in total darkness with no lighting whatsoever. Had I known this was going to happen I never would have purchased them as they are completely worthless as any kind of security if they cannot sustain a slight power fluctuation. When I return to my vacation home I will be armed with better lighting and I am going to completely remove the Wyze bulbs which are now worthless to me. So disappointing…

2 Likes

I’m hoping they can fix this with a firmware upgrade or so. It’s bad enough that after every power spike the bulbs come on and stay on until I notice it and turn them off, but not being available online is a total deal breaker.

2 Likes

It is a TOTAL deal breaker to me! I was one of the original supporters of these bulbs and I love all the Wyze products - but not the bulbs any more. If they can come up with a firmware upgrade that will fix the problem, then I will continue to use and purchase more bulbs. Until then, the bulbs are totally useless in my opinion - wish I had known this before I supported and purchased those bulbs. Now my vacation home sits in total darkness until I can get back to it and I don’t know when I can get back!! EXTREMELY UNSAFE!

2 Likes

I hope this doesn’t fall under the standard statement that “Wyse devices are not security devices”.

When Wyze releases a door lock, I hope this mentality changes.

1 Like

We’re sorry about the experience you’ve had, @mparegian.

I’m communicating all of this to the team.

1 Like

Can you tell me if your Smart Plugs will survive power outages and fluctuations and reconnect without my intervention? I could switch my light bulbs out to use your Smart Plugs instead and that would work for me…

1 Like

Both the bulbs and smart plug should reconnect automatically after a power failure, although I realize people may be having issues with it

3 Likes

As a community, we began reporting this issue way back when those of us who are early adopters began receiving the lights. Come on Wyze team, we’re still having the lost configuration issue months later. Is there any work going on that you can share with us that could potentially resolve or at lease minimize this behavior?

1 Like

Add me to this list (i’ll also submit a support ticket) bulbs not reconnecting. In my situation, we have little fingers that tend to turn off light switches or switch off a table lamp. Once I discover a light has been switched off, there is almost never a full recovery. I get about 1 out of every 3 bulbs that will automatically reconnect. I still have one from 2 weeks ago that will not reconnect because I just haven’t gotten around to deleting and re-adding it to my app. The unreliability of the bulbs are frustrating.

Everything else is great though! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve made the comment before in these forums: the bulbs aren’t ready for general public use! They are a beta product at best. Way too much unreliable behavior to realistically want to use them in production. I pre-ordered 8 of them, but only 5 are actually in use. Three in a closet track-light that is triggered by a Sense motion sensor. Most of the time it works fine, but still too often they need resetting or even deleting and rejoining. Not acceptable for a product that is available for pubic purchase. These should still be in limited release and part of a beta program as issues are identified and resolved.
It’s sad that I bought these bulbs and several sit new and unused in the box because they are simply too unreliable to be usable. I’ve moved on and bought other smart bulbs from competitors.

1 Like

Well now I feel really bad for calling he bulbs “worthless”. After 24 hours or so all of them reconnected on their own without my intervention since I wasn’t there and are now working perfectly. I’m not sure what is going to happen at the next power outage or fluctuation so in order to hedge my bets, the next time I am at the vacation home I will also install some Wyze Smart Plugs as backups on other lamps and hope they recover quickly like all the web cams do - i do love the Wyze products and want to continue using all their products.

So why do you bold your posts? It’s almost like all caps, lol.

1 Like

Could have been a router/internet issue. If you had multiples there and none of them were reconnecting, that seems like a more likely scenario.

1 Like

Possibly - but I have excellent internet service with an extremely strong signal in all rooms even downstairs. The bulbs on all floors disconnected and stayed off while all cams came back on and one was not even a Wyze cam. Everything was on immediately - but the bulbs took over 24 hours to come back - makes no sense to me. I’ll see what happens down the road as there are many power fluctuations and outages at that location. At present they are working perfectly and going on and off as previously set.

Oh, I understand. I didn’t know you had other devices successfully connected. But it still could be a router issue of some sort.

For me, even with my laptop, sometimes it enters a state where it’s connected to my router’s WiFi, but it’s not actually successfully connecting to the internet. Manually disconnecting and reconnecting it from the WiFi network gets it working again. I don’t know exactly what causes that, but I don’t think it’s my laptop manufacturer at fault. Just router weirdness.

@mparegian
Possible but not likely. Its pretty obvious that the bulbs have issues. I have a $6 no name RGBW wifi bulb running outside in my pole light. The power there is spotty at best due to the old wire, beat up socket and general water ingress that occurs. Yet that bulb has been running without a single hiccup for almost a year now.

Someone above said what I feel and that is that these were not fully tested and the software or control chain was not fully tested before deployment. Growing pains are understandable. It’s just odd that after months there is no actual resolution. I keep monitoring this thread to see if I should buy another set of bulbs after I tossed all but one that worked from day one. No reason to yet.