Bluetooth major bug- still here 6 months later. Where is Wyze support?

That is quite possible as typical Wyze use is to view a camera and then press the home button on the phone to exit, however, applications should not be maintaining control of the mic (what appears to be the issue) as a background process when they are not open.

This seems like a serious security vulnerability since a breech could mean access to spying on people through their mics that remain open even without the app open. After all, we just had a security scare with Wyze releasing our information to the dark web thanks to the latest breech.

In any case, the public needs to be made aware that normal Wyze use is likely to cause problems with bluetooth devices, such as in their vehicle (which almost every car has these days). It certainly would have influenced my decision to purchase the product.

The public is aware of the issues. And as I have stated over and over the issue has been around since before Wyze existed. In this exact thread I posted a link from another forum 6 months before Wyze existed that shows the exact same issue with another vendors App and Camera.

This is NOT a bluetooth problem, this is a WYZE problem. If it were a bluetooth problem, then simply uninstalling the WYZE application would not resolve the issue, which it universally does. This is a problem with WYZE maintaining access to the microphone as a background process even when the application is not running, which is unacceptable and a privacy concern as it shouldn’t be maintaining an open link to the mic even when the app isn’t being used, that’s a spyware red flag.

Bluetooth is not the problem, applications that won’t let go of the microphone when not in use are. The workaround for example of exiting your camera feed back to the Wyze homescreen and then exiting Wyze application demonstrates this fact.

Duncan I am trying to avoid making this about you because I believe you are sincere. But I am and have been a developer for near 40 years. I have developed Bluetooth apps since before Bluetooth was called Bluetooth. Let me assure you this issue exists in numerous apps including ones you say it does not. The issue is primarily one of definition and is VERY well known in the community.

I hope you are not part of the Wyze development team, because it could explain the total lack of action on this flaw with such a blase dismissive attitude. Bluetooth didn’t even exist until the 90s, and the current iteration is only three years old. I can assure you this is an application level issue that can and should be fixed, and the fact that there are other applications that have the same fault of allowing their applications to run constantly in the background when not in use, likely to collect user data to sell on the market, which even big companies like Facebook are notorious for is not and should not be acceptable.

Facts:

1. This issue does not exist without the Wyze application installed.
  2. This issue can be alleviated by exiting the Wyze video feed before exiting out of the app, demonstrating a clear app issue with releasing the microphone.
  3. Userbase need to be made aware that this product is likely to cause headaches with their vehicle connectivity, and cause a tremendous amount of frustration because users that are not technically savvy will not likely be able to narrow down the problem to the offending app quickly if at all.
1 Like

Some posts have been removed that do not follow the Community Guidelines. Please confine comments to the subject and not the person posting.

4 Likes

I am continuing to report this to the team. If you are interested, please send in a log for this issue by recreating it and then going to Account > Help & Feedback > Report an Issue.

2 Likes

[full quote of replied-to post removed]

I have been able to confirm that these steps will prevent the issue from happening.

I have been able to recreate the issue by not backing out of the live stream before closing out of the app.

1 Like

Facts,

This thread from Tesla’s forum 6 months before Wyze was founded show the issue existed before Wyze.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/car-thinks-phone-call-progress-when-i-get-car

Loading an application will not cause the issue unless you have actual 2 way audio cameras defined in the app. In other words loading the Ring app when you don’t have any Ring cameras will Not cause the issue.

I have Ring, Wyze, Nest, Arlo cameras among others. The issue is present in ALL cases. In the user forums for ALL the other devices are similar threads exist showing the exact same issue.

This issue is fully documented on numerous Bluetooth Forums. I realize it is annoying as I myself experience it with one or another vendors cameras. Seems to depend a great deal on which camera I was last using or currently using.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I’m still experiencing the issue and it’s still annoying but I can bypass the issue quickly by simply hanging up/ending the call.

Basically what happens is the Wyze app hijacks my phone via the car’s bluetooth and causes the phone to call itself. If I simply hang up the call, I can go back to using my car’s bluetooth normally to make calls, stream music from the phone or another BT device, etc…

3 Likes

Yep that works for me as well. However one day something caused for lack of a better explanation a feedback loop that caused a loud squeal to come from the car radio. That was actually painful. Has never happened again and I hope it never does.

I am attempting to use the wyze lock and they recommend running the app in the background. I have about 15 cameras as well. Having to hangup every time I get into the car is a big pain. I don’t care if this is a known Bluetooth problem. It only happens when the wyze app is open. So wyze is the trigger that causes the phone call to initiate. Give us an option to kill audio or whatever is causing this issue. It’s a pain in the butt!

2 Likes

It’s not a true fix, but you can stop the issue by disabling microphone access in the Wyze app settings.

settings > apps > Wyze > Permissions

1 Like

Occurs here as well. Very annoying that Wyze creates calls in-car.

Just want to say, it is happening here as well.
S10+ Android 10. Uninstalled Wyze app and all is fixed. Considering I just got the camera from Amazon, I think I am going to return it since Wyze clearly has not fixed the problem.

Removing the microphone permission doesn’t fix it.
I removed the mic permission and the problem continues.

There is this other app I use, VOXER, had the exact same issue, they fixed it under 1 week.

Yeah, Removing the mic permission used to work, then it seemed like the last update killed it. It’s almost like they are actively trying to keep the problem from being fixed :frowning:

The only thing that works now, is just to make sure the app is not running in the background every time I get in the car.

Going off what the OP says this started as early as spring of '18 here is a spring of '20 update that this is still a problem.
Wyze v2
Mazda CX3
Pixel 4xl
If I have the app running at all, even in the background, when I start my car this problems occurs. As soon as it tries to connect to the phone over bluetooth it starts a call with itself and plays audio from the phone microphone over the cars audio. Killing the wyze app fixes it thankfully, but if I forget to kill the app after using it, this happens every time I turn my car on.

2 years and wyze still hasn’t fixed this. They have time for scales, thermometers, bulbs, switches, sensors and health trackers (many of which no one asked for) but they can’t fix some of their original software and hardware issues.

1 Like

No one apparently reads anymore.

1 Like