Bulbs Go Offline After Power Failure

Same problem here. I had a power outage here yesterday and all 6 bulbs went offline. I had to remove device from the app and reinstall. Total PITA and very disappointed in Wyze.

Is it turns out, I didn’t need to remove them from the app as long as I went through the pairing process again and gave them the same name. But yes it was still a PITA. It’s a shame I like the company and their products in general but I wouldn’t recommend nor buy any more bulbs.

I’m with you there. This is needs to be fixed before I will use anymore Wyze lighting products including the new color bulbs. Very disappointed because I really do love this company.

Can someone who works for Wyze comment on your efforts to resolve this issue?

It has been several years and this malfunction continues. No one from Wyze has addressed this forum in over a year. What is Wyze doing to fix this problem?

yep, my Wyze bulbs still are continuing to malfunction. I can’t afford to get another brand of bulbs. so I am just living with it. And the new push to update hardware and software without giving the option to ‘NOT’ update. If you hit the wrong button, whala you’ve updated your software to the ‘new [Mod Edit] you didn’t want’. Then you have to spend an hour reverting to the ‘WAS WORKING JUST FINE’ software. I agree they should have fixed this stuff years ago. That’s one reason I am not buying Wyze stuff till they get their act straight.

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

I had a power outage a few days ago and have 4 bulbs in my ceiling fan, After the power returned all 4 bulbs came on and I just shut it off with the switch. Now I can’t get 2 of the 4 to turn off if the switch is on. Did anyone figure out the easiest way to get the rest to connect? I kinda skimmed the thread but I musta missed it if so.

Can someone (knowledgeable) please confirm my following suspicions and assumptions .

I suspect that power outages are “tricking” the bulbs into entering pairing mode.

I assume that a pulsing bulb, is an indication of entering pairing mode.
I have seen this pulsing after power outage(s).

I also suspect that, once pairing mode has been entered, there is no easy way to return to normal operation and the bulb must be deleted and re-configured.

This is possible if there are a few ‘pulses’ when the power comes on that would make the bulb think it was turned off and on 3 times repeatedly.

A pulsing bulb is in pairing mode.

Not completely true, the bulb must be re-added to the app but if you do not delete it from the app and give the bulb the same exact name when you do the adding process again it should retain all your settings, groups and rules. The key is do not delete it from the app and name it exactly the same when adding it in again.

Thanks Jason, for the quick and to-the-point response.

Even if you don’t delete the bulb, you still have to go through the pairing process again, correct ?
That is what I meant by “easy”. If you have to repeat the configuration process of changing your Wi-Fi to that of the bulb, I would consider that difficult or at least annoying. There is no way around that, is there ?

I saw my bulbs pulse after power outages and others posting here (for years) appear to have entered the undesired pairing wormhole as well. That was even one of the troubleshooting comments from a wyze employee on this thread : you might be in pairing mode.

Yes you do unfortunately, it only saves you from having to recreate any groups or rules.

I do agree it is definitely annoying and I have not found a way around that.

I have actually had 2 of the newer White bulbs that I have been fighting with recently, in my case they kept getting disconnected and I would have to re-add them. Fortunately in my case the problem may have been my own network because I relocated one of the pods in my mesh network and they have stayed on for 2 days now. If I had to guess at your issue though its that when your power goes out or comes back it is kind of doing an ‘on/off’ flicker which triggers the pairing mode. I believe there is a wishlist item to increase the number of on/off switches to 5 or to make it user configurable to try to work around things like this.

I very frequently have to re-pair a 2019 bulb at a remote camp after power outages. When it works - it’s very handy to pull in my drive and have the camera turn on some lights, but I can’t ever count on it due to the poor power outage behavior. I know about re-using the existing name, etc. since I have done it so often. Very annoying. I’ve been hoping the power outage behavior is better with the newer White bulbs. Maybe not? Please let me know before I spend money and my frustration continues. Thanks.

I have considered replacing the light switch that controls my smart bulbs with a wyze smart switch, and then use “dumb” bulbs. I don’t know the details of the smart switch, but my hope would be that the switch would not be put in an undesirable mode by power outages. Surely the switch does not use the three power cycles pairing mode method. Since the switch is a more recent wyze product, and this chat thread documents the age of this known problem/annoyance, it would be odd to release a new product with a know issue.

I have a ceiling fan in bedroom 1 that has 5 bulbs and just a 3 fixture light in bedroom 2. 2 of the 5 bulbs in bedroom are green and the rest are “light pink” like my daughter likes. The 3 in bedroom 2 are also non a wyze switch and they have been on or off exactly what I want.

The switch does not utilize the three power cycle pairing method. The switch you have to press for I believe 20 seconds to put it into pairing mode. Most bulbs I have seen still utilize the power cycle method of pairing, some 3 cycles and some 5.

I have approximately thirty Wyze 2019 bulbs and four color Wyze Color Bulbs (Crap). I was satisfied with the bulbs until recently. They have been disconnecting from the WIFI for no reason and when flicking the switch on and off doesn’t work to reset them, I attempt to reset them and get “Connection Error”. I have to keep trying until eventually, it connects. One bulb could take up to 10 minutes of trying. Normally, they reset in 20 seconds or so. With the number of bulbs I have, this is very frustrating. Reading through this thread, it is clear that no one from Wyze has addressed this issue. I have already begun to research swapping out the Wyze bulbs for another more reliable brand.

1 Like

Before you do that you might take a good look at your network infrastructure. When 30+ devices are failing there is likely a root cause. can your router handle that many devices? I have a similar setup, and other then an occasional glitch have not had any complaints with any of the bulbs, both white and color.

I agree with Jtpryan here. If a device or two are suddenly failing to stay connected, I’d be looking at those devices. If 30 devices suddenly don’t want to stay connected, I’m going to look hard at the wifi source hardware.

Believe it or not, I have way more than thirty devices connected - it’s like the Starship Enterprise in here. “Computer” is my Alexa wake word. I had to battle with Comcast Internet to make sure there was no problem. Normally, everything works fine. You are right about the modem/router. I resolved the issue by unplugging the modem/router and the network extenders for 3 minutes. First, I plugged the modem/router in and let it cycle through and then the extenders. The lights reconnected.

You are right about the modem/router. I resolved the issue by unplugging the modem/router and the network extenders for 3 minutes. First, I plugged the modem/router in and let it cycle through and then the extenders. The lights reconnected.