Bulbs Go Offline After Power Failure

Did two tests last night with one of the bulbs.

Test 1: Turned the lamp off for 30 seconds, then back on. Bulb responded to the app after about 30 seconds. Bulb never showed as being offline in the app.

Test 2: Turned the lamp off and left off for a while (approx 10 minutes). When I checked the app, bulb now was showing up as being offline. Turned the lamp back on and left it for a while (approx 10 minutes). When I checked the app, bulb was now showing up as being online and turned on. Bulb responded normally to the app.

I ran out of time last night but I should probably do one more test, which would be to turn off all four bulbs in that room and leave them all off until they show up as offline in the app. Then turn them all on and see if they come back.

2 Likes

Not exactly a scientific test, but my wife and kids arenā€™t 100% on board with smart bulbs so they still frequently turn off the lights using the switch. The bulbs end up being offline for a few minutes to a few hours and always reconnect when the switch is turned back on. Iā€™m not sure how thatā€™s different from the power outages weā€™ve had, but throw that into the anecdotal experience bin :slight_smile:

1 Like

My bulbs have come back online as well after the power has been switched offā€¦no problems at all. :slightly_smiling_face: However, I wonder if the bulbs will react differently if the router is turned off at the same time. I havenā€™t tried that yet. The bulbs may not behave the same way if all the power is turned off at once simulating a complete power outage. Any thoughts?

2 Likes

I think itā€™s time to flip the main breaker at homeā€¦ you know, for science. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

I havenā€™t experienced this myself, but I suspect the bulbs are sensitive to brown-outs. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Anyone else want to volunteer. I think I will wait to experience the worst scenario for now. :grin:

I will actually be flipping the main breaker to my house this weekend to do some work, I can see what happens. I do know that I have a bulb in the bedroom and every night the switch gets turned off so it wont come on with motion during the night, in the morning the switch gets turned back on and the bulb reconnects.

2 Likes

I ordered some Gosund smart light switches that will arrive in a day or two, so I will have to turn off the power too. I guess I will see how everything reacts afterwards. Let me know how it goes for you. Thanks.

1 Like

I experienced this 2 times when out of town guests turned the lights off and on probably a few times bot realizing they are smart bulbs. My guess is like mentioned earlier it went into pairing mode if done 3 times in a row.

In hind sight or future bulb releases maybe it would be better to have a button on the bulb that triggers pairing instead of power off and on 3 times.

2 Likes

A physical button has its own issues (hardware redesign, point of mechanical failure, physical access required to reset bulb), but firmware-based options are also limited. Reset/pairing has to be initiated by some combination of on/off since thereā€™s no other way to interact with the bulb before setup. All my other smart bulbs operate the same way, with some number of on/off cycles within a time frame required to initiate setup.

1 Like

@thequietman44 the cameras all have a physical button and no one seems to have any trouble with getting physical access or with the buttons not working. Shrug.

1 Like

The button on one of my cams got stuck in the pressed state so I had to disable it to get my cam working again :slightly_frowning_face:. I donā€™t imagine it would be common, just pointing out that adding a physical feature to a product introduces additional points of failure. More likely redesigning the product would be the bigger issue.

Most people donā€™t have Wyze Cams in sealed fixtures 10ft off the ground either :wink:. At least for me, physical access to the bulbs would be a much bigger deal than reaching up and pressing a button on a Wyze Cam.

1 Like

Iā€™m the opposite. Most of my cameras need a ladder and/or removal from a case to get to the button. Whereas all of my bulbs are very easy to get to. Hereā€™s the more important point though. Because the cameras use a button to go into setup mode, Iā€™ve never once had to access the button to press it after doing the initial setup. Its just not an issue. I have to power cycle the cameras now and then but I can do that from the ground without touching the camera at all. OTOH Iā€™ve had to reset all of my bulbs twice in a week now.

I do believe a quick ā€œbandaidā€ would be to up the cycles to something more like 5-6 in a firmware update. The chance of the power doing that level of flutter or a guest accidentally doing that, I would think, are much less than the current 3.

Hopefully the engineering team can come up with an elegant solution

I am running into a similar issue. I have experienced the bulbs disconnecting from the WiFi for no particular reason. Signal in the app shows strong, yet they just seem to randomly get stuck in either the on or off mode. In my ā€œproblem instanceā€, there are three bulbs in a closet track light that are grouped and activated and shut off based on motion from a Wyze Sense. The Sense works fine, but occasionally (but not consistently) one or two of the lights will simply either stay on or fail to turn on no matter what I do. A couple times the issue corrected with a simple power off/on of the track fixture, but several times already I had to get out a ladder and manually put the bulb back in pairing mode and do the setup all over again. Re-pairing has always resolved the problem temporarily, but this scenario has repeated multiple times and it is getting rather old. It seems these bulbs are just not really ready for market yet. If they were as inexpensive in comparison to other brand bulbs like the cameras are, I could accept glitches like this as growing pains in a young product line, but with the bulbs similar in price to others available today, this is really not acceptable. I did not early order the Wyze smart plugs because of the bulb issues, and I am honestly about ready to request an RMA and return them.
I would like to know what Wyze is doing to improve these bulb issues or if this is simply as good as we are going to get from them? Iā€™m submitting a help request to see if they are taking customer issues seriously or if I am going to get the ā€œF-Uā€ that jmccann30080 received. I am pretty disappointed in the response he got back from Wyze, and if this is indicative of how they want to treat customers, I will certainly take them up on the return option and shop elsewhere for all my smart-home needs.
Wyze team: step up your game! I love the potential in this company and the products, but there is no excuse to rush a product to market before it is ready. Beta test products are understandable, but these bulbs are out for general sale to the public and based on the number of forum comments and complaints, they are buggy at best.

1 Like

Hello. Just noticed all my bulbs wonā€™t reconnect to my wifi. Even after removing them and trying to reconnect them. They only work when turning on the switch manually. Not responding at all

Mine wonā€™t come back on even after I remove them and reset them to my wifi. Only work manually

I bought 8 of these bulbs. Should I just send them back? Looking for customer service help

1 Like

Having the same issue, I donā€™t believe Iā€™ve had a power failure, but the house wiring is old and we have thunderstorms daily, so who knows. Bought 12 bulbs, had all connected to 2.4ghz wifi and working for about a week. 11 of 12 bulbs no longer respond to the app commands, also donā€™t update on/off status.

Tried removing bulb from app, factory reset, and reconnecting to the appā€¦which works, the app successfully connects with the bulb. But, this didnā€™t resolve the issue, the app still canā€™t turn on/off, change brightness or show bulb on/off status. Hoping this is a software and not a hardware issue.

1 Like

7pm cst NONE of my bulbs respond to the wyze app. I re-paired one bulb and it did all the paring and connection stuff. but it will not respond to the wyze app. when i press the button on it shows off but the bulb stays on. there is no control from the app. this is on all 4 bulbs

1 Like