Bluetooth major bug- still here 6 months later. Where is Wyze support?

I have an issue where if I am using a bluetooth headphones (AirPods in this case) and I go to view the cam I can hear audio, however when I go to speak the audio leaves the headphones and transfers to the phone as well as microphone control goes to the phone.

Iā€™ve been noticing this with my 2019 Honda Odyssey and Android Auto (with Google Pixel 3) for months and I havenā€™t been able to figure out what is causing it. Iā€™m not 100% sure if only happens with Wyze yet. But, reading on this forum, it makes me think the Wyze app is at least one of my culprits.

What I find most annoying is that when I get in my car and turn the car on, with Wyze as a background app and NOT open, or in the foreground, my car thinks I am in a phone call and no audio will play until I press the ā€œhang upā€ button my steering wheel. I admit that I havenā€™t done extensive testing to find out whether this is cause by Wyze but from the sounds of some of these comments, it could be. This event happens when my phone screen is off and I plug it into my stereo to use Android Auto.

I am going to do some testing with the Wyze app in the background, and then force closing the Wyze app before I start my car and see if I can get some direct correlation.

Not sure if it is a coincidence, but I turned off the apps permission to storage on my android and the calls stopped. Will have to test some more to verify.

Wyze, this is very annoying.
It makes your app look like trash.
You have to fix it.

A co-worker is showing off her Ring doorbell video. Iā€™d love to show my coworkers what a Wyze cam can do, but with bugs like this, thereā€™s no way Iā€™m going to recommend Wyze.

Fix it.

1 Like

I had the exact same thing happen with a Ring Doorbell 2 video this morning with a JVC head unit. So you might want to direct your misplaced anger at the head unit designers. As has been discussed in this very thread many times this is a Bluetooth issue not a Wyze or Ring or Arlo issue. And yes the same issue is being discussed in the Arlo and Ring forums.

3 Likes

Yeah, for the record ā€“ my Ring app does the exact same thing. Haha.

3 Likes

I was bothered by this problem, too, but now realize that the problem is the head unit, not Wyze. When you watch the feed through the wyze app, youā€™re not just watching a streaming video like YouTube or Netflix. Itā€™s a video feed thatā€™s combined with 2-way audio (you can use the mic to speak through the camera). The head units are too dumb, and interpret this as a phone call because thereā€™s 2-way audio capability. Those head units have the same problem with other brand security cams that have 2-way audio. For Wyze to fix this theyā€™d have to take away that feature from the camera and app.

3 Likes

The problem is present on two different cars, my bluetooth speaker, all my bluetooth headphones, etc.
Itā€™s not the head unitā€™s problem.
Itā€™s the Wyze app. Kill the Wyze app, and all my Bluetooth devices work normally again.

If the Wyze developers canā€™t make the feature work without breaking basic functionality of my phone, they shouldnā€™t do it. I donā€™t care if Ring does it too. That doesnā€™t make it okay.

At least give us a workaround. I donā€™t need to talk through my Wyze cam. Let me disable that and stop breaking my bluetooth.

You really donā€™t get it. Not sure how better to explain it. If I sit in my car and fire up the Ring app it does the same thing. In fact if I fire up ANY app that connects to ANY camera with audio via Bluetooth it does the same thing. If I kill ANY of those apps everything works in the car normally.

How exactly is an issue with Ring and Logitech Wyzeā€™s fault??

Yeah. I mean, based on what Iā€™ve seen from all the comparable apps, I think thatā€™s just how things work when a stream supports the option of two-way audio. ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ Iā€™m not sure whether they can separate the two or not. Based on what Iā€™ve seen ā€œin the wildā€ from my other comparable apps, it looks like maybe they canā€™t. I do agree that itā€™s annoyance, but itā€™s a minor one. I guess Iā€™m not trying to look at my cameras while Iā€™m driving all that often.

The work around is to close the wyze app before getting into a car that supports Bluetooth. I guess they donā€™t want us to wyze and drive.

It IS the Wyze app. As dalesd said, Wyze should provide a work-around by allowing the audio channel to be optioned off. A simple fix.

1 Like

Yep they could do that. But so too would Ring, and Nest, and Amazon, and Logitech since all those apps cause the exact same issue. Or the Bluetooth protocol could be changed to differentiate.

Here you go. A thread from Tesla, in 2017, about the same issue. Before Wyze existed. Itā€™s a Bluetooth issue. I found similar issues going back to before Wyze existed. Do a quick Google search.

Now that said, Wyze and others might be able to mitigate the issue by turning the 2 way audio off on demand. But that has its own issues with all the folks not having the issue.

The only real solution is to have Bluetooth itself fixed.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/car-thinks-phone-call-progress-when-i-get-car

3 Likes

Into a new decade and this is still an issueā€¦

Yep! The Bluetooth implementation still has not changed. And not likely to either. Too many vendors. Most head ends in the lower end use an older cheaper Bluetooth version.

Over 50 years ago we managed to put a man on the moonā€¦and here we are 50 years later, with phones that individually have more processing power than all of the computers used to land on the moon combined (100,000 times more processing power than the Apollo computer, 7 million more times the memory), no one can make a security camera app that doesnā€™t hijack your carā€™s bluetooth!

I can confirm that these same symptoms still persist with a Verizon branded Galaxy S9 on Android 9 UI 1.0 Kernel 4.9.112-17018887 using the latest Wyze app v2.7.19. The bluetooth connects to both my vehicles, and immediately initiates a silent call to itself, preventing any other audio from playing.

Yes indeed. Same thing happens to my car when I use my Ring Doorbell. Or my Amazon Key Cam. My goodness you would almost think it had something to do with Bluetooth in certain cars and head ends? Imagine that!

1 Like

Youā€™re sarcasm is misplaced: 1) I have installed those applications and verified they do not cause bluetooth problems merely being installed. 2) The Wyze app does cause bluetooth problems not when in use (that would be a non-issue) but merely the presence of the application being installed on the device. A factory Fiat and Dodge do not have issues with any other application, and the issue is resolved by removing the Wyze app. This is a widespread long-term unresolved and device breaking flaw, completely unacceptable, and not an industry norm.