Box to prevent window glare

I wanted to share what I put together for my V2 to prevent glare. For me, this prevents nearly all the glare from when lights are on indoors. (I’m able to turn lights off and on without triggering a motion alert.) It also helps a bit when headlights shine into the window from outdoors and illuminate the blinds behind the camera. If I bought a black wrap for the camera, it would probably reduce the headlight glare even more, but I’m waiting until Wyze release the black camera again. After that, I’ll put the white ones on rear windows, where headlights aren’t an issue.

So, all you need is a box and some black matte spray paint. I started with a box of knock-off Pop-Tarts from Dollar Tree. (You can use anything, but this was about the right size to cover all the glare.) One Pop-Tart box can create two anti-glare boxes.

This is what we’re creating. (Larger images at the bottom)

• First, cut it in half as shown.
  • Take half of the box and cut a bit more off until the depth is just a little more than the Wyze cam. You may want to figure out how much depth your Wyze cam takes up when it’s angled the way it will be it in your window. Mine is angled down, and I ended up cutting the box to about 2.25 inches deep.
    • (Note: It’s important to make the line as straight as possible so that it sits flush against your window, so you should unfold the box and use a straight-edge.)
  • Once you’ve done that, you should have something thatlooks like this:
  • Add a hole at the bottom (which will be the rear of the box when it’s against the window) for the cord. When it’s on the window, it will be in a horizontal orientation in order to block all the necessary glare, so make sure your hole is centered horizontally. If you have a hole punch, that may be the easiest way to do it, but I used a sharp knife and then cleaned it up with scissors. (I forgot to take a photo of this step, but you can see look at the final photos above to see where that goes.)
  • Put a dab of superglue or tape to keep the bottom closed and together
  • Spraypaint it black.
  • Install it on your window using whatever mounting method you prefer. (I’ve used an L-bracket with some suction cups and I’m just letting the bottom mount’s magnetism sandwich the box between the metal bracket and the magnetic base. Make sure to push it all the way flush against your window.
  • Voila!

6 Likes

Very nice solution to a common issue! Going to forward a link to my Dad that faces this issue!

2 Likes

Thanks! Yeah, it does the trick, and I thought the end result looked reasonably nice. I’d been wanting to do something for a while but I finally got around to it.

@Bam implemented something similar with a piece of cloth. That should work just the same, but I preferred something that felt more intentional, like a single unit/enclosure.

4 Likes

this is definitely a sentence I knew I would read today :slight_smile:

the ingenuity found by our community is awesome. well done @nerdland

4 Likes